Why become a member? ×

NBD: Elrick Gold 5 Redwood

HazBeen

As some of you know I have been having back problems, and to ensure I keep the back “working as required” one of the things I needed to do is shed weight ..... i.e. go for lighter instruments.

After trading one of my Rays for an old Streamer (@3.7kg), I traded my Yamaha BBP35 (great bass btw, just too heavy for me to keep) plus a decent amount of dosh for an Elrick Gold 5 string.

Wow is all I can say, well under 4 kg but really resonant and a neck that is really comfortable.

Alfredo @siso0450 the seller has been such a pleasure to deal with as well, making the entire event a really positive experience. I truly hope he loves the Yammy as much as I do the Elrick.

Anyway, a few way too dark pics (one includes the Wick too) ..... but I am off to play this bad boy! 

1F07C175-6B01-45A6-B525-3748A8B173A9.jpeg

C6AFA72A-F9F1-4D0B-8FC0-CACD2E224AAB.jpeg

8D6B0D14-C984-42E4-B913-B4505EC1C0B7.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A month, several rehearsals and a gig in the Elrick continues to amaze me. I think I may have stumbled upon the bass that render all others obsolete. Let’s see how I feel after a few months, but so far I am very impressed by the tone and playability. Probably the fastest 5 neck I have ever played with best high register access of all 100%.

Damn! You've not got me checking out Elrick basses, a brand I'd not come across before - lol! 

What flavour do the Barts provide - are they quite clean / hifi? How do they compare to the Warwick MECs in the rather tasty SS1(?) you have next to it, whose growl I know I would love?

Barts are not overly coloured but defo have a more vintage vibe to them compared to MEC or EMG.

The Streamer is much less flexible, great growly tone but I would not use it on a singer songwriter dep for instance. The Elrick can pretty much do it all, from almost passive sounding old school funk to rock. That plus the playability impresses me most.

You know I was raving to yoy about the Lulls I used to own, for me the Elrick is on par at least. 

• Like 1