Why become a member? ×

Jool's Hootenanny constructive criticism thread

spectoremg

_72015464_astewart.jpg

I like Jools' Hootenanny so much I'd happily pay double the license fee just to keep it on air. That said, it shouldn't all be about what I want and I think poor Mr Holland deserves a rest from all that running around so next time they should bring back the much-loved all round entertainer Mr Andy Stewart to compere a Scottish-themed Hogmanay show with musical contributions from Mr Jimmy Shand (and his band).

Sneering pedants might point out that Mr Andy Stewart went to God in 1993 but I see this as no insuperable obstacle. The BBC could just get some old footage of Andy and tap it into a computer and superimpose his face on a hologram or a picture of someone of approximately the same height and weight. 

An initiative of this nature means that Jools gets a year off and young people can discover the pleasure to be had from a toe-tapping Scotch reel, possibly The Dashing White Sergeant. That way, everyone's happy.

Edited by skankdelvar
possessive trouble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's just occurred to me that there's a way for us to enjoy the hootenanny (see get sloshed). Hootenanny bingo! Make a bingo card of the acts and/or anything else you expect to see and cross it off when it occurs, whilst taking a drink for every cross. Now that's entertainment! 🥴

Happy New Year, everyone. 🍾🎉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It's just occurred to me that there's a way for us to enjoy the hootenanny (see get sloshed). Hootenanny bingo! Make a bingo card of the acts and/or anything else you expect to see and cross it off when it occurs, whilst taking a drink for every cross. Now that's entertainment! 🥴

Happy New Year, everyone. 🍾🎉

The Power of Positive Thinking.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

_72015464_astewart.jpg

I like Jools' Hootenanny so much I'd happily pay double the license fee just to keep it on air. That said, it shouldn't all be about what I want and I think poor Mr Holland deserves a rest from all that running around so next time they should bring back the much-loved all round entertainer Mr Andy Stewart to compere a Scottish-themed Hogmanay show with musical contributions from Mr Jimmy Shand (and his band).

Sneering pedants might point out that Mr Andy Stewart went to God in 1993 but I see this as no insuperable obstacle. The BBC could just get some old footage of Andy and tap it into a computer and superimpose his face on a hologram or a picture someone of approximately the same height and weight. 

An initiative of this nature means that Jools gets a year off and young people can discover the pleasure to be had from a toe-tapping Scotch reel, possibly The Dashing White Sergeant. That way, everyone's happy.

NOOOoooo! I'm only just getting over a childhood when I was dragged by the child minder off to the Liceum to see Andy Live. Dashing White Sergeant is so White Heather Club and Moira Anderson. With Andy it has to be Donald whuar's yer troozers (even has a translated bit for the English and even a verse in 'Elvis' or the Muckin' o' Geordies Byre (The Cleansing of Georges Cow Shed for uncivilised southerners) Seriously worth a listen for a giggle, go on you know you want to.

Scared the crap out of a tourist when I burst into a verse of 'Troozers, my excuse was I was looking at a bottle of Talisker which is distilled on Skye.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

NOOOoooo!

I'm sure that both 'Troozers and White Sergeant could be accommodated within the programme. 

As for The Mucking Of Geordie's Byre: when I was a child my parents possessed a copy of the single (45rpm, IIRC) and it got an outing on most family occasions, nothwithstanding the fact that none of us were remotely Scottish.

Thank you @skankdelvar (not) for reminding me of the childhood horror of The White Heather Club on the tele on New Years Eve. We should surely be truly thankful for Jools and his wonderful orchestra (I've seen them live and they are fabulous) 👍😀

However you have reminded me of Jazz rockers/ funkers Back Door's version of The Dashing White Sergeant - here are Messrs Hodgkinson, Asprey and Hicks running through it. 

http://youtu.be/Hqypc6iA1jM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

I'm sure that both 'Troozers and White Sergeant could be accommodated within the programme. 

As for The Mucking Of Geordie's Byre: when I was a child my parents possessed a copy of the single (45rpm, IIRC) and it got an outing on most family occasions, nothwithstanding the fact that none of us were remotely Scottish.

I honestly haven’t the slightest idea what you’re talking about 😂.

48 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

_72015464_astewart.jpg

Sneering pedants might point out that Mr Andy Stewart went to God in 1993 but I see this as no insuperable obstacle. The BBC could just get some old footage of Andy and tap it into a computer and superimpose his face on a hologram or a picture of someone of approximately the same height and weight. 

A bit like this?

https://www.jibjab.com/view/make/party_new_year_clip/2a14d8d5-86c8-4c15-8f44-f753d1694c51

• Thanks 1

I used to love Andy Stewart on NYE when I was a kid!!! And shortbread and Mum and Dad drinking whiskey. And then my Mum would always go first footing to the next door neighbours, with salt, mince pies and a piece of coal. NYE doesn't seem so special any more. 

But that said, Happy New Year everyone and enjoy whatever you're doing (even if just staying in and watching Jools, like me) x

• Like 8

Stereophonics are ok, not my favourite band but listenable and entertaining. Kelly Jones had The Wind and the Wave support his solo tour this year, and I think The Wind and the Wave are great... so he's got decent taste in music. 

And there's nothing wrong with Rick Astley, if he can appear on stage with the Foos he's a rock legend (sort of). He's got a good voice and send a decent sorry if fellow.

I might watch the programme, depends on whether I drink much more wine and decide t to either go to bed or go out 😎

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Stereophonics are ok, not my favourite band but listenable and entertaining. Kelly Jones had The Wind and the Wave support his solo tour this year, and I think The Wind and the Wave are great... so he's got decent taste in music. 

And there's nothing wrong with Rick Astley, if he can appear on stage with the Foos he's a rock legend (sort of). He's got a good voice and send a decent sorry if fellow.

I might watch the programme, depends on whether I drink much more wine and decide t to either go to bed or go out 😎

Everyone's appeared on stage with the Foos.