Why become a member? ×

Fanned Fret Fretless ....Whot!

Pinball

I just can't handle the concept of a Fanned Fret Fretless bass. Three reasons:

1. I play 5's so after a few drinks I would find it really difficult to talk about my "fanned fret fretless five", especially if Fender made one.

2. A fretless bass is a bass with no frets yes? So a fanned fret fretless can't exist. It would just be a fanned fretless wouldn't it?

3. I'm not keen on fanned fretted bases anyway. I have tried one and agree with Donald Trump's assessment, when he tried one and said "It's nasty, very bad"

Thanks for reading, I'm glad I got that off my chest!

Edited by Pinball
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My first reaction is that I would struggle to intonate anything on a multi scale fretless... but having said that, I seem to move fairly easily between my acoustic and electric double basses, regular long scale fretless bass and my fretless bass uke, and also I found the transition to fanned fret pretty quick, so maybe it’s not as far fetched as one might first think.

Quite fancy a go now actually. 

4 hours ago, therealting said:

My first reaction is that I would struggle to intonate anything on a multi scale fretless... but having said that, I seem to move fairly easily between my acoustic and electric double basses, regular long scale fretless bass and my fretless bass uke, and also I found the transition to fanned fret pretty quick, so maybe it’s not as far fetched as one might first think.

Quite fancy a go now actually. 

I saw someone on the Dingwall thread on TalkBass who had one made and echoed your sentiment. He was a bit nervous to start with, but practice made it much easier.