Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

Can't say I'm surprised that GAK didn't have stock in as advertised - unfortunately its not uncommon with online stores these days. I can't believe they would make such a disparaging remark against the manufacturer! You could really harm a firm's reputation making comments like that.

What a cheap way of conducting themselves as a business. I've had no issues with these before but this would certainly make be think twice. I mean is this their MO when they advertise without having the stock?

• Like 2

On 09/02/2020 at 19:37, Kev said:

It isn't just GAK guilty of it, there has been several times before when I have preordered something at the only store that says In Stock, only to find it isn't afterwards and promptly cancelling, wasting everyones time.  Its really misleading practice as they know some people won't bother cancelling and will just wait.

I think that's what it's all about - they have the customer's money for weeks or longer until the item becomes available.

I listed my Ibby SR 1825 on eBay to take advantage of their £1 selling fee and put a placeholder in of a stock photo, with a view to putting the funds towards one of the new headless range. Chap today asked me for some proper photos, which I duly took, but haven't uploaded.

I love playing this bass! It's got such a great punchy tone and is sub 9lbs and I'm going to have a bunch of seller's regret if I move it on! 

Guess I'll have to wait for next year until some used headless Ibbys come available before taking the plunge.

2 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

How are the strings affixed at the (non) headstock? It looks like some kind of screw but are the strings just hacked off just past the screw? Looks sharp/precarious.

Looks like they're fed through a loop of some sort at the front and clamped from behind, the excess string then being cut off cleanly. No need for hacking! 😉

At least there's a small projection at the tip to protect the singer from being poked in the ear by any rough ends, should you care about that! Not bothered myself. Most other headless basses don't have that feature, but the option of being able to use double ball ends would have be nice, I suppose. That said, the choice of double ball strings on the market is pretty limited, and they can be pricey. I'd reckon most would prefer to use the brand, type and gauge they're accustomed to.

24 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

Most other headless basses don't have that feature, but the option of being able to use double ball ends would have be nice, I suppose. That said, the choice of double ball strings on the market is pretty limited, and they can be pricey. I'd reckon most would prefer to use the brand, type and gauge they're accustomed to.

Having looked into getting double ball ends for my Hohner B2V, I am happy to not have double ball ends!

• Like 1

The Bass Centre in London offers their Elites strings in double ball ends too. But all of those on the market are fixed 34" scale, so multiscale is off the table straight away. If I get one of these, I'll just trim the strings and feel for any sharp points. If I find any, a couple of taps from a screwdriver handle should sort that out.

Edited by bnt

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Andertons are getting a stock of the basses in at the end of this week (allegedly).

They're not far from where I live, so when I got my money back from GAK, I went and put a deposit down on a EHB1005MS, so I can have first refusal. If it's not to my taste, they'll refund my deposit.

Hopefully they will turn up! I'll report back once I've actually laid hands on one.

• Like 1