Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Headless basses

bnt

And this mine. Would have also loved it in white, but still damn tasty in black!!

p_region_EHB1005_BKF_1P_01_sub_1.jpg

What's additionally cute about this range is the new EQ set up. Previously Ibbys had a selector switch to choose between 3 mid EQ centres (250Hz, 450Hz and 700Hz). That's been swapped for a continuously variable mid EQ. "Full" semi-parametric mids on the bass itself - nice upgrade!

eb_control_headless.jpg

18mm string spacing on the 5 string rather than the more traditional 16.5mm, which again for many of us will be welcome.

Headless with its chambered body: I'm blushing to think what this is going to tip the scales at!

Looking forward to a trip to Wunjos in the Spring when they start appearing in stock!

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What's additionally cute about this range is the new EQ set up. Previously Ibbys had a selector switch to choose between 3 mid EQ centres (250Hz, 450Hz and 700Hz). That's been swapped for a continuously variable mid EQ. "Full" semi-parametric mids on the bass itself - nice upgrade!

Or maybe going back to old, that is exactly the setup on my SR1000 prestige, which is from 2005. Hope the pots are better than they are on that!

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

They are on Andertons site now.

Yes as previously mentioned. They are on all the major bass suppliers now, andertons, gak, PMT, dawsons etc, but all 'for order'. Last time I ordered a 'for order' from andertons was last september when I was told it would be available around march. I will wait for 'in stock', in fact I will wait for in stock in PMT so I can go and try one!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

And this mine. Would have also loved it in white, but still damn tasty in black!!

p_region_EHB1005_BKF_1P_01_sub_1.jpg

eb_control_headless.jpg

18mm string spacing on the 5 string rather than the more traditional 16.5mm, which again for many of us will be welcome.

Headless with its chambered body: I'm blushing to think what this is going to tip the scales at!

Looking forward to a trip to Wunjos in the Spring when they start appearing in stock!

I've pretty much already decided I'll be grabbing one of these! Same, I'd love it in white, but black is OK. Would love to add some fretboard LEDs to one! 

6 minutes ago, M@23 said:

I've pretty much already decided I'll be grabbing one of these! Same, I'd love it in white, but black is OK. Would love to add some fretboard LEDs to one! 

I look forward to your in depth review Mark! (Although I suspect it's not going to be "helpful"! 😄

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Are they bold or bonkers? Anyone who complains that makers only churn out Fender clones can stop now. But is the world ready for headless again, Status had to bring in heads because they didn’t sell enough headless and whoever sees a Steinberg? God on them for trying but I Seriously don’t think they’ll catch on generally.

These look interesting...

But

The difficulty of getting your favourite brand/type of string in double ball-ache format would put me off. Particularly if you've got the multi-scale 6-er.

Been there, seen the movie, got the T shirt with a Status.

Even if it's got string clamping screws at the top, it's still a real pain.

A pity, because DBE strings can feel really nice in terms of tone, feel and consistency.

1 minute ago, Grahambythesea said:

Are they bold or bonkers? Anyone who complains that makers only churn out Fender clones can stop now. But is the world ready for headless again, Status had to bring in heads because they didn’t sell enough headless and whoever sees a Steinberg? God on them for trying but I Seriously don’t think they’ll catch on generally.

Been a long time since Ibanez could be fairly accused of churning out Fender clones!

Just now, dannybuoy said:

Good to see a few more models with the Nordstrands. Was tempted by one of their previous multi scale efforts but put off by the Bartolinis.

They seem to be switching from Nords to Barts BH2 and Aggie pups with their more recent line ups. Was it a different model of the Bart pups that got a bad rep in the older SR Standard range?

2 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

The numbers of guitarists picking up Strandberg and Kiesel does make me think they're coming around again. We've also seen Chris from Muse wielding a vintage Status headless live, though his main bass is a custom Status with headstock. Ergonomics and balance have become a big thing too.

I've not tried many Bartolini-equipped basses, but the ones I did left me cold. Whereas every demo I've seen of the Nord Big Singles has sounded really lively and growly.

Some of these new finishes are amazing too! I'd go for this out of the headless lineup at Andertons:

369502-EHB1505MS_TSF_1P_01%20-%20Copy.jp

But love the finish on this SR too:

369357-10.JPG?w=1440&h=1440&fit=fill&bg=

4 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

But

The difficulty of getting your favourite brand/type of string in double ball-ache format would put me off. Particularly if you've got the multi-scale 6-er.

It's SBE strings with clamps: you can see the strings poking out the ends a little. Hopefully it's clamp before cut, so no risk of them unwinding on you. They're shipped with D'Addario EXL165 (nickel), they say.

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

They seem to be switching from Nords to Barts BH2 and Aggie pups with their more recent line ups. Was it a different model of the Bart pups that got a bad rep in the older SR Standard range?

It's BH2s on the 1000 range and Nords on the more expensive 1500 range. I don't know what the SRs used to have, but some of the current SR lineup has the same BH2s

15 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

But

The difficulty of getting your favourite brand/type of string in double ball-ache format would put me off.

OE Strings are listed as EXL170-5SL which are single-ended. Looking at the pictures it seems that there is a clamp at the headless end with normal fitment in the bridge and there is no requirement for DBE strings.

No fretless model. A headpiece designed à la Laurus. Not so ergonomical to my eyes. The locking jack is a real pain in the *ss : put one on your amp too, so you can come in front of the stage with your complete rig 😂. It's a bass not a tow truck !

Making headless basses 35 years late is a bit strange. The Strandberg's are more ergonomical (Klein design inspired). And what's this sissies strings spacing, we are not all small guys with cigarette fingers. Never understood Ibanez policy regarding basses. They never make the right bass at the right time. The original AFR was superbly designed, by the late Rolf Spuler, and totally ergonomical, but didn't appeal the bassists at the time.

You want an ergonomical headless bass, try this :

HUb3-5fm1200.thumb.jpg.f4b8d7c33a3d13cdde3acacca22d129f.jpg

He's making headless basses since the first days and knows a lot about ergonomics, being an architect before a luthier, every detail is thought for sound and ergonomy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bnt said:

It's SBE strings with clamps: you can see the strings poking out the ends a little. Hopefully it's clamp before cut, so no risk of them unwinding on you. They're shipped with D'Addario EXL165 (nickel), they say.

It's BH2s on the 1000 range and Nords on the more expensive 1500 range. I don't know what the SRs used to have, but some of the current SR lineup has the same BH2s

I like the sound of the Nords on the 1500 range a lot, particularly if it does deliver the promised hybrid P/J tone. From their website:

Nordstrand™ Big Split custom pickups

The single-coil Nordstrand™ Big Split pickups feature split coils with hum cancelling construction for less noise. Its tone character is a hybrid P/J style and provides a rich and strong, yet well-balanced tone, which fits well with various kinds of playing styles.

Shame that I prefer the simpler white / black finish of the 1000 range! 

Edited by Al Krow