New amp day... it sounds amazing

LukeFRC

So about 9 years ago I sold my first ever bass amp - I replaced it with a

Tecamp Puma,

hellborg pre and ashdown poweramp

thunderfunk 750b

GK rb1001

roland d-bass 210 combo 

Mesa walkabout combo (for the last 4 years) 

and then finally after years of looking trackers down someone who would sell me another one of the amp I had originally ... and it’s immense - it’s like coming home

image.png.c871b2915a3c9b070d1fd1045c4f99ef.png

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, gjones said:

I'll not be going back to my Carlsbro Cobra 90, oh no 😨

I kinda lucked out with the amp the first time - this is pre me finding basschat but somehow I rang Mike Walsh when he had a shop and I think he must have sold it to me below trade price! (Thanks @Cosmicrain

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

The local shop had one of those in there last year and i had a 10min bash on it - i really liked it! Nice to try something a bit unusual and it sounded great.

! which shop was that? and for how much? they can't have had it  online where  google's bots could find it 

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

! which shop was that? and for how much? they can't have had it  online where  google's bots could find it 

It was in GigGear in Harlow. At least a year ago though, maybe even 18 months. It was an amp and matching 15" cab that they had pxed in and I think it was up for just under £600 the lot. I asked how much for the amp but they didn't want to sell it without the cab and I didn't want a cab so the convo ended there. 

Edited by Mudpup

21 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

It was in GigGear in Harlow. At least a year ago though, maybe even 18 months. It was an amp and matching 15" cab that they had pxed in and I think it was up for just under £600 the lot. I asked how much for the amp but they didn't want to sell it without the cab and I didn't want a cab so the convo ended there. 

ahhh it was longer than a year ago... I knew about that one! A friend of someone on Finnbass bought it....  
The story here is - about 5-6 years back I tracked down a fella who had one of these, I think it was a random speculative email as I don't actually remember how I found the guy... anyway, likewise he had a 1x15 that I didn't need and that wouldn't fit in our flat that he wanted to sell with it. So that didn't happen....

After staring at @attackbass's helix rig for a silly amount of time, and having forgotten everything about him other than he went to a heavy metal church linked to the CoE, he ran (and the church) helped run the local foodback I hunted on google and sent a speculative email to the person I thought it might be... turns out he did have it, and did want to sell it.... we even managed to get it delivered via his mum and dad and my mum-in-law and visits around Christmas!  So really random tracking down of a random person... me guessing that I could trust a vicar who spends his working life helping the poor, friendly in-laws and an awesome amp. 

It basically can do super clean. It can do fat and clean-valve, it's got a powerful eq system, and the "tube growl" which is a really natural compressor of some kind... it's just really really musical and fun to play.
I'm coming from a Walkabout which is one of the all time classic bass amp designs, and it's utterly different in a really nice way, less harmonically rich unless I crank up the gain and the tube growl, more 3d and with massive headroom and clarity of note. 

If you keep the filters off, and the eq fairly flat you can hear massive differences between pickup positions on my Lakland 55-94.... on the Walkabout they tended to sound all variations of the same sound (if that makes sense). 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2020 at 17:24, LukeFRC said:

So about 9 years ago I sold my first ever bass amp - I replaced it with a

Tecamp Puma,

hellborg pre and ashdown poweramp

thunderfunk 750b

GK rb1001

roland d-bass 210 combo 

Mesa walkabout combo (for the last 4 years) 

and then finally after years of looking trackers down someone who would sell me another one of the amp I had originally ... and it’s immense - it’s like coming home

image.png.c871b2915a3c9b070d1fd1045c4f99ef.png

That's awesome @LukeFRC! 😊 

H&K gear is great.. 

Like you, I had an H&K head for years - a Bassbase 600 - which I sold a couple of years ago..

Missed it so much I bought another one last summer.

Another true Basschat story of:

'boy finds amp, boy loses amp, boy finally finds amp again'

And they live happily ever after... 😁

• Like 2

On 01/01/2020 at 18:12, scrumpymike said:

... or me to my Linear AC30!  It lived in a metal cage and administered mild electric shocks to the unwary.

Ah the Linear 30. Without it there would have been no British rock n Roll.. The guitarist in one of my early bands played a cheap Strat t copy into a Linear 30 then into a cabinet made from an old wardrobe. He had a tone that Gary Moore would have killed for. It really is all in the fingers.

• Like 1