Why become a member? ×

DI Box / Scarlett 2i4 connection

Bobthedog

Previously I have messed around with home recording by plugging my bass directly into my Scarlett 2i4 (2nd gen) (to Mac / Logic Pro X). I now doing more home recording and recently was advised to put my MXR Bass DI box between the two. Rather than using the DI out connection I am connecting bass into input; output to 2i4 just to get a processed signal into the Mac. 

Should I switch the 2i4 to line or instrument input? 

The "inst" with a mono jack is designed to plug a bass or guitar straight into the 2i4 - I think the advice to use a DI is not necessarily correct, unless you actually want the tone from the DI (which you may well). My Presonus Quantum works the same way, with an "inst" button. It makes the instrument see high impedence designed for passive basses and guitars, works fine for active basses as well. You will get a completeley "dry" signal but levels should be good.

If you use the output from your MXR, with a normal instrument cable, you want the "inst" setting as well, but again unless you want the tone from the MXR it's not doing anything.

As an aside, If you use DI from your MXR with an XLR cable, the line / inst knob won't do anything, the DI will give mic level and when you use an XLR cable instead of a jack cable the input socket should assume mic level (I think, check the manual to be sure)  - I checked, and it does. So just plug the DI into the 2i4 with an XLR and it's all good.

See page 10 here: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91RsnLPGQMS.pdf

Edited by adamg67

Adam, many thanks and, if at all,  may go with the DI route using an XLR; using an amp simulator to sort the sound out within Logic Pro X. I did read the manual but was unable to see anything other than using a mic or instrument and was very easily confused. The DI comment was given by a couple of you tube videos and a pro bass player friend of mine. 

If you're using an amp sim, give it a try straight in to the 2i4 in "inst" mode, that's what Focusrite say in the manual. If you've got an XLR cable anyway, try the DI method as well and see which sounds best. 🙂

@Sibob of this parish is involved with Focusrite and might also be able to advise.

I will do and again thank you for the help. 
Part of what I am also trying to achieve is a “hotter” signal. I am struggling with volume using my passive Dingwall, especially when trying to blend with an imported backing track. 

i was hoping that @Sibob would also read this. 

@Bobthedog

Effectively you're not gaining anything from going via a preamp and in over mic level vs utilising your Scarlett's DI (instrument level)....other than the tonal differences/abilities of said preamp of course.
I would argue that recording a passive bass in via DI to the interface, which might result in a lower volume level (not being boosted by a preamp), is easily fixed level wise in the mix, and so it shouldn't really be necessary to use a preamp purely for the reason of boosting volume (unless it's REALLY quiet, and that could be a fault?!). That said, if you specifically want the tonal shaping abilities or characterises of that particular preamp, then go for it! 

As has been said before, if you're going in via 1/4" jack from the MXR you should be set to Instrument level (or 'Inst'), if you're going in via XLR, it doesn't matter as the interface is hardwired to mic level when using XLR.

Anything else, let me know.

Cheers
Si

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

@Bobthedog

Effectively you're not gaining anything from going via a preamp and in over mic level vs utilising your Scarlett's DI (instrument level)....other than the tonal differences/abilities of said preamp of course.
I would argue that recording a passive bass in via DI to the interface, which might result in a lower volume level (not being boosted by a preamp), is easily fixed level wise in the mix, and so it shouldn't really be necessary to use a preamp purely for the reason of boosting volume (unless it's REALLY quiet, and that could be a fault?!). That said, if you specifically want the tonal shaping abilities or characterises of that particular preamp, then go for it! 

As has been said before, if you're going in via 1/4" jack from the MXR you should be set to Instrument level (or 'Inst'), if you're going in via XLR, it doesn't matter as the interface is hardwired to mic level when using XLR.

Anything else, let me know.

Cheers
Si

Si,

Many thanks for this. I will go back to the simplest solution of going direct from bass to 2i4.

As long as you are getting around  ‑20dBFS  when you record everything should be fine.  You can add more volume in the mix at a later stage whereas you can not remove distortion/clipping if you have recorded too 'hot'. This was the first hard learned lesson in my case.  I find the Scarlett records my bass (and guitars)  really well on the instrument input.  Usually the bass just needs a touch of compression post recording and nothing else.  Sansamps also work really well into the mic inputs  for both guitar and bass.

• Like 1