Why become a member? ×

Anyone else play unlined fretless?

lownote

On 12/01/2020 at 18:01, lownote12 said:

Is fretless good for soul then?  Real question, useful to know if so.

Fretless is good for everything! I went years with a Fretless being my only option.. Granted it looks "hair metal" (my particular bass, not all Fretlesses) but it sounds however you want it to sound. You don't have to slide in to every note so it's not all mwaaaaaaaah all the time unless you want it. It's a great tool to have though, I couldn't manage without one now. 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

On 12/01/2020 at 17:19, Stub Mandrel said:

I've tried lined and it makes you obsess about being in the right spot, without lines you relax (which improves things) and rely on your ears to tell you if you are out (which improves things even more)

I'm not so sure about that. My Fretless is lined but I barely look at the neck while playing but I certainly hear when I'm off, muscle memory goes a long way too. 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Obviously not an issue if you do that, but more of an issue for new players, perhaps?

Not sure... Depends how confident someone is at having a go without the lines I guess. I knew a violin player who was awesome on unlined Fretless as you would expect but personally I would never have started on Fretless were it not a lined. I'd only been playing bass for just under three years when I got my Fretless and had no other musical background, I just liked Ten by Pearl Jam 😊

I only got into unlined because I bought one  by mistake, thinking it lined . I had no choice but to try it and found with just a little practice it was easy, at least down the bottom end. 

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Right, you lot have made me very curious, I play a lined fretless with dot markers in the usual positions, I’m very interested to try an unlined fretless, anyone nearby (or not so nearby) who has one I can try out? 

I don't suppose you are headed to the Midlands Bass Bash?