Why become a member? ×

When is classic rock not classic rock?

odysseus

On 02/01/2020 at 16:13, Nicko said:

"Classic rock" doesn't really exist as a genre because its just old rock, but if someone says classic rock I assume they are talking about the kimd of music that predominated rock before punk. More accurate would be 60s and 70s rock with too much focus on guitar widdling (ie The Beatles don't really count as they are a pop band)

This is probably the extent covered by the initial lasso of a station like Planet Rock, isn't it? Notice also how they tend to only play a very narrow selection of stuff by The Stones (Brown Sugar or Start Me Up, perhaps?) or The Who (generally only the ones that got picked for CSI title credits), despite them generally being considered a little on the influential side everywhere else. Oh, and nothing too psychedelic either - Hendrix and Cream sneak in as a rare breath of fresh air on that station some days...

16 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

This is probably the extent covered by the initial lasso of a station like Planet Rock, isn't it? Notice also how they tend to only play a very narrow selection of stuff by The Stones (Brown Sugar or Start Me Up, perhaps?) or The Who (generally only the ones that got picked for CSI title credits), despite them generally being considered a little on the influential side everywhere else. Oh, and nothing too psychedelic either - Hendrix and Cream sneak in as a rare breath of fresh air on that station some days...

They get less conservative at night. The Long Player and Phil Alexander are pretty eclectic at times.

In any case, where else can you tune in with a decent chance of hearing the Pink Fairies, Alex Harvey or the whole of Stargazer?

I used to play a lot of electronic music and the band would tongue-in-cheek argue whether something was post-Breakbeat or early Dubstep, Progressive Jungle or perhaps simply IDM. The joke was really that the terms we use to describe music is entirely subjective since the perception of the music is subjective, but also that the nomenclature is undefined. 

I can quite categorically state that Supersonic by Oasis is classic Rock; its 25 years old and features the instrumentation common to the genre 'rock'. You could argue that I'm a moron. Neither of us would be right (well maybe you would be but I'd never admit it!) since the terms are SO subjective. 

I'll introduce the game: Classic Rock or Not?

Light My Fire by the Doors

Hedonism by Skunk Anansie

Apache by The Shadows

Pretty Vacant by The Sex Pistols

I know these 4 songs are clearly in other genres, but are genres exclusive? Can something be NWOBHM as well as Classic Rock? If so can something be Punk as well as Classic Rock?

I think there's an argument that all four of the songs above can be considered Classic Rock.

1 hour ago, DanOwens said:

I used to play a lot of electronic music and the band would tongue-in-cheek argue whether something was post-Breakbeat or early Dubstep, Progressive Jungle or perhaps simply IDM. The joke was really that the terms we use to describe music is entirely subjective since the perception of the music is subjective, but also that the nomenclature is undefined. 

I can quite categorically state that Supersonic by Oasis is classic Rock; its 25 years old and features the instrumentation common to the genre 'rock'. You could argue that I'm a moron. Neither of us would be right (well maybe you would be but I'd never admit it!) since the terms are SO subjective. 

I'll introduce the game: Classic Rock or Not?

Light My Fire by the Doors

Hedonism by Skunk Anansie

Apache by The Shadows

Pretty Vacant by The Sex Pistols

I know these 4 songs are clearly in other genres, but are genres exclusive? Can something be NWOBHM as well as Classic Rock? If so can something be Punk as well as Classic Rock?

I think there's an argument that all four of the songs above can be considered Classic Rock.

The Doors - yes

Skunk Anasie - no idea as never heard of them

The Shadows - no its pop music of that era

Sex Pistols - no its punk

Just my personal opinion. If people want to call the other songs classic rock i have no problem with them being wrong. :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Dave:hi:

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They get less conservative at night. The Long Player and Phil Alexander are pretty eclectic at times.

In any case, where else can you tune in with a decent chance of hearing the Pink Fairies, Alex Harvey or the whole of Stargazer?

Ooh...thank you for the tipoff - I've obviously only heard it at the wrong times of day!

7 hours ago, DanOwens said:

I used to play a lot of electronic music and the band would tongue-in-cheek argue whether something was post-Breakbeat or early Dubstep, Progressive Jungle or perhaps simply IDM. The joke was really that the terms we use to describe music is entirely subjective since the perception of the music is subjective, but also that the nomenclature is undefined

Your rehearsals must be more fun than a barrel of monkeys 🤣

(Just joshin')

15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Your rehearsals must be more fun than a barrel of monkeys 🤣

(Just joshin')

You've no idea. It was an improvised Drum & Bass band and it was just an excuse for us to indulge our greatest excesses - ridiculous gear, complex harmony, polyrhythms... and I wonder why we never got that far! 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
On 29/12/2019 at 08:45, dmccombe7 said:

This is always a touchy subject on here.

For me personally Classic Rock was when Rock was at it height in 70's / 80's.

When i think of Classic Rock i think Deep Purple, Rainbow, Alice Cooper, Sabbath, Whitesnake and similar bands.

I think it depends on your age group tho

Dave

Agree 100%. Classic rock is 70's-80's. Everyone should know the hits--they hear them everywhere--from the grocery store to streaming music at work by office workers. I work in a government agency and I know a couple 20 something ladies that are crazy excited about seeing Def Leppard in Seattle this fall. They listen to 80's constantly. 

• Like 2

Think there was a big difference between late 60's / 70's the songs or albums were all in the National charts. A lot of those bands back then were THE popular music and most people were listening to them. After 70's passed the charts changed and the general puplic started listening to other popular music incl punk, funk, disco etc. That meant rock or classic rock  music became more like a cult following with many of the classic or rock bands sales were to fans of that particular band.

You are now seeing songs by bands like Floyd, Zep, Lizzy from that 70's era being used on adverts today and that's because so many people recognise those songs as classics. 

If you ask yourself the question will you hear stereophonics or 90's bands songs being used in 40 / 50 yrs then i would think probably not. A lot of those bands will be lost in time as one hit wonders.

Again its all subjective and just my own observations and opinions. I can bet the younger generation on here that were into bands in the 90's will disagree and think bands like Oasis, Blur, Stereophonics will have songs that will be remembered in 50 yrs and therefore they should be classed as Classic rock. All subjective.

Dave

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think there was a big difference between late 60's / 70's the songs or albums were all in the National charts. A lot of those bands back then were THE popular music and most people were listening to them. After 70's passed the charts changed and the general puplic started listening to other popular music incl punk, funk, disco etc. That meant rock or classic rock  music became more like a cult following with many of the classic or rock bands sales were to fans of that particular band.

You are now seeing songs by bands like Floyd, Zep, Lizzy from that 70's era being used on adverts today and that's because so many people recognise those songs as classics. 

If you ask yourself the question will you hear stereophonics or 90's bands songs being used in 40 / 50 yrs then i would think probably not. A lot of those bands will be lost in time as one hit wonders.

Again its all subjective and just my own observations and opinions. I can bet the younger generation on here that were into bands in the 90's will disagree and think bands like Oasis, Blur, Stereophonics will have songs that will be remembered in 50 yrs and therefore they should be classed as Classic rock. All subjective.

Dave

Some will, some won't.  Let's not forget Wonderwall is from 1995 so has already lasted over 25 years,  Blur's Parklife has been used on adverts for Chanel, Coke, Nike and Vitality Health Insurance. A lot of 90s tracks are finding their way into TV series and films.

How many Deep Purple tracks get played on mainstream radio regularly?  I suspect to some millenials many of the classic rock bands will be considered one hit wonders.

• Like 1

We simply based our set on a few criteria. Would folk like it in the pub?, Can we do it justice with our instruments and ability? Can I play it and sing it? How many other local bands are playing it? If said song passed these rules then we played it regardless of what style it was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

Some will, some won't.  Let's not forget Wonderwall is from 1995 so has already lasted over 25 years,  Blur's Parklife has been used on adverts for Chanel, Coke, Nike and Vitality Health Insurance. A lot of 90s tracks are finding their way into TV series and films.

How many Deep Purple tracks get played on mainstream radio regularly?  I suspect to some millenials many of the classic rock bands will be considered one hit wonders.

Heard Deep Purple Hush on an advert few yrs ago and Highway Star in a Documentary as a background track but yes i see your point but lets see in 50 yrs what's getting played. (i'll be 110 by then so wont be able to hear the radio by then 😂)

I still tend to think of Oasis and Blur as relatively new bands 😂

Altho i was never a fan of either Oasis and Blur i do recognise Wonderwall and Parklife as being famous songs. I still dont class the bands as classic rock bands but that's probably a generation age thing.

Dave

1 hour ago, ubit said:

We simply based our set on a few criteria. Would folk like it in the pub?, Can we do it justice with our instruments and ability? Can I play it and sing it? How many other local bands are playing it? If said song passed these rules then we played it regardless of what style it was.

That makes sense. I've played the Stereophonics song Dakota in a couple of bands and to be fair its a great crowd pleaser and pretty good fun to play. If a varied age group audience in a venue like a song then maybe that's a classic rock song. 

But does that make the band a classic rock band ? I couldn't name any other Stereophonics songs but i'm sure younger people might not be able to name many Deep Purple, Zep or Floyd songs.

Dave