Why become a member? ×

Solid body Ukes

TheGreek

I've been looking at the Kala/ Mahalo/ KAM solid body U Bass/Ukes. Prices range from around £250 for the KAM to over a grand for the top of the range Kala models. I'm not interested in the (TBH incredibly ugly) Ashborys - owned one, not impressed.

There are some videos on YouTube, but TBH the quality of the players varies significantly which makes me question the quality of the instrument.

I've just been watching this video - the player makes it sound superb, especially from 2:22:

Some of the other videos available make the instrument sound less than impressive.

I know that @phsycoandy sold a Mahalo recently and I've PM'ed him for his input but does anybody else have any experience of them? I tried one a couple of years ago at the LBGS but TBH it was for 3 mins and it felt a bit "gadgetty" - I know that better strings have become available since.

I can’t offer any input regarding the solid bodied ubasses, but I have recently put a set of the kala/gallo flatwounds on my ubass & this has tightened up the attack without losing the tone. Martin at the Gallery filed the nut slots, and the strings just feel right now. Although I have only used them on my ubass-1, if I was to ever get a solid uke bass I’d definitely fit a set of these strings as they sound so good and actually stay in tune unlike the stock kala Pahoehoes, or the popular but awful aquila thunderguts.

I've had the lot, Mick, from high-end custom-built jobbies (built for someone else, mind) down to B-stock Thomann cheapies.

In truth I love 'em, but only for the right project. I've used them for steampunk folk bands and for amateur-night Americana bands, and of course for jam sessions and frontroom parties, and they're absolutely right for all those jobs. 

IME by far the biggest difference is to do with string choice. The cheap nylon/rubber strings (like the ones on your old Ashbory) are a PITA to use, more so to tune, and above all to change; plus they give you such a flobbadob sound that they reduce all bass players to the same level.

Unlike Jean-Luc, I actually prefer the Thunderguts to the Pahoehoes, but they're still nylon/rubber. Top tip, take a small can of talcum powder in your gig bag, use liberally before playing.

The new Kala roundwounds (well, new two years ago) are a complete game-changer. They make a U-bass sound and (to some extent) play like a 'real' bass, if that's what you're after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not got a solid body Uke but have 3 baritones (Kala) and a bass (Excelsior), strings have been the biggest challenge especially for the bass which I've settled for the Thunderblacks, still room for improvement if aquila/worth et.al are reading this and baby talc is an essential part of playing Uke bass. If I was going for a solid body I'd probably speak to Solwayer http://www.solwayerguitars.co.uk/jazzukebass.html

I find the Pahoehoe strings do suit the solid body UBass but they are a bit one dimensional and stretch and stretch and stretch for ages and then once stable still stretch a bit; I did try the Pyramid steels on my 5 string but it couldn't take it as the US made model doesn't (certainly didn't) have a truss rod and the neck wanted to bend under the tension. The Kala SUB Ubasses do have truss rod (my 4 string does) so steel strings might work well on those, I just haven't tried them as the Pyramid strings had so much tension they marked the bridge which is only fairly low grade Rosewood and for what I do I actually find the standard strings fine. On my Tanglewood acoustic Ukebass I prefer the ThunderRed strings as thinner and better feel and tuning stability to the white ones, especially the Chinese supplied ones which may not be genuine Aquila.

Magnus is a great UBassist so hopefully he will post up this thread as he is on this forum @basmagnus