Why become a member? ×

Aguilar to Phil Jones - will I be disappointed?

Basilpea

I currently use Aguilar TH500 with a DB115 and a DB210 for my fretless bass and double bass, but as I am now comfortably into my 70's I find the 115 a little challenging to lift around, so I am thinking of changing to a couple of PJB C47's.  Has anyone else done this?  Will I be disappointed?  Do I need to change the amp?  The benefit of your experience would be much appreciated.

PJB sounds good. . . . not my sound but it's very good gear.

And yes, I've downsized my Bergantino 112 and 212 cabs to 2 Barefaced 112's. I'd suggest you keep the TH500 (great amps) and replace your cabs with a Barefaced Super Compact (21lbs) or a Two10 (28lbs). Lighter, louder and IMO better tone.

Edited by chris_b

PJB stuff is great, but it can struggle for power. My Briefcase amp is great for jazz, but I"d not bother taking it to a rock gig, however small.

I love my little 150 combo, but I got it in the Guitar Guitar sale. Had I paid full price I would have been disappointed. Personally, I'd stick with Aguilar unless you play small gigs, or go for bespoke handmade cabs (as Chris suggests). 

You simply must try and compare before making the switch. FWIW, I use PJB cabs with an AG700 and like the sound a great deal. PJB stuff is quite hi-fi and the slight warmth that Aguilar kit has is a good foil for that. You need a few PJB cabs to shift air if you're using the 5" drivers (I have four 4x5s, although smaller jobs are adequately covered by two or three). The 7s, as in the C47s you refer to, are better in that regard - more weight to the sound. However, don't make the switch without trying/comparing. It could be an expensive wrong turning.

For lightweight, loud and great tone there are many good cabs to choose from.  Personally, I think PJB are great for tone but not the lightest or loudest as Dan Dare said above.

I have joint problems and have to avoid heavy lifting.  I've also found Barefaced cabs to meet my requirements for great tone, loud when required, but very lightweight.

Tonight I'll be gigging a BF Super Midget in a medium sized pub in a 5 piece band and I know it'll cope easily.

The usual advice to "try before you buy" applies, although Barefaced offer a month to return your cab if you don't like it.

Frank.

PJB do not tick any of my boxes these days, ahead of the game 10 years ago, on which basis I bought several of their products, but behind the game now, and IME underpowered by comparison with almost everything else rated at the same wattage. If you need lightweight look at Barefaced cabs and pair with a Class D head of your choice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fleabag said:

I gig 2 PJB  4x5"  C4 cabs, 400 watt and 29lbs each + Genz Benz  Shuttlemax  9.2 , 900 watt and 5.75 lbs

I dont have any problems with volume , even in my 7 piece band

They do project well. I first noticed this when someone else played through my rig. I was surprised how much bass there was out in the room from a couple of 4x5 cabs.

Re. comments about weight, they are solidly built and the larger PJB cabs are heavy. However, if you run several of the smaller cabs, as we do, they are easy to carry in several trips from/to the car. No big deal.

Thanks so much to all of you for taking the trouble to advise me on this.  I wasn't aware of Barefaced cabs, but having now educated myself a little more I can totally understand why you have pointed me in that direction - I think you have probably saved me a whole lot of time, frustration and money.  

I have now emailed Barefaced to check out what they recommend and I expect to be changing the cabs out fairly soon.  Any fit young Aguilar fans should watch this space...........

Thanks again guys

I went from a rig with 2 DB112 cabs to one Greenboy Fearless F112. It’s a revelation not having to move so much weight around. And the sound is clearer than ever.  The only problem I found is that my TH500 couldn’t deliver the volume at 8 Ohms so I now have a Quilter BB800 to power it.  It’s a great sounding light rig that’s shockingly loud.

In one of the rehearsal rooms at the music school I teach at the bass rig is a SWR Redhead (2x10 combo) with a SWR 18” extension cab.  The Quilter/Fearless rig annihilates the SWR rig for quality and quantity of sound.

If your goal is to reduce the weight of what you’re moving around, there are better ways to go than PJB.  PJB do make nice well made gear, but not the most practical any more in my opinion.

If your foray into Barefaced doesn’t work out, Greenboy cabs will be of interest.

Edited by Jazzjames