Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

Just now, Ander87 said:

Oh got it apologies! And odd yes, I didn’t really struggle with mine. 

I can't remember what the issue was, but it was a long time ago, as it was the original one which I got in about may.

Would love the 6, especially if the spacing is less, just that it is not a cheap bass, and every time I get a 6 I end up not getting on with it. So until I can get a reasonable second hand its probably not worth looking, and considering supply, it might be a while before there are many second hands.

Just now, Ander87 said:

Still shocked at the one Bax sent you mate, but glad you got a good unit though!

In the end they replaced the neck, I know that it was the same bag with the spacing done, but the neck was a different colour (and 4 months older). I did see another one on the net that cracked the same way but I think that may have been the causes for the slow startup. I suspect Ibanez UK fixed the one that bax sent me, as I talked to them and they were actually helpful, unlike bax.

But can't complain, it is upstairs, and I really enjoy playing it.

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

. I suspect Ibanez UK fixed the one that bax sent me,

Hmm interesting. Can you pass me Ibanez’s details in case I contact them in the future? I only found a ‘Headstock’ distributor but I know your issue is not the first time I see it. 

Funny enough my tuner came with the silliest tiniest chip in the tuner. I’ve repainted this and it won’t show now, but Bax was useless in making amends for this and offered £25 voucher in compensation. 

it doesn’t bother me much really especially considering the low stock for these (GAK told me next order arriving in April) but I guess it’s fair that I’d get a replacement too?

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Hmm interesting. Can you pass me Ibanez’s details in case I contact them in the future? I only found a ‘Headstock’ distributor but I know your issue is not the first time I see it. 

I went through headstock.

Funny enough my tuner came with the silliest tiniest chip in the tuner. I’ve repainted this and it won’t show now, but Bax was useless in making amends for this and offered £25 voucher in compensation. 

Well, thats not so bad. Mine initially wasn't baxes fault (other than they sent me a bass with a cracked headstock), but their return process, unlike all the others I had used where someone turns up and picks it up, involve going to some shop to post it back, which they don't want to do as it is too long, then hermes losing it, then a complete lack of comms and the impossibilty of finding out what is going on.

Their initial delivery wasn't too bad (a few days late, but the pandemic had just kicked in big time at that point).

it doesn’t bother me much really especially considering the low stock for these (GAK told me next order arriving in April) but I guess it’s fair that I’d get a replacement too?

That was the problem I had with bax, that even when they offered a replacement, which I said yes to, deliver was in a week, then 3 weeks, then 3 months. So I said I would have a refund and got a repair.

Oh gosh @Woodinblack I give you that Bax can be difficult, funny enough it’s my first purchase with them and it did come on time etc but I went (post purchase) online to had a look and I’ve heard horrible things.

Maybe that’s why they had stock for this bass where everyone in UK was saying April - I did take their last one on stock it seems. 

4 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Well! I got one recently off Bax Music Shop (I know, a miracle) - they're out of stock in most places, only seen one in stock in a shop in Spain via Reverb. 

I got mine to substitute both my 4 and 5 as I'm downsizing (new home renovation, will you please look at that horrible pub carpet) and wanted something light ergonomic and able to do both nice cleans for my neosoul project and metal tones alike...

Mine is coming at 3.1kg / 6lbs 13oz- Nice eh? 

Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 13.51.34.png

I have to admit I went Sandberg in the end. The QC woes at the time lost my interest and monies. I was so smitten with Sandberg that I had since bought another two. Have to say though your Ibby looks really beautiful. I do love a blue bass - enjoy 😊 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Yep I am confident on my range calculations above. The 5er is 17.25 to 18.75, the 6er is 16.4 to 17.6mm

Ibanez state 18mm for the 1505MS and 17mm for the 1506MS.  I have a GWB1 which is 16.5mm and there is no way this 6er is as narrow as that or even narrower.  I wish it was.  I'm not faulting the math, unless I'm setting it up incorrectly?

5 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

Ibanez state 18mm for the 1505MS and 17mm for the 1506MS.  I have a GWB1 which is 16.5mm and there is no way this 6er is as narrow as that or even narrower.  I wish it was.  I'm not faulting the math, unless I'm setting it up incorrectly?

it can be (note isn't by default) narrower at the bridge - the maths is fine. However, the GWB1 will be probably narrower at the nut.

The necks of the normal SRs are narrower than the EHBs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raslee said:

I have to admit I went Sandberg in the end. The QC woes at the time lost my interest and monies. I was so smitten with Sandberg that I had since bought another two. Have to say though your Ibby looks really beautiful. I do love a blue bass - enjoy 😊 

Hm! Coincidentally I'm coming from a Grand Dark TM5 (on sale) and a Dingwall D-Roc 4 I sold recently - I would've loved to keep both but I had to do the adulting thing to save cash for home works - this bass is as versatile as those and has the added ergonomics and lightweight. Defo blue basses rock, cheers!

The QC is a thing, indeed - I am lucky that mine is in good shape but I was on the fence to an extent - wanting a lightweight/headless 5 that can do both modern and more traditional sounds in a budget sub 1.5k£ / non-customs is tough too so I took a gamble and it worked for me!

52 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:
59 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

it can be (note isn't by default) narrower at the bridge - the maths is fine. However, the GWB1 will be probably narrower at the nut.

The necks of the normal SRs are narrower than the EHBs

This point is actually very good - the nut width will play it's role in the string spacing regardless.

I do reckon though that these measures should be provided as a range, per bass - brands tend to just give you the adjusting spec of the bridge and just, which is only half the truth.

58 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

This point is actually very good - the nut width will play it's role in the string spacing regardless.

I do reckon though that these measures should be provided as a range, per bass - brands tend to just give you the adjusting spec of the bridge and just, which is only half the truth.

So I had another go at adjusting just in case I was missing something and maybe got it a bit more refined especially on the higher strings. Even though I already set I up very low when I got it, actually after also tweaking the truss rod and action more all even lower I'm even happier. They really do play effortlessly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, visog said:

So I starting to GAS for the short scale 5. Question for the EHB owners out there is string changing easy? Wondering about nut slots as I'd probably go for E to C tuning. Thoughts? Experiences?

String changing is easy but I haven't done the E-C thing so I don't know about that.

Placed an order for the 1505SMS (always wanted a short-multi-scale) with Andertons at the weekend, then the due date was pushed back a month to the 5th March on Monday. Therefore it'll be a slightly late birthday present, but I'll share it here when it arrives.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marvin_ said:

Placed an order for the 1505SMS (always wanted a short-multi-scale) with Andertons at the weekend, then the due date was pushed back a month to the 5th March on Monday. Therefore it'll be a slightly late birthday present, but I'll share it here when it arrives.

Do you have a link? Can only find the 1000SMS

1 hour ago, therealting said:

Do you have a link? Can only find the 1000SMS

Think it must be a typo, there is a 1005sms and a 1505ms, not a 1505sms

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ibanez-ehb1005smsemm-ehb-5-string-bass-in-emerald-green-metallic-matte

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ibanez-ehb1505ms-plf-5-string-bass-in-pacific-blue-burst-flat

On 13/01/2021 at 11:35, Marvin_ said:

I have ordered the ehb1000s Pink metallic, I had the email about the 4th of march arrival.

Hopefully it lives up to expectations, my first ibanez and first short scale

Edited by Fil1ip
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fil1ip said:

I have ordered the ehb1000s Pink metallic, I had the email about the 4th of march arrival.

Hopefully it lives up to expectations, my first ibanez and first short scale

Looks great in the pink metallic. I had an inexpensive Ibanez guitar which was very well put together, and I've now only got short scale basses which have proven to be more versatile than the common reputation seems to suggest, so hopefully combining the two will work very nicely together.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 19:30, Dazed said:

Proper yawn fest that demo. I appreciate slapping but that’s just such a limited ad. Shame. 

I didn't actually mind her playing, I was more irked that it didn't seem to really correlate with the drum beat in any way other than tempo.

I like how Ibanez are mixing things up, but I really wish they'd develop their made in Japan premium range more, get a real top end bass out to compete with the likes of Strandberg/Dingwall etc.