Why become a member? ×

Jool's Hootenanny constructive criticism thread

spectoremg

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Not big on NYE, we were quite happily watching Tomorrowland, when with about 45 minutes remaining, my good lady requested we park things and watch the build up to the fireworks on the Beeb.

I watched about a minute of Jools; three women in brightly coloured trouser suits caterwauling while the audience whooped it up.  Speechless.  Even my wife said, 'Jesus,' a couple if times.  Mel C on Graham Norton, awful song, awful everything else.  Craig Forking David.  For fork sake.  Went up to bed about 11.45pm.

Even the midnight fireworks at the Eye, failed to lift things; is it just me or is the whole thing looking more and more tired every year?  Given that London is striving for clean city, emission free status, the exploding of three tonnes of pyro into the atmosphere in just ten minutes, kind of goes against clean air, doesn't it?

Oh, well.  It's couch potato day for me.  Chelsea on TV in about 90 minutes.  The Magnificent Seven on BBC2.  Miranda and Doctor Who tonight (this had better be good).

Time for brekkie.

You're right, it's same old....

Perhaps TV couldn't afford better musicians. I bet there is a band member here on Basschat that performs better live than any of on JH 

23 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Perhaps TV couldn't afford better musicians. I bet there is a band member here on Basschat that performs better live than any of on JH 

Blah blah blah. Moan whinge moan. Its not like it was in my day. What a load of whining old fa*ts. Watch Corrie or East Enders instead for some light relief.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Depends what you mean by performing. The bassist is Dave Swift. Look him up, he’s played with pretty much everyone. He’s played with Jools Holland’s band for decades. Touring all over the UK and Europe in the process. He doesn’t jump about, or entertain; that’s not his job.

If you don’t like something, then don’t watch it or listen to it. Nowadays you can watch practically anything you want, when you want, so put on something you enjoy, because for every dissenting voice on here, there’s probably hundreds if not thousands across the country who did enjoy it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SH73 said:

1 minute ago, ambient said:

If you don’t like something, then don’t watch it or listen to it. Nowadays you can watch practically anything you want, when you want, so put on something you enjoy, because for every dissenting voice on here, there’s probably hundreds if not thousands across the country who did enjoy it.

I don't think better musicians really come into it, the whole thing from a televisual experience is just tired, forced and predictable.  It needs a thorough overhaul.

I was perfectly happy with the film to be honest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

What are you all doing in on NYE anyway?

Shouldn’t you all be out playing?

If only. Members of my bands are always off playing with function bands they’re also members of, which are booked months in advance (mostly repeat bookings), that leaves me at home moaning about the musical entertainment on TV. 
For light relief, I watch Hotel Mumbai last night 😱. Dev Patel is talented actor and no mistake. A well made film about something totally awful.

Me and the singer live bang in the middle of central London, right by Blackfriars  bridge which gets locked down because of the fireworks, and it’s very, very difficult getting a car back to ours on NYE before 3am. We decided we won’t do any NYE gigs anymore. 
We ended up watching the fireworks from the kitchen window and then watching Zombieland 2. Couldn’t take any more ‘musical’ nonsense from the TV. 

Edited by dave_bass5

The whole affair is a bit pointless considering it's recorded in early December so no wonder there's no party vibe going on. Just been skimming through the show on iPlayer and I notice the woman in the blue outfit in that not-too-good trio is rockin the Dave Hill of Slade fringe.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ambient said:

Depends what you mean by performing. The bassist is Dave Swift. Look him up, he’s played with pretty much everyone. He’s played with Jools Holland’s band for decades. Touring all over the UK and Europe in the process. He doesn’t jump about, or entertain; that’s not his job.

I get your point, but I still pay TV licence?

53 minutes ago, mikel said:

Blah blah blah. Moan whinge moan. Its not like it was in my day. What a load of whining old fa*ts. Watch Corrie or East Enders instead for some light relief.

Corrie and East Enders? Are you familiar with these? I am not.

39 minutes ago, ambient said:

What are you all doing in on NYE anyway?

Shouldn’t you all be out playing?

First year for ages I have been in. Singer wanted to spend time / singers wife wanted him to spend time with his kids on NYE this year, so no gig.
i saw bits of jools, but found that mostly it was better by not watching it but luckily my remote seemed to work, unlike many here!

30 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I get your point, but I still pay TV licence?

So do millions of others. Whilst I don’t necessarily agree with the way the BBC is funded, it doesn’t exist to cater its New Years Eve programmes towards a pretty small demographic; ie twenty or so members on here. I was seeing people on Facebook saying they enjoyed it, lots of people liked Stormzy’s set for instance. Others just liked it because it was happy, and nice to watch on NYE.

• Like 1

I watched some of it, channel hopping really. Didn’t see much that held my attention, the bit of The Stereophonics that I caught i didn’t know the song but thought they played well, and had great guitar sounds. Their drummer certainly looked like he was having a good time. 

2 hours ago, SH73 said:

Corrie and East Enders? Are you familiar with these? I am not.

I am sadly familiar with the trails the TV companies constantly run for them. As for watching them? Never, the dispiriting and often violent adds are more than enough.

5 hours ago, mikel said:

The three women with the guitar were the highlight of the night for me. Great harmonies and they sang like they actually meant it. No going through the motions, I like a bit of naked enthusiasm. 

Great harmonies = The Eagles.

Sadly these three were way off IMHO.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I did an interesting thing this year, I used the TV remote and switched channels each time I wasn’t enjoying a programme. 
Its changed my life and those around me. 🥳

What, you mean you haven’t sat and watched something you didn’t like, then moaned about it online? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ambient said:

What, you mean you haven’t sat and watched something you didn’t like, then moaned about it online? 😁

So tell me, how can you know you dont like a set of acts you may never have heard of before, on a show that is going out live (ok, i know its not, but its  the same thing) unless you see them?

I get the whole 'don't liek it, don't watch it' thing, but unless you travel in time you have to watch it to like or not like it.

With a show like this you cant predict you wont like it unless you know all the artists. I'm sure most of us tune in to hear new music, and many come away disappointed. 

It's not like a repeat or a soap opera where you know you don’t like it so don’t watch it. I put it on to be entertained. I liked the Stereophonics, then it went down hill from there. Had I known what all the acts were about I'd have turned it off right there, but i didn't know what to expect. I wanted to see more of the Stereophonics, so had to keep it on anyway. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

So tell me, how can you know you dont like a set of acts you may never have heard of before, on a show that is going out live (ok, i know its not, but its  the same thing) unless you see them?

I get the whole 'don't liek it, don't watch it' thing, but unless you travel in time you have to watch it to like or not like it.

With a show like this you cant predict you wont like it unless you know all the artists. I'm sure most of us tune in to hear new music, and many come away disappointed. 

It's not like a repeat or a soap opera where you know you don’t like it so don’t watch it. I put it on to be entertained. I liked the Stereophonics, then it went down hill from there. Had I known what all the acts were about I'd have turned it off right there, but i didn't know what to expect. I wanted to see more of the Stereophonics, so had to keep it on anyway. 

It’s the same thing every year. It’s not the type of show to feature new music, people generally on NYE want to hear stuff they know. The artists featured are advertised well in advance too. Most of the dissenting posters are criticising the format, the show itself, and Jools Holland. The whole point of this thread it to criticise the show. My point is, why watch it in the first place? You know who’s on, what it’s about, what it’ll be like.