Why become a member? ×

Jool's Hootenanny constructive criticism thread

spectoremg

18 minutes ago, ambient said:

It’s the same thing every year. It’s not the type of show to feature new music, people generally on NYE want to hear stuff they know. The artists featured are advertised well in advance too. Most of the dissenting posters are criticising the format, the show itself, and Jools Holland. The whole point of this thread it to criticise the show. My point is, why watch it in the first place? You know who’s on, what it’s about, what it’ll be like.

The same can be said about criticising those who are criticising the show on a thread set up as a place to be critical.

If you don't want to read criticism, don't read the thread. But you have been, all day. It's no different. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

The same can be said about criticising those who are criticising the show on a thread set up as a place to be critical.

If you don't want to read criticism, don't read the thread. But you have been, all day. It's no different. 

Completely different. As others are pointing out too, why criticise it, why even watch it? You know beforehand what the programme will be like. It’s the same every year. The opening post sets the scene for the thread.

13 minutes ago, ambient said:

Completely different. As others are pointing out too, why criticise it, why even watch it? You know beforehand what the programme will be like. It’s the same every year. The opening post sets the scene for the thread.

Its not different at all. What do expect the content of a thread entitled "Jool's Hootenanny constructive criticism thread"? Surely you know beforehand it's going to be people being critical, so why bother to read it or comment on it? 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ambient said:

It’s the same thing every year. It’s not the type of show to feature new music, people generally on NYE want to hear stuff they know. The artists featured are advertised well in advance too. Most of the dissenting posters are criticising the format, the show itself, and Jools Holland. The whole point of this thread it to criticise the show. My point is, why watch it in the first place? You know who’s on, what it’s about, what it’ll be like.

Well other than Rick and The Stereophonics I'm wasnt aware of any of the other acts. Ok, I knew who Stormzy was but have no idea what he sings. So far me it was new music. I still cant name anyone else on that show even after watching it. 

Yes its a crap show, with a crap host, but personally i can get past that if the music is good. So i always watch Jools, even though i think its a crap show.  Ive discovered a few new to me bands from the show, but on the whole ive seen a pile of crap that unfortunately i cant remember their names, so bound to watch them again and moan about them again. 

• Like 1

It was nice to see two members of The Selecter performing. If I hadn't have watched it, I wouldn't have known they were on!

Mind, I could have recorded it (which I did), or watched it with the sound off...

About recording it - what a waste of electric that was, because as soon as it finished, I'd already seen it!!

Bloody BBC...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ambient said:

Depends what you mean by performing. The bassist is Dave Swift. Look him up, he’s played with pretty much everyone. He’s played with Jools Holland’s band for decades. Touring all over the UK and Europe in the process. He doesn’t jump about, or entertain; that’s not his job.

If you don’t like something, then don’t watch it or listen to it. Nowadays you can watch practically anything you want, when you want, so put on something you enjoy, because for every dissenting voice on here, there’s probably hundreds if not thousands across the country who did enjoy it.

Oops, Opinion Police. 

Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) Mooooon river ... (ker-fut) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, ambient said:

What are you all doing in on NYE anyway?

Shouldn’t you all be out playing?

First time not playing in years, owing to temporary bandlessness. Went to the pub with my wife instead, drank loads and had a good laugh. Came home, drank more and watched Grease. Seems like I had a better night that those of you that bravely endured the Hootenanny 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

It was nice to see two members of The Selecter performing. If I hadn't have watched it, I wouldn't have known they were on!

I'd forgotten about them, they were very good and Jools couldn't play any boogie woogie as accompaniment. There we go, an oasis amongst the mire.

• Like 1

It seems like the usual "I hate everything about the Hootenanny" thread that we have every year. Obviously putting the term "Constructive" in the title was just a sleight of hand. Anyhow, its a TV prog with music in it so it always gets my vote, even if some of the music is not to my taste.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mikel said:

It seems like the usual "I hate everything about the Hootenanny" thread that we have every year. Obviously putting the term "Constructive" in the title was just a sleight of hand. Anyhow, its a TV prog with music in it so it always gets my vote, even if some of the music is not to my taste.

You can't polish a turd. 

• Like 1