Why become a member? ×

Anyone else play unlined fretless?

lownote

NOOOOOOO! I thought it was. Unwound strings just don't "tap", (and because of the tension & properties of tapping there's a lot in the set, even the bass 5ths side) and there's really no room to pick or strum on a Stick.  BAD IDEA

Oh, and BTW, lots of pretty basses posted. I think un-lined basses are just SEXY

Edited by StickyDBRmf
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, threedaymonk said:

I don't have any unlined basses, but my shamisen (the thing I'm playing in my profile photo) has no markings at all, except for a couple of dots I've put at the equivalent of the 5th and 12th fret positions.

Since I've been playing without fret markers, I've found that my ability to find my way around the neck on fretted instruments has really improved: I have a better innate understanding of intervals now.

I was going to put a dot at 12, but 12 and 5 sounds like a really good idea.

I was just going to put a dot of nail polish, so I could scratch it off if I decide later. 

18 minutes ago, ead said:

I personally am glad the OP makes no reference to playing unlined fretless basses well, just if we are playing them :ph34r:

I play unlined much better than I play fretted.  Which of course could mean...

I certainly enjoy it more, more inclined to pick bass up and noodle.   

• Like 3

On 01/01/2020 at 15:10, StickyDBRmf said:

I don't like lines. They throw me off. Just give me side dots. History of basses - Jazz bass, Precision w/ maple frettless, removed the epoxy/resin...wore the neck out, replaced w/ Mighty Mite ebony no finish, Pedulla Pentabuzz was requested w/ no "Buzz" finish, no lines...Ibanez 8-string that I .tore the frets out with a claw hammer...I wound up selling or giving away these except for the 8-string. I have two Chapman Sticks, one is an Ironwood from mid-80's w/ nickel frets that, after missing the Pedulla so much, had my local luthier remove the frets. WHOOPS. It'sa good thing I have two Sticks because a fretless Stick is a BAD IDEA. I'm having a luthier put frets back in. (I'm not sending it to Emmett, they're like his babies, I'm just glad he still sells me strings). And I bought a Hartke bass for $30US w/ a bad p.u. but the neck is so straight I pulled the frets out (the right way this time) didn't fill in the gaps just oiled the stinky poo out of it. Right now just the J-bass p.u. works so it's all Jaco all the time. I do have one fretted bass it's an ESP Ltd. neck-thru w/ active p.up.'s it sounds like any bass I would want. Like I said in other posts when I play these days I play Stick.

Had a 10-string Stick in '80s. Gave myself 9 months on it, got nowhere and flogged it.

Unlined fretless has been my main squeeze since 1977, when I bought a brand new Travis Bean fretless. That was actually the only bass I owned for a twenty year stint. In 2003 I finally got another one, this sapele bodied Crescent Moon custom build by the late Craig Mueller:

CMB_2015.JPG

I sold the Bean a couple of years ago, and then last year my good friend Marco Cortes at Marco Bass Guitars made this one for me out of pre-built bits he had kicking around the shop, save the custom neo sidewinder pickups he wound for me:

MV4FL_HC74.thumb.png.e42637de1f8c1c36d826e31000364609.png

For the last few years I'd been using EB Cobalt Flats on the Crescent Moon, but I'm currently trying a set of DR Sunbeam roundwounds on it. That works better for my slide bass schtick, but time will tell if the switch will be permanent. I started off with GHS Pressurewounds on the Marco Bass, but just recently put on a set of SIT Silencers, which are a little brighter and seem to suit me better. I do my own onboard preamps for all my bass guitars (my designs, my builds), and am a firmly active-only kind of a guy.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I play lined fretless with dots between the lines but that’s simply because that’s the way the Rob Allen Mouse I was lucky enough to buy off here was designed. Having said that I’d love to try an unlined.

It seems that they can be had fairly cheaply these days:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_450fl_bk_progressive_series.htm

Speaking of which, the first thing I look at when I see one for sale is a picture of what the side markers are like, but there seem to be many ads where these are never shown.

12 hours ago, knirirr said:

It seems that they can be had fairly cheaply these days:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_450fl_bk_progressive_series.htm

Speaking of which, the first thing I look at when I see one for sale is a picture of what the side markers are like, but there seem to be many ads where these are never shown.

I know, my experience too.

FYI, the London Bass Gallery will reposition any side markers that are 'adrift' for a fee. I expect most luthiers will, just I know the BG job to be pretty decent.  They moved the 12 fret marker on my Revelation P bass.  Curiously all the markers were accurately on the fret position except the 12th which was a centimeter out.

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2019 at 21:24, MattM said:

Fortunate enough to have had both lined and unlined Stingrays in my time, and much prefer unlined as I tended to overthink/over rely on watching my playing with lined rather than just intonating from muscle memory.

Spookily enough sold my last 2EQ Pino-inspired one to the previous poster, Mr Old Horse of this parish many moons ago...

10809342-C11-E-4-F26-8497-28-C27-D3-DF35

Ah I remember it well. Unfortunately it met a very unceremonious end when my car was involved in an accident. 

It now wanders the streets of Bristol at midnight looking for its head...

• Like 1

I played an unlined fretless through most of my teenage years in the 90s, a Hohner Jazz copy. I prefer them, though currently my only fretless electric is lined as it's been defretted. Between that early experience and playing double bass, the lack of lines doesn't bother me, plus it looks nicer and usually wears more evenly.

• Like 1

I bought a fretless relatively early on, unlined, and found it surprisingly easy to play, I think being a finger-per-fret player makes it easier, as once you've found a position you aren't moving you hand up and down.

On 31/12/2019 at 14:01, BlueMoon said:

I have both, but use my ears more than the lines/side markers.

I've tried lined and it makes you obsess about being in the right spot, without lines you relax (which improves things) and rely on your ears to tell you if you are out (which improves things even more). The other day I tried playing scales along each string, eyes closed. I made any tweaks necessary as I went but was pleasantly relieved to find myself finishing in tune with the first harmonic.

On 31/12/2019 at 14:06, philw said:

When I look it's at the side dots (don't get me started on dots positioned between the "frets"! What utter madness is that?).

I like side dots as if you make a big movement, you do need some landmark to make sure you start off close to in tune! In between ones are a nightmare.

After a practice with the new soul outfit last week I got a text to say "Fretless bass was an inspiration. Thank you" which helps make it worthwhile 🙂

40 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I bought a fretless relatively early on, unlined, and found it surprisingly easy to play, I think being a finger-per-fret player makes it easier, as once you've found a position you aren't moving you hand up and down.

I've tried lined and it makes you obsess about being in the right spot, without lines you relax (which improves things) and rely on your ears to tell you if you are out (which improves things even more). The other day I tried playing scales along each string, eyes closed. I made any tweaks necessary as I went but was pleasantly relieved to find myself finishing in tune with the first harmonic.

I like side dots as if you make a big movement, you do need some landmark to make sure you start off close to in tune! In between ones are a nightmare.

After a practice with the new soul outfit last week I got a text to say "Fretless bass was an inspiration. Thank you" which helps make it worthwhile 🙂

Is fretless good for soul then?  Real question, useful to know if so.

1 hour ago, lownote12 said:

Don't know but our definition of soul seems to be pretty wide and several of the songs originally had stand up bass or fretless and things like Sitting on the Dock of the Bay seem to work well on one. We'll see, first gig in a month.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Don't know but our definition of soul seems to be pretty wide and several of the songs originally had stand up bass or fretless and things like Sitting on the Dock of the Bay seem to work well on one. We'll see, first gig in a month.

Even James Jamerson used a fretless Precision on at least one recorded track - as they recorded so much and on an industrial scale you can bet he used it on more than one even if some didn't see the light of day!! 

PS best of luck with it - I like playing fretless on this stuff and it does sound good - people like Pino were largely playing Fretless on R and B - also Jaco. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2020 at 18:01, lownote12 said:

Very excellent, yes. You get the slight damping of finger direct to board, also works very well with a pick (something I think is maybe overlooked) - get really close to the classic Carol Kaye sound. (For me that's a  Jazz fretless with EB flats on, back p'up full, tone mostly off).
A thing about fretless I think is just because you can slide around doesn't mean you have to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2020 at 21:31, drTStingray said:

Even James Jamerson used a fretless Precision on at least one recorded track - as they recorded so much and on an industrial scale you can bet he used it on more than one even if some didn't see the light of day!! 

PS best of luck with it - I like playing fretless on this stuff and it does sound good - people like Pino were largely playing Fretless on R and B - also Jaco. 

The James Jamerson fretless case just ended up after this recording. He explained that it was so awfully sounding that he nearly smashed it after this one and only attempt on fretless.

As a double bass player, James Jamerson was told that he would get a close to that double bass sound with the Fender Precision Bass Fretless he was given the opportunity to use by Fender.

He was more than disappointed and went back to The Funk Machine.