Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Paul. "Deeper and smoother" ticks a lot of boxes for me. Sounds like I should be sticking with my SR1825 (or getting your 1805 in trade!). 

Although I've got a sneaky suspicion your 1805 may be sticking around :)

No, the 1805 will unfortunately have to go. Bought a BTB1825 last month too 😬

You’ll have to buy it from me Bas! 🤔😆

On 02/02/2020 at 10:52, Woodinblack said:

Still haven't had the chance to try one

eta - Gak have the one I want too, the 1505ms Pacific. But Gak is a long way away!

I love this site, but it has a habit of steering me into all sorts of trials and temptations that I would otherwise be happily oblivious to - like news of the new Ibanez headless! So predictably I get over-excited and, seeing GAK have them in stock, I throw caution to the wind and order one online on Sunday. A confirmation email with the delivery date of Tuesday the 2nd of February arrives that afternoon. Then on Monday afternoon I get an odd email from GAK, stating "...As you are aware, the item you ordered is not currently in stock". I was not aware of that, as on their website it said, in big green letters (and as of this morning, still says) 'IN STOCK'. (https://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-ehb1005ms-bass-workshop-black-flat/932682)

So I phone them up and remonstrate with them regarding their email. They make helpful noises, put me on hold for nearly 10 minutes, then come back and cheerily report there was an error in the ordering process between them and Ibanez's UK distributor, who would be fulfilling the order, but the bass will definitely be on its way the following day, and will be delivered to me on Wednesday. Great, problem solved I think.

However, when I get home shortly afterwards my missus tells me 'some guitar shop' had been on the phone. Using 1471, it turns out it was GAK. Quite how they have my home number and not my mobile is something of a mystery, but I bought a bass from then 5 or 6 years ago, so perhaps I'm still on their database. The call was received about 10 minutes after I had spoken to them, but it's now too late to ring them back, so they'll call again tomorrow, I assume.

Then.... (drum roll) I notice an email timed a few minutes after they called the house.

"I've just been trying to call you. Unfortunately the suppliers have said that the stock they have of this guitar has all failed quality control! They are sending them all back to the manufacturers and won't have new stock for a while.
Sincere apologies for this inconvenience. Please let me know how you would like to proceed?"

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by this. Are ALL the new basses sub-standard? Or did they jump the gun and advertise them online before any have actually landed on these shores and are now furiously back-pedalling? I don't know. If I can find a number for Ibanez's distributors, I might ring them up and ask what's going on. Suffice to say I replied to GAK's email, telling them I thought their excuse was utterly bizarre and to cancel my order and refund me. Andertons website says they'll have them by the end of the month, and they're just down the road from me, so I think I'll hold on and try one first!

It's a tough job being an early adopter, but someone's got to do it...
Edited by lowregisterhead
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by this. Are ALL the new basses sub-standard? Or did they jump the gun and advertise them online before any have actually landed on these shores and are now furiously back-pedalling?

I was tempted to order, but I really want to try it first.

I find it very odd that GAK have them in stock, whereas all the other companies are showing stock not due until the end of Feb or the beginning of March. Very odd, as in I don't believe it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lowregisterhead said:

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by this. Are ALL the new basses sub-standard? Or did they jump the gun and advertise them online before any have actually landed on these shores and are now furiously back-pedalling? I don't know. If I can find a number for Ibanez's distributors, I might ring them up and ask what's going on. Suffice to say I replied to GAK's email, telling them I thought their excuse was utterly bizarre and to cancel my order and refund me. Andertons website says they'll have them by the end of the month, and they're just down the road from me, so I think I'll hold on and try one first!

I think you should call them.

Ibanez are distributed in the Uk by Headstock distribution and their contact number is: 0121 508 6666

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

"I've just been trying to call you. Unfortunately the suppliers have said that the stock they have of this guitar has all failed quality control! They are sending them all back to the manufacturers and won't have new stock for a while.
Sincere apologies for this inconvenience. Please let me know how you would like to proceed?"

I would also pop a screengrab of the email on the Ibanez UK page - that's a big claim to make regarding Ibanez' QC and would be interesting to see what they make of it

https://www.facebook.com/ibanezuk/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

I love this site, but it has a habit of steering me into all sorts of trials and temptations that I would otherwise be happily oblivious to - like news of the new Ibanez headless! So predictably I get over-excited and, seeing GAK have them in stock, I throw caution to the wind and order one online on Sunday. A confirmation email with the delivery date of Tuesday the 2nd of February arrives that afternoon. Then on Monday afternoon I get an odd email from GAK, stating "...As you are aware, the item you ordered is not currently in stock". I was not aware of that, as on their website it said, in big green letters (and as of this morning, still says) 'IN STOCK'. (https://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-ehb1005ms-bass-workshop-black-flat/932682)

So I phone them up and remonstrate with them regarding their email. They make helpful noises, put me on hold for nearly 10 minutes, then come back and cheerily report there was an error in the ordering process between them and Ibanez's UK distributor, who would be fulfilling the order, but the bass will definitely be on its way the following day, and will be delivered to me on Wednesday. Great, problem solved I think.

However, when I get home shortly afterwards my missus tells me 'some guitar shop' had been on the phone. Using 1471, it turns out it was GAK. Quite how they have my home number and not my mobile is something of a mystery, but I bought a bass from then 5 or 6 years ago, so perhaps I'm still on their database. The call was received about 10 minutes after I had spoken to them, but it's now too late to ring them back, so they'll call again tomorrow, I assume.

Then.... (drum roll) I notice an email timed a few minutes after they called the house.

It's a tough job being an early adopter, but someone's got to do it...

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I think you should call them.

Ibanez are distributed in the Uk by Headstock distribution and their contact number is: 0121 508 6666

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

I would also pop a screengrab of the email on the Ibanez UK page - that's a big claim to make regarding Ibanez' QC and would be interesting to see what they make of it

https://www.facebook.com/ibanezuk/

It turns out this quality control failure claim is utter nonsense. I just spoke to Headstock Distribution (who are also Ibanez UK on Facebook) and they were very helpful. They have no stock in the UK apart from samples at present, and they don't expect any shipments of sale stock until March/April. As I suspected, GAK were blowing smoke in an attempt to cover up the fact that they had no business offering the EHB basses for sale, as there are none to be had.

It just seems a pointlessly reckless act to make such an unguarded statement bringing Ibanez's quality control into question in an email to a customer. The bottom line is I won't be buying from GAK again.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

It just seems a pointlessly reckless act to make such an unguarded statement bringing Ibanez's quality control into question in an email to a customer. The bottom line is I won't be buying from GAK again.

I hope you will let them know that.

• Like 4

Yeah - that's really poor customer service; shafting your own suppliers to try and cover your mistakes to a customer.

They're also a bit more than daft trying it on with a supplier the size of Ibanez (not that I'd expect it to happen to a small supplier either, but they have less clout.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Do let us know what GAK say when you tell them you know they were lying to you.

No need to be polite - this was lying, and was lying in a manner likely to damage the reputation of Ibanez.

I think we should demand a 20% discount for verified BC users to buy from GAK in the future 😂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

It turns out this quality control failure claim is utter nonsense. I just spoke to Headstock Distribution (who are also Ibanez UK on Facebook) and they were very helpful. They have no stock in the UK apart from samples at present, and they don't expect any shipments of sale stock until March/April. As I suspected, GAK were blowing smoke in an attempt to cover up the fact that they had no business offering the EHB basses for sale, as there are none to be had.

That, to be honest, is shocking practice.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2020 at 13:47, BigRedX said:

I hope you will let them know that.

On 04/02/2020 at 15:48, fretmeister said:

Do let us know what GAK say when you tell them you know they were lying to you.

No need to be polite - this was lying, and was lying in a manner likely to damage the reputation of Ibanez.

This is what I just emailed to them. As tempted as I was to be profane, I'm just not that kind of guy... :-)

---------------------

Hi xxx

Thank you for sending the refund (although of course with PayPal it will be at least another 5-7 working days until the funds are actually returned to my account).

To say I’m bemused by this whole episode is an understatement. After making some enquiries I have discovered the following:

1) There is currently NO sale stock of Ibanez EHB basses in the UK.

2) Due to this, GAK’s online advertising of these instruments for sale as stock items is utterly misleading.

3) As no stock is expected to arrive at the UK distributors until late March at the earliest, it follows that none can have ‘failed quality control’ or have been sent back to the manufacturers from your suppliers as you stated in your email.

As you may have gathered from the info above, it took very little effort to track down a contact number for Headstock Distribution and give them a call. They were very helpful. If you haven’t already heard from them, you should expect a call from their Product Manager shortly to discuss your company’s sales strategies, and apparent willingness to bring the quality of Ibanez products into question in an attempt to cover up your own dubious practices.

It should also come as no surprise that I will never do business with GAK again. As a professional musician of many years standing, I also feel compelled to inform my many friends and colleagues of the standard of customer service they might expect from your company.

Regards

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It isn't just GAK guilty of it, there has been several times before when I have preordered something at the only store that says In Stock, only to find it isn't afterwards and promptly cancelling, wasting everyones time.  Its really misleading practice as they know some people won't bother cancelling and will just wait.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1