Why become a member? ×

Jool's Hootenanny constructive criticism thread

spectoremg

I still love Michaela Strachan. She popped into a pub I worked in by the BBC in Bristol about a decade ago.

She came in on an empty weekday afternoon and asked politely for a gin and tonic. I just said "a guh a huh" like a dumbstruck teenager. Damn my social awkwardness, she could have been my wife.

Edited by Shambo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shambo said:

I still love Michaela Strachan. She popped into a pub I worked in by the BBC in Bristol about a decade ago.

She came in on an empty weekday afternoon and asked politely for a gin and tonic. I just said "a guh a huh" like a dumbstruck teenager. Damn my social awkwardness, she could have been my wife.

I feel your pain, bro. She is and has always been, lovely 🤩

• Thanks 1

Shouldn't it be the Kelly Jones and jool's hootenanny? Think the guy has a resendency on his shows😄 ... I'm sure they dond need 2 8x10 cabs n god knows how many guitar cabs. All in all a dullish hootenanny for me

Always nice to see Dave swift though

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

Is it the alcohol or did I detect an actual bit of musical synergy between Rick Astley and that saxaphone player.

He's always had a great voice but I'm sure there's an Astley shaped hole in a crusie ship cabaret somewhere.

Edited by Shambo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Marvin said:

Well,she's just ruined a Worzels song 😢😢😢😢😢

Adge Cutler's wife used to be a regular in that same pub I blew my chance with Michaela in.

Absolutely lovely woman Yvonne. She came in one evening in great form and bought the whole pub a drink. That night she passed away peacefully in her sleep. I like to think she just kind of had an inkling and left us wanting more. I remember her very fondly. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

And what was up with that snare sound? Yep, another year, another moan about the mix on Later. When will they learn? It was the same awful mix on Graham Norton too, Mel C’s vocals were lower than the synth backing. 

I think Mel C’s mix was intentional.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Blimey Rick Astley hardly aged at all! Good on him. I didn't really like any of the artists on, quite a dull affair.

And he can still sing too. There's an ageing portrait of him somewhere, no doubt.

• Like 2

Stormzy.. never heard of him before, I don't get what the big fuss is about his music, dress code ,well he must be doing something right, or is it me getting old?

Three women singing, it was like skinning a cat. 

Only watched a bit of it because Craig David was (struggling) on another channel.

Not big on NYE, we were quite happily watching Tomorrowland, when with about 45 minutes remaining, my good lady requested we park things and watch the build up to the fireworks on the Beeb.

I watched about a minute of Jools; three women in brightly coloured trouser suits caterwauling while the audience whooped it up.  Speechless.  Even my wife said, 'Jesus,' a couple if times.  Mel C on Graham Norton, awful song, awful everything else.  Craig Forking David.  For fork sake.  Went up to bed about 11.45pm.

Even the midnight fireworks at the Eye, failed to lift things; is it just me or is the whole thing looking more and more tired every year?  Given that London is striving for clean city, emission free status, the exploding of three tonnes of pyro into the atmosphere in just ten minutes, kind of goes against clean air, doesn't it?

Oh, well.  It's couch potato day for me.  Chelsea on TV in about 90 minutes.  The Magnificent Seven on BBC2.  Miranda and Doctor Who tonight (this had better be good).

Time for brekkie.