Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass Little Mark iii died

johnny2shoes

Evening all, 

My LM iii (manufactured 2011) died the other week, it hadn't been used for two years, worked with a little use for 20 minutes then there was no power. I tried new leads and then the replacement fuse in the power which blew straight away without it powering on. 

Online searches indicate its common, and will require a new PCB, particularly because Mark Bass won't provide parts or schematics to anyone but their approved engineers. 

Does anyone have this experience? And how much did it cost to repair? Luckily I work outside of Sheffield near to Real Electronics so I can drop it off rather than ship. They charge 35 quid to diagnose it. Trying to work out if its worth paying or putting it towards another amp given its age. 

Thanks everyone 

Dave 

IMG_20191229_233536.jpg

I know s couple of people who had Little Marks repaired by Real and they were in the £150 - 180 range. This was just the repair cost.

I believe they will supply/sell pcb's, but you still need someone to diagnose which one needs replacing. Don't they waive the £35 if you go ahead with the repair?

Morning, thanks for the reply 

They've just emailed me as they've been closed for Christmas. Quoted 69 plus vat for labour and 79 plus vat for a new PCB if they can't repair at component level. 

Almost as much as picking up another second hand one or another different head, but always a chance that would fail at some point. 

If looking at a forward thinking solution Ashdown RM 500 EVO II is a good one to consider. These amps can be fixed quite easily from my understanding, plus being based in the UK makes arranging any necessary works much easier. Sound and volume wise they also deliver big time.

Thanks both. I have a MAG 300 stored away as a spare but the small amps are ideal for my main rig (mrs friendly). It seems a waste to bin the LM iii but their problems seem a little too common. 

I'll give it some thought over the weekend. I might get lucky and they can repair it without a new PCB. 

53 minutes ago, johnny2shoes said:

I might get lucky and they can repair it without a new PCB. 

As a long term Mark Bass fan and from what I have learned and seen, everything inside is mounted on a number of PCB's and Real don't do anything at component level. It sounds like it could be a Power Supply problem and that is all mounted on 1 board. The other thing to consider is that if it is a Class D model then it really is a "swap a board" excercise.

I am having a problem with a 12 year old SA450, (Little Mark with parametric mids), that has suddenly sunk to practice level volume after not being used for 6 months or so. It just isn't worth chucking nearly £200 at it as it's only worth around that figure. Problem is i haven't found anything to touch it for sheer "grunt"

I had Real repair my TC head and the bill came to more than it cost me to buy the thing in the first place.  I am rapidly moving from Markbass zealot to Ashdown convert.  When they go wrong some friendly guys in Essex invite you down to to sup tea, eat biscuits and watch while a skilled operative kisses your knobs better.  Um, not sure that came out as I intended

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I know s couple of people who had Little Marks repaired by Real and they were in the £150 - 180 range. This was just the repair cost.

I believe they will supply/sell pcb's, but you still need someone to diagnose which one needs replacing. Don't they waive the £35 if you go ahead with the repair?

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

As a long term Mark Bass fan and from what I have learned and seen, everything inside is mounted on a number of PCB's and Real don't do anything at component level. It sounds like it could be a Power Supply problem and that is all mounted on 1 board. The other thing to consider is that if it is a Class D model then it really is a "swap a board" excercise.

I am having a problem with a 12 year old SA450, (Little Mark with parametric mids), that has suddenly sunk to practice level volume after not being used for 6 months or so. It just isn't worth chucking nearly £200 at it as it's only worth around that figure. Problem is i haven't found anything to touch it for sheer "grunt"

I think you're right, I've been put off buying another MB. I like the look, sound and build quality but they're internals don't seem up to much given how many are having to be repaired. 

I don't play too much these days so don't want to invest loads, but the Peavey with its guarantee sounds promising, or even the little trace elliot but I'd expect I'd find it under powered after a while. 

I'll sleep on it, I don't like the idea of chucking the little mark, but I'd struggle to sell it for parts, will end up a doorstop or in the tip. 

Ha I love the response 

I have a MAG 300 I've had for years, not too fond of the sound with the mag speakers, but it works. 

I've just picked up a BF One10 with the idea of keeping small and using the little mark, but don't like the idea of paying nearly 200 quid to repair it. Hmm...... Decisions..... 

I have the same problem with my Little Mark Tube, seems no way round it, though £200 ish is still less than the prices people are selling them at on the marketplace here.

I can't blame MB for the failure, I knocked my stack over with the MB on the top. I had a look inside and I even found a circuit diagram on Talk Bass but it isn't really user serviceable.

I've bought the Peavey, it sounds better than the MB but I'll still get that repaired, I won't buy another unless I hear they are handling their repairs differently. 

16 hours ago, johnny2shoes said:

I'll sleep on it, I don't like the idea of chucking the little mark, but I'd struggle to sell it for parts, will end up a doorstop or in the tip. 

If it was going to scrap, I would happily cover the shipping cost and i'd keep it in me garage for spares! My LMIII is showing its age, pots are getting crackly etc. Waiting for the day when it goes, its been getting some constant heavy usage by some heavy hands recently!

• Like 1

Yea I'm kinda thinking it's worth repairing. I bought it second hand a few years ago. Wouldn't buy another MB product though. Tempted by the peavey for gigs and MB for anything else but wouldn't be able to fund everything at once. Might try another fuse or two before taking it to real. 

Thanks for all the feedback

I've taken the plunge for the Peavey minimax at 164 quid rather than give my hard earned cash to Mark Bass for something which light fail again. 

I may decide one day to repair it or donate it to someone for spairs, but not ready to part ways with my doorstop just yet. 

Dave 

I bought a Class D amp from Basschat, about two years ago. When I plugged my bass into it there was a background distortion, every time I played a note, that sounded ominous.

Before I contacted the Basschatter that sold it to me, I opened it up and made sure all the cables were connected securely to the board (they weren't soldered, they were attached using little plastic connectors). 

I replaced the case, plugged my bass back in and the distortion had gone.

I put the issue down to the courier chucking it around in the back of his van.

I've gigged it plenty of times since then and it's never let me down (I do bring a spare, just in case).

My point is, before any money is paid for a repair, it's a good idea to open a faulty amp up and make sure there are no obvious, visible problems, that can be sorted easily.

Which of course you did, without success unfortunately.

Edited by gjones

On 02/01/2020 at 14:10, BassBunny said:

It just isn't worth chucking nearly £200 at it as it's only worth around that figure. Problem is i haven't found anything to touch it for sheer "grunt"

So maybe it *is* worth the 200 after all.

If my LMIII goes, I'd spend the money. I really like the amp and I can't buy something I like as much for that price, so...

19 hours ago, mcnach said:

So maybe it *is* worth the 200 after all.

If my LMIII goes, I'd spend the money. I really like the amp and I can't buy something I like as much for that price, so...

Possibly, but I can't get over spending £200 on something that is possibly not even worth that. The SA450 might be even more to repair as there are only 2 boards in it. The pre-amp board and then a master board that includes the power amp and power supply. I'm sure when I had a look inside my LMII it had a number of boards.

• Like 2