Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

It's time to kick off 2020 with our first Composition Challenge of the year!

Here's the image for your inspiration, chosen by Dad3353...

1_HWXkDNAIeyzfKLWdM3XWDQ.png

Usual rules apply:

✔️Entries must be < 5 minutes and written/recorded this month. 

No illegal samples or other funny business.

No bagpipes.

Deadline for entries is Friday 24th January.

Just a word on Reaper 6... I've rolled back to Reaper 5, as I've had several 'crashes' with the '6' version. It wouldn't be so bad if there was an 'Autosave' feature, to at least get back something, but there's not, so all stuff done since most recent manual  'Save' is lost. The 'Still Evaluating' prompt doesn't bother me, as I'd pay once I'm happy with its performance, but, for now, I'm using my previous version. As and when new '6' versions are released, I'll try them. I'm fully satisfied with the '5' versions, though, which do all I want (and don't crash...). No common cause for the crashes that I can see; I'm just sketching out the start of the January Challenge, with nothing unusual (for me...) going on.

Just sayin'. :)

• Like 1

Loving the image, song is recorded. Vocals ( I try my best) recorded this weekend then neverending mixing and mastering.

It has been a bit of a delay. The recording sat untouched for two weeks. I've got some time tomorrow to finish of the mixing and mastering.

Edited by SH73
Added

Here is my contribution to the January 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: myself (conjointly with Lurksalot, who made the mistake of letting me choose the picture...)..!
A rather free interpretation of a beat I've had in my head for years, inspired by a part of the Grateful Dead's 'That's It (For The Other One)'. Two Superior drum kits, a couple of Organic organs à la Keith Emerson, and a pair of nylon guitar samples tracks were mixed with Reaper, aided by some Cockos compression and Ozone mastering. A bit rough and ready, I admit, but I like the spontaneity that seems to come out of 'throwing things together'. 
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Im ready to put mine up ....ooh er missus

Not being particularly au fait with the deads , I had  a listen through to some toons and quite enjoyed it, cheers Douglas. Now musically, I just got the guitars out and bashed a few chords and tried to  add different some variation in the patterns to reflect their penchant to jam from one to another, though I did keep a theme through it.

Lyrically, the only thing that I could really come up with as that this picture could well have been the bumper sticker mentioned in Don Henleys boys of summer , so that is the way I went.

Drums are EZ drummer , rhythm guitar- vg iron , other guitar- a red ibby, acoustic -yammy,  keys - technicy , Bass- gordon smithy 

.....er just a warning ........vocals by me aswell 

• Like 1

Hello again, composition chums. Just like Lurksalot, I gave the Dead a good few listens to get a feel and a vibe of where to take the track. However, apart from purloining a snippet or two of lyrical content, I've quite clearly veered off down a different path as I've ended up with something that sounds like Tom Waits sings the Fun Lovin' Criminals. Hey, that's schmoovve.

Guitar Epiphone Gibson Special, Westfield Violin Bass, drums thanks to Looperman and a gruff vocal by yours truly that gave me a really sore throat. It's true that I suffer for my art.

This songs is for all those who had departed their band for one reason or another in 2019. Apologies for bad singing, auto-tune couldn`t bear my voice. All played, apart from drums (Ez drummer) and "sang" by me.

Edited by SH73
Edit

I was just reviewing my Soundcloud page and I noticed that I have about 34 tunes on there that I recorded for Basschat Composition Challenges. That's nearly 3 hours worth of music. Some of it is dodgy but some of it is OK but all of it wouldn't exist without the challenge. I haven't done anything with it for a while. I should get back to it.