Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

35 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

For @ambient, Leduc U-Basse 6 Fretless :

60361311_2161339923901045_59461692940133

Ask @greenolive, he now onws my second U-Basse 6 fretted...

Thank you. I quite like that - not sure about the knobs. I’ve seen a few of his basses, they fall into that sector that I really like, where the instruments themselves are works of art. I like the concept of creating music on something that is itself art.

• Like 1

He also has loads of patents for his designs including the free floating top (so you get the acoustic response and feel). The ergonomic is just awesome and the sounds you can get are amazing, but the instrument is unforgiving. These are indeed pieces of art and high engineering as Christophe LEDUC is a graduated architect but preferred to build instruments...

Check this too : http://leduc.fr/index.php/series-l/contrebasse-de-la-serie-l

It took us seven years to finish it... 😉

Edited by Hellzero
Spelling

On 07/02/2021 at 15:33, Storky said:

Talking of knobs. Does anyone have an ehb with knobs that turn smoothly? Mine are a bit stiff and so were the ones on the first ehb I had which was returned due to the cracked “head stock”.

I have just followed suit and got a set of the East knobs and they are nicer, but still stiff on the two stacked knobs. On further investigation I find that the shafts are not vertical, so the knobs are rubbing against the body. Are they all like this?

My first one (also returned with cracked headstock) had stiff knobs (!) also due to non vertical shafts (!) but the replacement was fine, although the East knobs I brought did not fit as well as the original plastic ones and rubbed a bit, so I have kept the plastic ones at the moment 

56 minutes ago, Storky said:

My first one (also returned with cracked headstock) had stiff knobs (!) also due to non vertical shafts (!) but the replacement was fine, although the East knobs I brought did not fit as well as the original plastic ones and rubbed a bit, so I have kept the plastic ones at the moment 

My first one that I sent back due to the cracked headstock had fine knobs, which was good as they just replaced the neck!

It has the east knobs that are close to touching but don't quite. There is no stiffness though.

• 2 months later...

I have one of these and have used la bella nylon tapes. Obviously not together. I can't see a technical reason that it wouldn't work, as the clamp would probably work (I remember the tapes being a bit wider) but it isn't something I would try. However, the basses are very bright (the norstrand ones), so maybe the tapes would tame it all down

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I have one of these and have used la bella nylon tapes. Obviously not together. I can't see a technical reason that it wouldn't work, as the clamp would probably work (I remember the tapes being a bit wider) but it isn't something I would try. However, the basses are very bright (the norstrand ones), so maybe the tapes would tame it all down

Don't know about the Ibanez but I have a custom headless with ABM hardware and there are many strings that refuse to be clamped. 

So, strings I've tried to use with my fretless but have resulted in destruction; TI flats, La Bella nylons, Galli Synthesis, DR Sunbeams.

Not saying the Ibanez will do the same but non double ball end strings in general are not designed to be abused in this cut & clamped way.

I think by going headless you are restricting the type and number of strings you can use.

Edited by Boodang
  • Thanks 1

It's a pretty wide range already. 

4/5 string multiscale (standard and premium options) 

4/5 string normal scale (standard and premium options) 

6 string multiscale 

4 string standard shortscqle

5 string short scale multiscale. 

They'll probably keep it much the same with some new finishes at best. Seems to be the Ibanez way. 

Screenshot_20211213-204726~2.png

• Like 3

I would love it if they did a normal fret medium scale EHB. 32 inch all the way instead of the 32-30 of the shortie fan fret.

And ideally use EMG size pickups. Barts / Nord / Aguilar etc all do versions of their pickups that match both the Bart shape and the EMG shape, but EMG only do their own shape.

There's no downside to EMG shape it just opens up the options a bit more.

I have Aguilar DCB in my EHB but if I could have got EMG Soapbar J without routing it to bits (and it is a chambered bass so I have no idea where the chambers are) then I would have done. And I'd still have the option of all those other great pickups too.

• Like 1

I think the range they have at the moment is one of their best. I've owned the ehb1506ms and slightly regret selling it. I still want to find the 1005ms seafoam used or maybe the 1005sms.

The only thing I'd like them to do is do the more premium without the figured tops and plain colour but with Aguilars already in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

The only thing I'd like them to do is do the more premium without the figured tops and plain colour but with Aguilars already in.

I think we all know that won't happen 😂

In general, guitar manufacturing seems to go more premium features = fancy woods and top veneers. Us plebs only get the solid finishes. 

• Like 1

I just did the Preamp mod to my EHB.

Its very simple, just move 2 plugs to different positions.

1st gives a different “flat” setting that is a bit scooped with more presence. The other is a 6db boost when the preamp is on.

I was in 2 minds about the 6db as often it’s just better to have the preamp be at unity with passive mode so I may well put that back unless I find I’m only using in active.

I’ll report back when I’ve played more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marvin_ said:

I've been using the 6db boost setting for a while and now play pretty much wholly in active mode. The bass was always a touch quiet vs other (passive) basses I own, so this mod gets it much closer so that the compressor settings work.

That's exactly what I'm finding.

Most of my other basses have EMGs and the pickups are very close to the strings so the output is massive at full volume. The Aguilars sound lovely but much lower in output. They barely get the lights on my compressor moving at all.

Mine are about the same volume as the rest of my basses, which is not surprising as the rest of my basses mostly also have nordstrand pickups too!

I wouldn't want a 6db baked in boost on the preamp, any preamp that actually sounds different from passive when flat is broken in my book. I think if I wanted it to be a hotter output I would just put that on the pedalboard. The only things I ever wanted to change the level on was the MFDs on the G&L2500, they were a bit crazy and the wizzard pickups on my own bass, also very hot.

• 3 weeks later...

2022 models in the wild:

https://issuu.com/ibanezgermany/docs/2022_ibanez_fullline_germany

The ehb1006ms is interesting to fill out the basic line. And those T1 pickups are an interesting choice. Be good to see reviews on them as they're in the new extended MS BTBs too.

The new mid level of wood rather than paint but still with BH2s is interesting. Would have rather have seen another Nordstrand model.

Now I know what's coming I'll still be going to get the ehb1005sms, I held of just in case but nothing tempting.

29 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

The new mid level of wood rather than paint but still with BH2s is interesting. Would have rather have seen another Nordstrand model.

Agree, odd choice but presumably one to keep the prices south of £1,500

• Like 2