Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

On 19/01/2020 at 07:50, Raslee said:

will probably be in the market for a lightweight 5 later this year and the EHB1505 in blue is really peaking my interest. Has anyone got any information on the weight of these per chance?

Well! I got one recently off Bax Music Shop (I know, a miracle) - they're out of stock in most places, only seen one in stock in a shop in Spain via Reverb. 

I got mine to substitute both my 4 and 5 as I'm downsizing (new home renovation, will you please look at that horrible pub carpet) and wanted something light ergonomic and able to do both nice cleans for my neosoul project and metal tones alike...

Mine is coming at 3.1kg / 6lbs 13oz- Nice eh? 

Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 13.51.34.png

Edited by Ander87
adding a picture of the new bae.
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Well! I got one recently off Box (I know, a miracle) - they're out of stock in most places, only seen one in stock in a shop in Spain via Reverb. 

I got mine to substitute both my 4 and 5 as I'm downsizing and wanted something light ergonomic and able to do both nice cleans for my neosoul project and metal tones alike...

Hope thats not the old one I returned to them :D

15 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Well! I got one recently off Bax Music Shop (I know, a miracle) - they're out of stock in most places, only seen one in stock in a shop in Spain via Reverb. 

I got mine to substitute both my 4 and 5 as I'm downsizing (new home renovation, will you please look at that horrible pub carpet) and wanted something light ergonomic and able to do both nice cleans for my neosoul project and metal tones alike...

Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 13.51.34.png

That’s a beauty! How are you finding it? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Foureyes said:

I have to admit the expectations for this bass were huge - we're renovating the house and I decided that I can downsize to do both my bands with this bass alone and cash some money in for the reno.

I've had MM SR5 special, Spector Legends, Sadowsky, Sandberg, Lakland... and most recently a Dingwall D-Roc.

I wasn't expecting much from Ibanez (don't know why but I just don't love the brand) but my bass came in good condition, tuned perfectly (shocker with this temperatures in the UK, coming from Netherlands). Compared to all those I've had before I'd say it's in my top 3 basses, especially factoring how I can't tolerate basses over 4kg.

My quickest review is that this is a Hi-Fi, brighter version of my D-Roc that maintains the lows I need for my bands.

The glow-in-the-dark dots seem to be quite a disappointment though but nobody in their right mind would keep that in their top 5 features to get a bass - it doesn't bother me. The knobs are objectively a disappointment, I'm swapping them for East ones, the preamp is pretty decent and quiet I think, fairly transparent I'd say - in no rush to replace it! The gigbag is indeed very 'meh' and will replace it with something decent, thinking of the Mono Sleeve for guitar.

It came very well adjusted and I spread the strings as much as I can - despite the poles on the B string not aligning perfectly due to the spread I can swear I've not noticed a loss in sound. Very versatile, and personally a more comfortable scale vs the 36.25/37 of the Dingwall.

Very nice grain on the top which, considering is poplar burl, it really is a lottery - I've seen some ugly examples like the below that I chose not to go for despite £100 cheaper.

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

I have to admit the expectations for this bass were huge - we're renovating the house and I decided that I can downsize to do both my bands with this bass alone and cash some money in for the reno.

I've had MM SR5 special, Spector Legends, Sadowsky, Sandberg, Lakland... and most recently a Dingwall D-Roc.

I wasn't expecting much from Ibanez (don't know why but I just don't love the brand) but my bass came in good condition, tuned perfectly (shocker with this temperatures in the UK, coming from Netherlands). Compared to all those I've had before I'd say it's in my top 3 basses, especially factoring how I can't tolerate basses over 4kg.

My quickest review is that this is a Hi-Fi, brighter version of my D-Roc that maintains the lows I need for my bands.

The glow-in-the-dark dots seem to be quite a disappointment though but nobody in their right mind would keep that in their top 5 features to get a bass - it doesn't bother me. The knobs are objectively a disappointment, I'm swapping them for East ones, the preamp is pretty decent and quiet I think, fairly transparent I'd say - in no rush to replace it! The gigbag is indeed very 'meh' and will replace it with something decent, thinking of the Mono Sleeve for guitar.

It came very well adjusted and I spread the strings as much as I can - despite the poles on the B string not aligning perfectly due to the spread I can swear I've not noticed a loss in sound. Very versatile, and personally a more comfortable scale vs the 36.25/37 of the Dingwall.

Very nice grain on the top which, considering is poplar burl, it really is a lottery - I've seen some ugly examples like the below that I chose not to go for despite £100 cheaper.

I think you’ve just help me realise I need one! I’ve been eyeing up the 1500/1505 for ages. Looks like a need to pull the trigger now! 😂

Also adding on the above...

I wouldn't say it's the most polished finish/QC I've seen but it is definitely very correct, frets well sanded down and no glue nor bits out of place. Not defending them, but I've seen similar issues in other pricier basses and, regrettably, a certain 'boutique luthier' that had way worse QC and wiring issues. Maybe Ibanez took note of the comments here and there, my bass passed inspection the 30th September 2020.

I love the neck, thin and wide - something I prefer despite my average, not-big hands; the texture of the woods used is lovely and I love the chambering - this bass is definitely by far the most resonant bass that ever landed on my lap. The neck feels super solid.

Wide neck and very comfortable string spacing - I'm a fan of 19mm but with the gauge/setup used I think I'm happy to leave it as is, now that I intend to use pick for one band and fingers for the other...

Just now, Ander87 said:

Also adding on the above...

I wouldn't say it's the most polished finish/QC I've seen but it is definitely very correct, frets well sanded down and no glue nor bits out of place. Not defending them, but I've seen similar issues in other pricier basses and, regrettably, a certain 'boutique luthier' that had way worse QC and wiring issues. Maybe Ibanez took note of the comments here and there, my bass passed inspection the 30th September 2020.

I love the neck, thin and wide - something I prefer despite my average, not-big hands; the texture of the woods used is lovely and I love the chambering - this bass is definitely by far the most resonant bass that ever landed on my lap. The neck feels super solid.

Wide neck and very comfortable string spacing - I'm a fan of 19mm but with the gauge/setup used I think I'm happy to leave it as is, now that I intend to use pick for one band and fingers for the other...

@Foureyes more than happy to answer any specific question!

Edited by Ander87
I don't know how I ended up quoting myself, I hope I'm better at playing bass than using the quoting/edit tool
  • Haha 1

But not to put anyone off, the replacement 1505ms is absolutely lovely. Neck is a bit wider than I would like but thanks to the bridge design I can wind the strings in from their gaping 18mm spacing to something more acceptable. Plays so well, and is so light, also in the one practice I did since the lockdown I took it and other basses, and it was the one I stayed with as it cut through so well.

I see what you mean by the knobs, they are a bit pasticy for something of that price, but it does keep weight down, not something that bothers me much. But maybe I will get some knobs like the shuker has (which has a similar preamp).

Only thing I don't like is the locking socket - who came up with such a daft idea. I keep meaning to remove the springs from mine. Oh, and the big notch I made in the side binding and top of the horn by accidently dropping a metal hard disk on it, but that one isn't ibanezes fault.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

And you don't really want to hear the story of the 3 month return dealing with Bax again.. I have only just calmed down!

OH MY GOD THAT IS DISGRACEFUL!!!!

I have to admit I got lucky with mine, more concerned over Bax than Ibanez's QC - happy to report mine does NOT have that issue... concerning that they're trying to peddle that to customers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foureyes said:

I concur. I have the EHB1506MS and love the top and pretty much agree with all other comments. For many years although I started out as solely 6 string I was solely 5 string with a high C most recently so it's taking a bit of adjusting back to 6. I'm dying to get the short scale 5 string for my general use and it's almost guaranteed that will likely become my main bass to pick up and practise with.

Although I'm an Ibanez fanboy this range typically wouldn't be my thing regarding aesthetics but the ease of playing, weight, ease of access to upper frets, general ergonomics etc mean it gets a significant amount of play time Vs my other basses. The look has now fully grown on me too.

My one ask would be slightly narrower string spacing on the 6 even after adjusting to closet possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

My one ask would be slightly narrower string spacing on the 6 even after adjusting to closet possible

Interesting - I’d say in general (not looking to confront) Ibanez spoils for narrow string spacing. 

I only got my 1505ms since I learnt I could stretch it to almost 19...! Admittedly the only reason I don’t venture over to 6s is cause I can’t find one I can stretch over 18mm. 

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, if they could do the same thing but get the spacing back down to 16.5mm, that would be perfect

Hmm! So on the 6er it’s 3mm (+/- 1.5mm) divided by 5 spaces it’s 0.6mm so a range of 16.4 to 17.6mm (17mm base spacing) ain’t it?

for the 5er, same 3mm divided by 4 spaces so range of 17.25 to 18.75 where 18mm is the default. 

I’d love to try 20mm spacing in a 5er though!

Edited by Ander87

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I have mine on lowest. Couldn't get it down to quite 17.25 for some reason I don't remember, but better than 18.

Yep I am confident on my range calculations above. The 5er is 17.25 to 18.75, the 6er is 16.4 to 17.6mm

Just now, Woodinblack said:

No, I understand the calcuations, I mean physically I couldn't get it to adjust 1.5mm

Oh got it apologies! And odd yes, I didn’t really struggle with mine. 

Easier with 5ers I guess eh, leave the 3rd string where it is, the 1 and 5 spread max and the 2 & 4th strings a bit to the sides. 

Still shocked at the one Bax sent you mate, but glad you got a good unit though!