Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

13 minutes ago, Kev said:

Yeah Nords are a hard sell to me, they’re so brittle at the top end.  Those barts are too dark though for me, the US Classic Bass versions have much better top end.  I made that upgrade on an SRMS805 and it was night and day.

Kind of wish I had done an upgrade on mine, loved the bass, hated the sound. The nords (which I like) were too expensive for the bass. In hindsight, I should have also done the upgrade on the combustion.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The demo of the 6 is ok, but seriously, I'd love to just hear someone play some actual bass lines on one.

Aretha Franklin / Otis Redding / The Who / etc etc

I have done the first of those quite a bit, but not sure me playing it would tell you a lot except maybe I should practice more!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I tried a lot of basses at Bass Direct this weekend. And really fell for the Strandberg Bogen 5 but I'm wondering if these are remotely in the same league?

Has anyone seen the ehb1005ms appear in Pink now too?! Any other colours on the horizon worth waiting for?

14 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

Has anyone seen the ehb1005ms appear in Pink now too?! Any other colours on the horizon worth waiting for?

No. Still the original colours on the Ibanez site. Have you got a link?

34 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

I tried a lot of basses at Bass Direct this weekend. And really fell for the Strandberg Bogen 5 but I'm wondering if these are remotely in the same league?

I've tried both the Strandberg and the Ibanez and I couldn't see how the Strandberg cost so much more. You could get the Pink and another one (almost) for the price 

Fair enough. I couldn't find anything else on other colours. I wasn't keen on the pink but wanted to just check if it was true there were no other colours. 

Maybe that's my argument to get a 5 and 6 string Ibanez for not much difference over the Strandberg to the wife. As I'm struggling between the two. I've been solely a 5 with high C player for 15ish years but 6 string before that. 

Prefer that black finish on the 6 too. 

2 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Stolen from Reddit - think its either a custom mockup or leaked and unreleased. 

But it looks so nice, shame I don't like the pickups in the 1005

bef7a4e.jpg

For the price difference you could probably get the Nordstrand pickups for it

Good colour!

Going off Ibanez's track record, it is extermelly unlikely that Norstrands would just drop into the routes.  The Bart BH pickups have always had odd dimensions, I'd certainly check that before ordering anything.  For example, the 5 strings BH2's fitted to the SRMS range of basses are actually very similar to a 6 string pickup size.  A standard nordy 5 (or any other) pickup would not drop in. These new basses used BH2s as well, and I'd be surprised if they weren't the same pickup.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Kev said:

Going off Ibanez's track record, it is extermelly unlikely that Norstrands would just drop into the routes.  The Bart BH pickups have always had odd dimensions, I'd certainly check that before ordering anything.  For example, the 5 strings BH2's fitted to the SRMS range of basses are actually very similar to a 6 string pickup size.  A standard nordy 5 (or any other) pickup would not drop in. These new basses used BH2s as well, and I'd be surprised if they weren't the same pickup.

I remember the SRMS being an awkward size, I would have kept mine if I could have got some nords in there.

But the difference with these is that while they might not be a standard size, they do a nord pickup to go in in the other range, so it must be more available than it used to be when it was an expensive custom order.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I remember the SRMS being an awkward size, I would have kept mine if I could have got some nords in there.

But the difference with these is that while they might not be a standard size, they do a nord pickup to go in in the other range, so it must be more available than it used to be when it was an expensive custom order.

I imagine the other bass in the range has a different route.  Its only a few mm here and there, but enough to be a problem.  Unless Ibanez have changed that for this series, I am just concerned that they are still calling it the BH2 pickup, which would be odd if they changed the dimensions as previously they have changed the name (eg the BH1 in the SRFF models was a different size).

Edited by Kev

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I imagine the other bass in the range has a different route.  Its only a few mm here and there, but enough to be a problem.  Unless Ibanez have changed that for this series, I am just concerned that they are still calling it the BH2 pickup, which would be odd if they changed the dimensions as previously they have changed the name (eg the BH1 in the SRFF models was a different size).

Yes, but nordstrand would do a pickup to replace the BH2 in the SRFFs if you wanted, but it was an expensive custom order. I would suspect that Ibanez would contact them and ask them for a size that was the same as the BH2, and they would say "yes certainly!". If they do that, they almost certainly would make it a standard model.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, but nordstrand would do a pickup to replace the BH2 in the SRFFs if you wanted, but it was an expensive custom order. I would suspect that Ibanez would contact them and ask them for a size that was the same as the BH2, and they would say "yes certainly!". If they do that, they almost certainly would make it a standard model.

It was the BH1 in the SRFF, but yes Nordstrand will do a custom "raw" pickup for you for whatever dimensions you give them.  I was just making the point that its not a matter of just dropping a 5 string pickup in there :)

17 minutes ago, therealting said:

Also don’t forget that Ibanez made a high end SRFF with Nordstrands.

They did, but again, if you look at the pickups compared to the BH1s, they are a different shape.  The Nordy pickups used in the Prestige SRFF were standard nordy pickups that would NOT fit into a BH1 route.

Edited by Kev

• 1 month later...