Why become a member? ×

Across the Himalayas with Rod and Emu

oldslapper

2 hours ago, Twigman said:

In the infinity of the universe perhaps there is one consciousness which is reincarnated again and again to live every living thing's life?

I'm prepared to believe that there's just one intelligence.

It's pot luck who is using it on any given day.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ead said:

image.png.d18f48c497b914fc72989b38a1d0bcba.png

That reminds me, I might have a chicken tarka for tea tonight. 

What's that I hear you cry, what's a chicken tarka? 

Well, it's like a chicken tikka, but.............. wait for it wait for iiiit............ it's a little 'otter. 

I thangyew :hi:

• Haha 7

My Favourite Prog Band #23 - Baroness Hale on Barclay James Harvest

sc-lady-hale-005-for-use-crop-1569337129

As the first female President of The Supreme Court people often come up to me and say "Baroness Hale, your wisdom, your modesty and your trademark insect brooches are an inspiration to us all. But which is your favourite prog band?"

Goodness me! It's so difficult to make a choice from such a wide and flourishing genre. Does The Pink Floyd still count as a prog band? I asked the Attorney General about this. In his characteristically fruity tones  he demurred from the proposition, arguing that the Floyd had proceeded in an unbroken direction straight from psychedelic pop through sui generis neo-atonalism to meat and potatoes Classic Rock.

So, not The Pink Floyd, even though I must have played Dark Side Of The Moon at least five or six times since it came out.

Genesis? Well, early on but not later, obviously. Yes? Certainly. Van Der Graaf Generator? Indubitably, though to my mind VDG's early commercial success in Italy contaminates the notion of absolute progressivism.

In the end I reclined upon the judgement of that simple girl who rose from obscurity to become the venerated Focus (another one, ha ha!) of so many ordinary peoples' admiration, i.e. me when I was young. I would have to ask myself 'Who did I like when I was a tousle-haired, dope-smoking bit of alright?' and answer came there 'Barclay James Harvest'

Ah, Barclay James Harvest: the wild, shirtless vocals of John Lees, the bong-rattling bass of Les Holroyd, the plangent mellotron of Woolly Woolllstenholme and the competent drum work of Mel Pritchard. It may shock my admirers to learn that at the tender age of 26 and prompted by a flatmate's purchase of BJH's second album Once Again I hitchhiked in June 1971 to see the band at the Clitheroe Festival where - despite the obviously insanitary nature of my fellow attendees - I was transported to a fairy land of blissful awareness by the delicate filigree of sounds emanating from the stage. It was during this concert that - as if by magic - a voice suddenly thundered in my ears "Give up the drugs, Brenda! Devote yourself more assiduously to your legal career and be the shield that the little people need!"

So that's why Barclay James Harvest is my favourite prog band. I liked their music and still do. But they set me on the path to being who I am today and that's what's really important, isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

My Favourite Prog Band #23 - Baroness Hale on Barclay James Harvest

sc-lady-hale-005-for-use-crop-1569337129

As the first female President of The Supreme Court people often come up to me and say "Baroness Hale, your wisdom, your modesty and your trademark insect brooches are an inspiration to us all. But which is your favourite prog band?"

Goodness me! It's so difficult to make a choice from such a wide and flourishing genre. Does The Pink Floyd still count as a prog band? I asked the Attorney General about this. In his characteristically fruity tones  he demurred from the proposition, arguing that the Floyd had proceeded in an unbroken direction straight from psychedelic pop through sui generis neo-atonalism to meat and potatoes Classic Rock.

So, not The Pink Floyd, even though I must have played Dark Side Of The Moon at least five or six times since it came out.

Genesis? Well, early on but not later, obviously. Yes? Certainly. Van Der Graaf Generator? Indubitably, though to my mind VDG's early commercial success in Italy contaminates the notion of absolute progressivism.

In the end I reclined upon the judgement of that simple girl who rose from obscurity to become the venerated Focus (another one, ha ha!) of so many ordinary peoples' admiration, i.e. me when I was young. I would have to ask myself 'Who did I like when I was a tousle-haired, dope-smoking bit of alright?' and answer came there 'Barclay James Harvest'

Ah, Barclay James Harvest: the wild, shirtless vocals of John Lees, the bong-rattling bass of Les Holroyd, the plangent mellotron of Woolly Woolllstenholme and the competent drum work of Mel Pritchard. It may shock my admirers to learn that at the tender age of 26 and prompted by a flatmate's purchase of BJH's second album Once Again I hitchhiked in June 1971 to see the band at the Clitheroe Festival where - despite the obviously insanitary nature of my fellow attendees - I was transported to a fairy land of blissful awareness by the delicate filigree of sounds emanating from the stage. It was during this concert that - as if by magic - a voice suddenly thundered in my ears "Give up the drugs, Brenda! Devote yourself more assiduously to your legal career and be the shield that the little people need!"

So that's why Barclay James Harvest is my favourite prog band. I liked their music and still do. But they set me on the path to being who I am today and that's what's really important, isn't it?

A journey of self-discovery driven by BJH that is almost identical to my own.

With the obvious difference that I'm not a member of the Supreme Court.

Although i do believe that i was, in my day, a tousle-haired bit of alright.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

MOD NOTICE:

Right, you lot - to spare our sanity, I've just merged a load of 'same' threads into one king-sized pile of nonsense.

How splendid, a reasonable Moderati wielding their powers properly, there. Good show.

52 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

If anyone has any objections, please feel free to write it on a bit of paper and put it straight in the bin.

Cheers 🙂

Brilliant.

• Like 2