Why become a member? ×

Joined nearly 10 years ago.....about time I said hello!!

Orange_Ben

Hi Basschatters,

Realised that I joined nearly a whole decade ago and thought I should probably introduce myself!!  What a decade its been!!  My names Ben and I love playing bass!

At the start of the decade I was playing an Epiphone Thunderbird IV through a Laney RB9 head into an old HH 15" cab.  Played some cool gigs with that setup in my old band including the first time I played at Guilfest.  

Around 2012-13 I went to andertons and tested out the Ampeg PF350 and the Orange Terror Bass.  They both sounded awesome but the Orange was something else!  At the time I couldn't really justify the extra money so I walked out with the ampeg (up until that point I had always wanted an Ampeg) but kind of regretted it from day one.  The Orange was a monster!  Blind brand loyalty can be a nightmare!

I became a Dad in 2014 and the band split up not long after.  All of a sudden I couldn't just do what I wanted when I wanted.  Didn't really know how to deal with that!  Then my best mate died.  Sold my Thunderbird, sold my Ampeg, totally gave up on music and basically got myself in a bit of a pickle(did keep the old HH cab tho!)

After a year or so of being a bit of a plonker I spotted a Goth Thunderbird for sale, I bought it and started playing around a bit.  That bass came at just the right time and really helped to sort me out.  I stopped being a Richard and embraced being a Dad!

End of 2017 comes round and Id been thinking of trying to start a band when I got a call from a guy I used to play guitar with.  I hadn't spoken to him for about 12 years!  He asked if I wanted to play bass for his band Señor Fire and I jumped at the chance!    

Remembering my trip to andertons a few years previous I found an Orange Terror Bass for sale in Bristol and when I got there he also had 2 Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 10 Lites.  I grabbed the lot!!! Thanks very much!!

Played my first gig with Señor Fire in 2018, had another kid and haven't looked back since.  I came across an Orange SP410 cab at the beginning of the year for a bargain although I still can't decide if I prefer the sound of it over the Jacks.  Does look cool tho!!  I modified it by moving the skids to the side to make it a vertical cab and obviously had to rotate the logo!  Shortly after that I bought the Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro with some money my dear Nan left me.  We came second in a battle of the bands comp and recently won an award in Alton for best Alt/Grunge act of the year!

I can't wait to see what the next decade brings............

Happy New Year fellow bass players

Ben

P.S If you click on the photo below you can have a listen to my band Señor Fire!

EBFD4CE0-8E58-47F7-A44A-057BFE9B4E98.thumb.jpg.a76cdb5a7c29405bd292e1e715c5c835.jpg

Edited by Jarmin
  • Like 3