Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Have to agree, Nords sound better on these videos anyway.

Looking forward to seeing these out and about! 

To be honest, whenever I view these sorts of videos, everything sounds terrible to me. I spent a day on YouTube a while back going through bass videos and I thought about 1% of the basses played sounded ok. I know from experience that many of the videos don’t do the instruments justice IMO; it just seems to me that there are an awful lot of bassists out there fascinated by what I consider a hideously thin, nasal sound that would get lost in the context of most bands. 

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

To be honest, whenever I view these sorts of videos, everything sounds terrible to me. I spent a day on YouTube a while back going through bass videos and I thought about 1% of the basses played sounded ok. I know from experience that many of the videos don’t do the instruments justice IMO; it just seems to me that there are an awful lot of bassists out there fascinated by what I consider a hideously thin, nasal sound that would get lost in the context of most bands. 

Lots of the Dingwall videos sound like this, like a weird djent/mathcore weird sound. Like all the bits I’d take out of my sound...

Anyhow, that’s how they probably need to sound to cut through mad scooped chugging guitars haha.

• Like 1

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Lots of the Dingwall videos sound like this, like a weird djent/mathcore weird sound. Like all the bits I’d take out of my sound...

Anyhow, that’s how they probably need to sound to cut through mad scooped chugging guitars haha.

Weird isn’t it? To me though, it sounds like it’s probably filling exactly the same frequencies as the scooped guitars! There’s no body at all, no meat, no potatoes, not even parsnips!

Just now, therealting said:

Agreed, completely different to the actual sounds I’ve gotten from mine. 

Whenever I’ve played Ibbys I tend to whack the bass and mid controls up and either keep the top flat or back it off, so it’s a sort of thick, midrangey tone. The exact opposite of all these vids. Each to their own I suppose.

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

And mine! Though we play Dingwall Supers and those djentish videos tend to be played on the AB/NG/Combustion basses.

Also true, but the Combustion I had previously also got a fairly conventional modern (not djenty) bass tone. 

33 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’d like to hear some Dingwalls being used for Duck Dunn lines.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

But the combustion I had really did sound like that first video, it was very lifeless.

27 minutes ago, therealting said:

Also true, but the Combustion I had previously also got a fairly conventional modern (not djenty) bass tone. 

I was always hoping that the other dingwalls sounded different to the combustions. I loved the neck on the combustion but couldn't live with the tone, never had a chance to listen to one of the canadian ones in the flesh. Maybe these ibbys will have a more combustion like neck (the SR805s didn't).

19 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

But the combustion I had really did sound like that first video, it was very lifeless.

I was always hoping that the other dingwalls sounded different to the combustions. I loved the neck on the combustion but couldn't live with the tone, never had a chance to listen to one of the canadian ones in the flesh. Maybe these ibbys will have a more combustion like neck (the SR805s didn't).

I’ve played 2 or 3 Combustions and also found them lifeless. But to be fair, most of the sounds I lean towards are pretty coloured. 

The most disappointing thing about the Ibbys for me is the lack of 16.5mm spacing. I struggle ergonomically with the SRs, otherwise I’d have a couple, so these - assuming I get on with the body shape - would have been great. The 1 company I can usually rely on!😉

Edited by 4000

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

How's the Combustion/Dingwall neck? Is it more like a P/Stingray or a J? I never tried one but from what I've read the nut witdh is 42mm, like the Stingray/Precision?

Edited by kyuuga

40 minutes ago, kyuuga said:

How's the Combustion/Dingwall neck? Is it more like a P/Stingray or a J? I never tried one but from what I've read the nut witdh is 42mm, like the Stingray/Precision?

No, like none of those. It is very flat, very wide and very thin. Speaking as someone who whinges endlessly about necks being too wide, I found it very nice, I assume it must be the thinness of it, as it is pretty wide. Both stingray and p necks are like baseball bats. So I guess it is a bit more like a wider thinner J. Closer to an Ibanez really.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

No, like none of those. It is very flat, very wide and very thin. Speaking as someone who whinges endlessly about necks being too wide, I found it very nice, I assume it must be the thinness of it, as it is pretty wide. Both stingray and p necks are like baseball bats. So I guess it is a bit more like a wider thinner J. Closer to an Ibanez really.

One of the nicest 5 string profiles I’ve played. 
The Dingwall Super p does a really authentic p bass sound. Maybe a tad modern due to the neodymium mags but don’t worry no one is really listening that closely. It was very easy to make it work in a band.  

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

One of the nicest 5 string profiles I’ve played. 
The Dingwall Super p does a really authentic p bass sound. Maybe a tad modern due to the neodymium mags but don’t worry no one is really listening that closely. It was very easy to make it work in a band.  

+1 to all of this. They’ve made the Super P pickups to have an authentic voicing but with quite a hot output. My Super Ps are hotter than any of the active basses I’ve owned.