Jump to content
stingrayPete1977

NYE gigs with pictures.

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

Effects pedals. Big muff, HPF, octaver and auto wah generally 

OK, I wondered if you were doing the stomp thing. I have all my effects in line before the amp, but I did think of doing the 4 wire thing with the HX Effects, as that way I could use the overdrive of the first preamp valve as an effect, which might sound good. Trouble is I would need to replicate the patch as I don't use my CTM often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pete.young said:

Stew,, is the effects loop series or parallel?

I can only assume series. Put it this way it sounds exactly the same going from fx to input as it does using the loop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

OK, I wondered if you were doing the stomp thing. I have all my effects in line before the amp, but I did think of doing the 4 wire thing with the HX Effects, as that way I could use the overdrive of the first preamp valve as an effect, which might sound good. Trouble is I would need to replicate the patch as I don't use my CTM often. 

This is an interesting idea... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I can only assume series. Put it this way it sounds exactly the same going from fx to input as it does using the loop

When the effects are in the loop, if you unplug a cable in the middle of the effects chain, does the noise stop or does it carry on?

Edited by pete.young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stewblack said:

I can only assume series. Put it this way it sounds exactly the same going from fx to input as it does using the loop

Oh yes, that bit. it does, the input goes into one side of a ECC832 valve and the output of that goes to the send. Under normal circumstances, the send output is shorted to the return input which then goes to the gain control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pete.young said:

If you unplug a cable in the middle of the effects chain, does the noise stop or does it carry on?

It will stop - there is a break when send is plugged in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It will stop - there is a break when send is plugged in.

It'll stop if it's a series loop. If it's a parallel loop, there's a blend of loop and pre-amp signal gets sent to the power section, so the dry signal will still be heard.

If it is a parallel loop, you probably don't want to put a HPF in the loop, which is where I was going with this. You want certain effects to affect the whole of your signal, not 50% of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pete.young said:

It'll stop if it's a series loop. If it's a parallel loop, there's a blend of loop and pre-amp signal gets sent to the power section, so the dry signal will still be heard.

If it is a parallel loop, you probably don't want to put a HPF in the loop, which is where I was going with this. You want certain effects to affect the whole of your signal, not 50% of it.

I assumed if it was parallel I'd hear a clean signal too. Very good point about the HPF. Same for compression I assume. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, stewblack said:

This is an interesting idea... 

I was looking at the input and I am not sure if it will work now. My original assumption was that the input stage was being overloaded so you could switch between putting loads of signal in the input, and reducing in the send return loop, or less signal in the input and more in the send return,. but looking at it, it doesn't look like you could overload the input. I know if I put a bass in the lo input and turn the gain past 1/3 it will start to saturate, whereas in high it pretty well doesn't until you get to flat out, but now I see the gain control is after send / return, so its the second valve that is used for saturating. 

I suppose the idea could still hold with a greatly reduced input and flat out gain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I was looking at the input and I am not sure if it will work now. My original assumption was that the input stage was being overloaded so you could switch between putting loads of signal in the input, and reducing in the send return loop, or less signal in the input and more in the send return,. but looking at it, it doesn't look like you could overload the input. I know if I put a bass in the lo input and turn the gain past 1/3 it will start to saturate, whereas in high it pretty well doesn't until you get to flat out, but now I see the gain control is after send / return, so its the second valve that is used for saturating. 

I suppose the idea could still hold with a greatly reduced input and flat out gain. 

I ran my gain almost flat out last night. Best sound I've ever had from the CTM, bass I used isn't that loud effects level not too high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Weymouth quay at midnight.  Buzzing crowd and very few fights (for Weymouth). 

Weymouth NYE.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I depped with SE England corporate/function stalwarts the Co-Stars at Eastbourne's stunning 5* Grand Hotel. Great fun evening & I was required to wear a tux & panama! 😉

 

20191231_155127.jpg

20191231_221943(1).jpg

FB_IMG_1577821503990.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cetera - could they get a deeper stage?! That one gives the one I had to perform on a run for it's money! (I say stage, piece of carpet between the wall and the most important startlit dancefloor... (why do people not realise when putting up said floors you have to leave space for the band... and plugs))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

@cetera - could they get a deeper stage?! That one gives the one I had to perform on a run for it's money! (I say stage, piece of carpet between the wall and the most important startlit dancefloor... (why do people not realise when putting up said floors you have to leave space for the band... and plugs))

 

It was indeed a bit slim! lol!
Apparently it's getting smaller every year.... along with the 'budget'.... !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, it appears someone took a short video but no photos  :)    

What The Funk  ( us ) at NYE Buckingham

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks  pal.  You can see i appear to be missing, but you can just catch a glimpse of my Aria Pro SB900 for about  3 seconds,  behind the gitwrist. Thats cos i recently came out of hospital after hip surgery and i was still on crutches, so had to sit on a stool.

Ah... what us bass twangers will do for a gig 😎

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was gonna say...sitting down on the job....bad form old fruit.

 

Excuse accepted in this instance 😋

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

This thread needs more pics!

I realised after starting the thread that I might not have any pictures as I would be too busy playing, whoops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I realised after starting the thread that I might not have any pictures as I would be too busy playing, whoops.

That’s always the trouble isn’t it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2020 at 20:19, Mudpup said:

Local pub about 20 mins away that we do about 3 or 4 times a year. Great landlord, ticket only, lovely punters, food and bar tab for the band. We couldn't have asked for a better one apart from the singist struggling to get his voice back after the local virus had clobbered him a few days back.

Ooh and it was the first time out for my new 4 string G&L L2000 - i enjoyed playing it on the night and having had a listen to the video through headphones i'm really happy with my sound. 

Loads of positive feedback from everyone so we're all smiling rabbits today apart from the singer who has 2 days to get rid of his Barry White voice before the next one 🙂

 

Thats commitment hauling around a drum screen! Those things weight as much as the planet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Thats commitment hauling around a drum screen! Those things weight as much as the planet!

Good to hide behind when it gets rowdy though 😂

The bas**rd drummer has it in a flightcase too!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...