Why become a member? ×

Jool's Hootenanny constructive criticism thread

spectoremg

4 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Likewise today, if someone's appearance is particularly androgynous and that individual makes no effort to present visual clues to their gender (or conversely, makes a concerted effort to ensure their gender is indistinct), I don't think it's fair to accuse people of being prejudicial and lacking development (especially those over 50s again). 

Indeed, one might argue that in some instances the seeming collision between presentation and expectations are transactional in nature.

Let us imagine a faraway planet where androgyny is the norm. Mr David Bowie, struggling to launch his career, might have adopted a basso-profundo singing style, glued on a chest-wig and drawn further attention to himself by wrestling a tiger onstage while smoking a briar pipe stuffed with Capstan Navy Cut shag tobacco.

Older inhabitants of Planet Androgyne might have pointed a scornful finger and said "Look at that! You can tell whether it's a boy or a girl!". The planet's youth might have risen in reaction against this simply appalling prejudice and in consequence purchased Mr Bowie's records by the barrow-load. Sales of Norfolk jackets and riggers' gloves might have gone through the roof until - horror -  Mr Bowie might have ditched his 'genderised' look at the peak of its popularity and gone back to wearing shorty kimonos and mascara.

All of which is to say that there's money to be made in looking different and provoking a response, though not so different as The Elephant Man, obvs.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/01/2020 at 07:49, NikNik said:

They should rename themselves 'Shyte', for that's what they were. Caterwauling was an apt description.

Just had a listen to it. Rather good, it was, perhaps a bit dodgy around the chorus where the harmonies didn't quite seem to work. I'm surprised that none of the pitch-perfect BC members noticed the out of tune guitar though. They'd have sounded a bit better with an acoustic guitar or at least an acoustic emulator, Billy Bragg can get away with it but it didn't suit their vocal style so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

Just had a listen to it. Rather good, it was, perhaps a bit dodgy around the chorus where the harmonies didn't quite seem to work. I'm surprised that none of the pitch-perfect BC members noticed the out of tune guitar though. They'd have sounded a bit better with an acoustic guitar or at least an acoustic emulator, Billy Bragg can get away with it but it didn't suit their vocal style so much.

The guitar  sound was pants but to be fair it seems they can do a lot better judging by some of their stuff on YT. Not my bag at all but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were having a bit of an off night.