Why become a member? ×

To sell or not to sell? (to fund new gear obvs)

Ben Jamin

This is completely a first world problem.

I have a nice little pedalboard, but I never use it!

I bought individual pieces back when I was doing originals/gigging some covers and needed a specific sound - but I haven't used any of them in at least a couple of years.

Some of them have already been sold off/given away but I'm holding onto the rest "in-case I ever need them" - but I really don't think I will! I'm finding I'm getting more mileage out of working with my playing technique to get the sounds I'm after than relying on pedals that drastically alter the tone - and are a hassle to lug around/setup/power/chase tones with.

ANYWAY

At the moment I'm gigging one bass (5-string USA G&L L2500) which covers a lot of ground and I'm super happy with it. But it'd be nice to pick up an affordable passive four-string that I can put flats on more variety. Maybe fretless too? With roundwounds on the G&L, a flatwound tone and fretless sound are the only big gaps in the tone palette I feel I'm lacking. And the gigs I'm doing could benefit from some of those sounds on a song or two. I'm also DI'ing straight nowadays with all my gigs and it's working great for me and sound engineers - not having a pedalboard is definitely a relief for the sound engineers too!

SO

Is it worth selling up the pedals and putting some cash towards a complimentary bass? Or should I hold on to pedals I specifically bought to get sounds I like, but just don't use at the moment?

Thanks for any help in this life-changing decision! 

P.S. I don't want to name the pedals in-case this starts sounding like a for-sales ad by proxy, but they basically are:

• A nice compressor with plenty of controls
  • A nice bass fuzz with plenty of controls
  • A nice filter/wah with WAY too many controls

So it's a nice setup to have in the cupboard for when/if the time comes to use them again.

Edited by Ben Jamin

At the end of the day it depends on your individual financial circumstances. 

If you can afford to buy new gear without selling the old stuff, then absolutely do it. There's so much gear I wish I'd never sold. But at the end of the day, needs must, and if you can make better use of something else by selling your current cast offs, then do that. 

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

At the end of the day it depends on your individual financial circumstances. 

If you can afford to buy new gear without selling the old stuff, then absolutely do it. There's so much gear I wish I'd never sold. But at the end of the day, needs must, and if you can make better use of something else by selling your current cast offs, then do that. 

That's the thing yep, I can't invest much in gear at the moment - maybe a little - but selling the pedals is the only real way of getting the capital. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth holding onto these things if I haven't used them in years and I think a second bass would be handy - or whether I've just got GAS and will regret selling stuff!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben Jamin said:

That's the thing yep, I can't invest much in gear at the moment - maybe a little - but selling the pedals is the only real way of getting the capital. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth holding onto these things if I haven't used them in years and I think a second bass would be handy - or whether I've just got GAS and will regret selling stuff!

Ah grasshopper. If you can find the answer to such an age old question, then you are truly wiser than all the other bass player on earth. 😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Ah grasshopper. If you can find the answer to such an age old question, then you are truly wiser than all the other bass player on earth. 😉

😂Yep! I don't think I can offer any more wisdom than the 3,769,657 posts already on this site before this one! Maybe I should just flip a coin?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Jamin said:

P.S. I don't want to name the pedals in-case this starts sounding like a for-sales ad by proxy, but they basically are:

• A nice compressor with plenty of controls
  • A nice bass fuzz with plenty of controls
  • A nice filter/wah with WAY too many controls

There's no shame here my friend...

You go ahead and plug those pedals to your heart's content!!!  :i-m_so_happy:

I shamelessly advertise my gear for sale at every opportunity I get... *Cough* Music Man Stingray and Fender Tony Franklin Fretless in the BC Marketplace for sale now!!  “Ahem!!" Excuse me... Bit of a tickle in the throat there... :$

In regards to parting with unused music gear (or unused anything for that matter) I'd say “Do it!".  If it's gathering dust and you really can't see yourself finding use for it in the near future then let it go and clear some space... Not just in your home but in your head... Less possessions = Less obsessions (that's a TTL3 original, right there!!) 

With the exception of something like Churchill's Jazz Flute or Einstein's Fender P Bass, I would imagine that most any popular music item would be “relatively" easy enough to acquire again should your life become meaningless in its wake...

Oh, and... SAY WHAATTT??!!!

1 hour ago, Ben Jamin said:

Some of them have already been sold off/given away

If you're “giving" away any bass pedals soon you come talk to Teddy first :D

I suggest keep your pedals and buy a quality set of flats for your L2500. Change strings to suit whatever buzz is floating your boat. Would only take 5 mins out of your day, just make sure you buy a set of flats that more or less matches your rounds tension so it's a straight swap with no farting about. 

No regrets, and you're welcome! 🍻