Why become a member? ×

Unceremoniously sacked!

Rubbersoul

I got ejected for being to widdly and the rhythm guitarist took over on bass.

At least that's what they said. I have to be honest I wanted to play semi-improvisational space rock and they wanted to play straight indy/garage type stuff.

They did give me a writing credit on the next demo tape before they disappeared intop obscurity (not that we were ever very non-obscure).

• Like 1

I can identify with the OP. I got a place in the band after the original bass player moved away. About a year later I was sacked from the band for various unconvincing reasons, and lo & behold, a few weeks later the original bassist was back.

I'd seen the sacking coming due to changes in the atmosphere at practices, stopping going to the pub afterwards, and the band not playing songs that I had been specifically been asked to learn the bass for.

I'd have prefered them just to say "The old bass player is coming back".

• Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 15:31, oldslapper said:

You’re better off away from people who:-

1- Can’t tell you face to face

As unhappy as I was about being fired and they way they handled it, at least they did it to my face with everyone present. 

One of my pals was informed of his sacking by text message. Pretty low.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 15:53, Bluewine said:

We're the other signs that these guys were not on the " up and up" ?

Blue

Looking back, yes there were but I didn’t recognise it at the time. Never bothered with a new band photo for one and they had the other guy dep on a gig I was unavailable for. Just wee things but I was having too much fun at the time to notice. With hindsight, I think I may have unknowingly signed on as a temporary replacement whilst the other guy got his stinky poo together. You live and (hopefully) learn! Such a shame cos they were a brilliant band to play with.

11 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

On the topic of a Band Leader, all the best bands I've been in have had a very effective one, driving everything forward.  And they do it while keeping everybody on side, to feel like we're all pushing together, we're not being forced to do things against our will

I've been in bands with fantastic musicians that have got nowhere because they lacked somebody who could do that, the ones where we all sit around moaning about not having any gigs booked, but with nobody who spots that the way to solve that is for them to spend some time actively looking for gigs, or a booker, or better management, etc.  I know I'm not that person, and while having a good BL doesn't mean that the band will be successful, all the successful bands I know have one

Our singer was the de facto BL. It was him who invited me in in the first place and he and I appeared to be on the same page and discussing the future re recordings, gigs and so on. That’s why the call was such a shock! Sod it, my own project that I’ve been working on with a close mate for a few years is finally getting where we want it to be and we’re going into the studio in a couple of weeks so I’ll have plenty to keep me going. Onwards and upwards 😎

• Like 3