Why become a member? ×

Jool's Hootenanny constructive criticism thread

spectoremg

10 hours ago, steantval said:

They are called Joseph, based in the USA, I would assume they were on tour over here at the time of recording the show.

They should rename themselves 'Shyte', for that's what they were. Caterwauling was an apt description.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

My thanks to Mr @NancyJohnson and Mr @steantval for bringing illumination to a perplexing conversation I had this morning with my barber Colin,  the proprietor of Hair We Go in North St, Wilton.

As I reclined in the chair with a hot towel wrapped around my face Colin asked me if I'd seen "those three women on the telly on New Years?" Without waiting for an answer Colin continued:

"Common as muck, they were, all dressed up in cheap mens' suits that fitted where they touched. So unflattering. I mean, you could see the size of their thighs. I know it's Christmas, luv, but who needs three pairs of nutcrackers? 

"And the colours? I nearly died! Salmon pink, mustard yellow and a sort of dull Prussian blue? I said to Audrey, Audrey luv,  who's their stylist? Helen Keller? Audrey couldn't hear me, she had her fingers in his ears. The noise they were making I thought the boiler pump bearing had gone again. Right now, ready for your shave, Mr D?"

I had no idea at the time what Colin was talking about but I've watched the vid and now I do.

I have it on good authority that these suits were from Next.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I tend not to agree and get the feeling that some people will slag things off if they do not contain their personal favourite hits, as it were.

Fair enough. I've read most of the posts on the thread and haven't really got that impression.

You have overlooked that I clearly said my objection was to the general negativity of the thread

To be completely honest, there's not much I can say about it. Some people viewed the show negatively, others positively. Ultimately, this thread has been set up for people to air their (my reading as) critical (your reading as negative) views of the show. 

I can't help but think, given the title of the thread and all, what did you expect. 

I don't generally have a problem with anything you've said so there was no need to respond specifically

This is where we're talking at cross purposes, I'm trying to respond to and answer specific points, you're speaking more generally.

Given the restrictions of the written word in this particular format (Internet forums), I've found that it's tricky enough to interpret exactly what people are saying even when interacting directly and addressing specific points and comments. Trying to infur meaning and tone from what someone thinks about what others have said, then trying to argue those points, is almost impossible and just leads to confusion and unnecessary disagreement. Life's too short 😁

Jazz Bass was audible on my TV

That settles it. I need a sound bar for my telly! 

Edited by DoubleOhStephan

32 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

That settles it. I need a sound bar for my telly! 

Definitely,never hear bass on modern TV speakers, they want you to spend extra on sound bars, I listen through headphones, never a problem with the sound

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NikNik said:

No, it's Tom Sawyer......

No, it's Tom Baker.

8 hours ago, Maude said:

Yes it is

20200104_065829.thumb.jpg.8408fd9ca297740699ba77d3d6d60ed1.jpg

Ah, Jon Pertwee. His son looks just like him, y'know.

5 hours ago, steantval said:

I’m still not sure if the vocalist is a bloke or a woman.

© Everybody's Dad 1966-1978

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

© Everybody's Dad 1966-1978

I agree with this with the exception of the timeframe. I still recall going into work the day after Culture Club's first appearance on TOTP (about 1981), and the talk of the over 50 yr old males was what sex George was, along with a load of expletives about the BBC putting rubbish on the tele.

Interesting to see, as @skankdelvar has so clearly observed, that such attitudes (amongst certain demographic groups) haven't changed in at least 55 years, if not longer. I wonder what Darwin would think!!! 

Edited by drTStingray

29 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I wonder what Darwin would think!!! 

These days, one's gender identity is no longer defined by how you look or what your biological sex is.

Assuming someone's gender identity is deeply frowned upon in certain circles. And if you dare suggest on social media that gender is linked to biological sex and cannot be changed, you can lose your job and have that decision upheld in court. 

I'm willing to bet Darwin didn't see this coming.

That all may be but I was merely commenting on the lack of development of attitudes of certain demographics over a period of many years to gender confusion  (possibly extending to sexual preferences). In other words, some people demonstrate the same prejudices of previous generations, which I find very surprising. 

Frankly to me in 1981 it didn't really matter because it was a good song - no doubt an interesting point of discussion for the old farts at the time, and used as another reason for them to conclude pop music (in 1981) was crap compared to the good old days (I seem to remember they were Rolling Stones and James Last fans).....

Edited by drTStingray

29 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

That all may be but I was merely commenting on the lack of development of attitudes of certain demographics over a period of many years to gender confusion  (possibly extending to sexual preferences). In other words, some people demonstrate the same prejudices of previous generations, which I find very surprising. 

Hmmm...

The thing about Boy George was he deliberately dressed, wore makeup, wore his hair and sang in a way which presented as very feminine. People (and it wasn't just old farts, everyone was scratching their heads when Culture Club appeared on TV) being confused about his gender was exactly how he wanted people to react. So, getting the  reaction he wanted doesn't make them prejudiced, it just proves his efforts at causing confusion worked. 

Likewise today, if someone's appearance is particularly androgynous and that individual makes no effort to present visual clues to their gender (or conversely, makes a concerted effort to ensure their gender is indistinct), I don't think it's fair to accuse people of being prejudicial and lacking development (especially those over 50s again). 

The point I was badly making about how things have changed now was that, with Boy George and other androgynous individuals, the confusion is completely understandable, in some cases even desired by the individual. However, with the increase in people just choosing their gender identity dependant on how they feel, the visual clues we all rely on (and that is an evolutionary trait) are completely invalidated.

I (a 6ft 2", 16st beardered ex-rugby player) can identify as a female (and gain entry to female spaces) without changing anything about my appearance. That throws everything we thought we knew about gender identity, biology and prejudice right out the window.