Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

12 minutes ago, Kev said:

I didn't actually mind her playing, I was more irked that it didn't seem to really correlate with the drum beat in any way other than tempo.

I like how Ibanez are mixing things up, but I really wish they'd develop their made in Japan premium range more, get a real top end bass out to compete with the likes of Strandberg/Dingwall etc.

The Strandberg Boden basses are made in Indonesia as well, and much more expensive. In my opinion the Ibanez EHD makes the Boden bass more or less obsolete, unless you really want that EndurNeck. It would be cool of Ibanez did a Prestige version though. 

45 minutes ago, Marvin_ said:

Looks great in the pink metallic. I had an inexpensive Ibanez guitar which was very well put together, and I've now only got short scale basses which have proven to be more versatile than the common reputation seems to suggest, so hopefully combining the two will work very nicely together.

I hope I have bought well

12 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

The Strandberg Boden basses are made in Indonesia as well, and much more expensive. In my opinion the Ibanez EHD makes the Boden bass more or less obsolete, unless you really want that EndurNeck. It would be cool of Ibanez did a Prestige version though. 

Yeah Strandberg was a bad example, I guess I meant from a price perspective.  But yes, I totally agree that there is no chance in hell you can justify buying a Strandberg over the Nordstrand loaded Ibby's at least.

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

Yeah Strandberg was a bad example, I guess I meant from a price perspective.  But yes, I totally agree that there is no chance in hell you can justify buying a Strandberg over the Nordstrand loaded Ibby's at least.

Yep - I couldn't consider the other options to be fair - Ibanez has done something great with a headless and a broad-ish neck, multiscale.

I do love mine but I will say QC is definitely something that can be improved. It also begs the point that guitars may potentially have in general better QC than basses as they are more mass produced / bigger consumer base...

... I got to think about it when my new PRS Holcomb 7 - a £899 I got on offer from Peach for £699 with better finishes and sturdier feeling than the Ibby bass...

55 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Cheers! I think it was not just worth it but pretty necessary - I was looking into the Hipshot ones but Jesus the bill was getting big! some £50+ for knobs....!

I would be interested in those too. I don't mind the plastic ones, but my shuker which is next to me has those knobs and I do like them. Where are they from?

Oh scratch that, the ones on https://www.east-uk.com/product/knobs-dual/

- ordered!

Edited by Woodinblack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Talking of knobs. Does anyone have an ehb with knobs that turn smoothly? Mine are a bit stiff and so were the ones on the first ehb I had which was returned due to the cracked “head stock”.

I have just followed suit and got a set of the East knobs and they are nicer, but still stiff on the two stacked knobs. On further investigation I find that the shafts are not vertical, so the knobs are rubbing against the body. Are they all like this?

• 2 months later...
On 20/01/2021 at 12:31, Fil1ip said:

I have ordered the ehb1000s Pink metallic, I had the email about the 4th of march arrival.

Hopefully it lives up to expectations, my first ibanez and first short scale

What do you think of it?

• 2 months later...

Which was basically designed by Mike Rutherford and his guitar tech, after Mike (who was about 6’3”) wondered whether his standard Steinberger GL guitar looked a bit small on him! 

Well the Reb Beach cutaway serves no purpose other than extreme whammy dive-bombing - a habit that should not be encouraged in this day and age. Also, it still has a headstock which is not what this thread's all about.

The Steinberger, design is more like it but is still has a rounded, convex bottom to base body contour where as the Ibby's are flatter for two-position playing and in the Strandberg, is amputated entirely so that it is concave in that area. But yes - Steinberger and Mike Rutherford ahead of their time. Reb Beach, a headstock - so very much of its time. 

• 2 months later...
On 01/01/2020 at 18:41, Hellzero said:

No fretless model. A headpiece designed à la Laurus. Not so ergonomical to my eyes. The locking jack is a real pain in the *ss : put one on your amp too, so you can come in front of the stage with your complete rig 😂. It's a bass not a tow truck !

Making headless basses 35 years late is a bit strange. The Strandberg's are more ergonomical (Klein design inspired). And what's this sissies strings spacing, we are not all small guys with cigarette fingers. Never understood Ibanez policy regarding basses. They never make the right bass at the right time. The original AFR was superbly designed, by the late Rolf Spuler, and totally ergonomical, but didn't appeal the bassists at the time.

You want an ergonomical headless bass, try this :

HUb3-5fm1200.thumb.jpg.f4b8d7c33a3d13cdde3acacca22d129f.jpg

He's making headless basses since the first days and knows a lot about ergonomics, being an architect before a luthier, every detail is thought for sound and ergonomy.

I genuinely like your posts. What did you link to there please, it’s not displaying?

On 01/01/2020 at 12:43, bnt said:

Thomann aren't wasting any time either, they already have a video up with the new models Ibanez released today, including the EHB1005MS. (The caption says EHB1000MS, and it's a white model, but it is a 5-string.)

Julia-content ! Awesome 👏