Why become a member? ×

Unceremoniously sacked!

Rubbersoul

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

18mths with a band i wouldn't be classing you as a newbie anymore.

But they did, which is the point! 

I've just been reading Bernie Marsden's autobiography. When Whitesnake started they had a drummer called Duck Dowle on the first few albums; a great pro drummer who was a good fit and who they all liked. But as soon as Ian Paice became available he was replaced. All the rest of the band thought it was harsh and knew it easily could have happened to them, but they all agreed it it was the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, sometimes that is part of being in a band. No point in getting upset about it, even though it is frustrating. It's no reflection on you, just move onto the next band... 

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

I've been fired twice so the band leader could get his mate in. The drummer I'm playing with tonight was fired, from a band we both played in, for exactly the same reason.

Some band leaders will stick with you even if you're shagging their wife and other will sell you down the river at the slightest excuse. That's the life we live in bands. That's why you need to network so you can quickly bounce back and stick two fingers up at these guys.

Which band leaders and more importantly which wives. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, gjones said:

Why didn't they do the honorable thing and disband the band, then two weeks later, reform it with the previous bass player and a different name?

Isn't that how it's done?

Damn I thought I was literally the only person to ever think of that 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Cato said:

You're better off out of it. If it hadn't been the old guy wanting back in there would probably have been some other daft drama shortly down the line.

Fish gotta swim.

Birds gotta fly.

@rseholes gotta @rse.

+1

It never ceases to amaze me how some of the @rseholes manage to retain their front teeth or avoid occassional black eyes!! Or perhaps they don't sack the more volatile personalities!! 

Seriously though, you've been treated pretty badly there. Move on to something better and definitely make use of the contacts you've made (such as gigs or even suitable musicians) in the future 👍

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Teebs said:

Total b*stards! >:(

As others have said, the former bassist will realise why he left and do the same again.

Have them all killed! >:(

Best of luck Rubbersoul 👍

Have some perspective Young Teebs, you can't kill them all. Imagine a band just comprising of basissts because anyone who tried to play another instrument is murdered!

We'd all be in Royal Blood tribute bands...

• Haha 7

Never understood this "Band leader" thing, unless its a brass band. Every band I have been in has been a democracy. Unless its a solo musician with an understanding that the rest are simply hired hands. Anyway, they sound like a bunch of twunts, you are well out of it.

2 minutes ago, Storky said:

Guitarists are 10 a penny; the others should have said goodbye to him when he threw the toys out and you could have got a new guitarist.

Slightly disagree, average guitarists are 10 a penny if that’s all you require, excellent guitarists are harder to find because they are always working in bands.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikel said:

Never understood this "Band leader" thing, unless its a brass band. Every band I have been in has been a democracy. Unless its a solo musician with an understanding that the rest are simply hired hands. Anyway, they sound like a bunch of twunts, you are well out of it.

Our band very much has a leader, he writes all of the music (the drummer now provides the majority of the lyrics) and determines the musical direction.

It works pretty well, all of our opinions are listened to when something comes up, but we all know that the final decision is his. I think we're all ok with it, although there are occassional spats beteeen him and the other singer, nothing major though.

As for the o/p, that's a pants thing for the band to do, but as others have said, forget about them and move on. There will be better things on the horizon.

7 hours ago, SICbass said:

Now THERE’S a statement you don’t often hear 😏

Don't you believe it. Plenty of jazzers do very nicely playing in function bands, etc. They may not get to play much pure jazz, but if they make good money doing a few weddings and parties each week, they have plenty of time to satisfy their souls at other times.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

Hey ,it sucks when you are given the elbow in a band , especially for some rather random  reason like getting the old bass player back in.

These days bands seem to chop and change members at the drop of a hat , wrong bass, wrong image , wrong hair ( in my case , no hair ) .

As difficult as it is , try to stay on good terms with the others , as soon as the band implodes ,they may be getting in touch with a " new project " 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikel said:

Never understood this "Band leader" thing, unless its a brass band. Every band I have been in has been a democracy. 

My last band didn’t have a band leader as such, but the guitarist / frontman formed the band so it was always considered his band. Other opinions were listened to, but ultimately he had final say, handled the finances etc. 

It wasn’t a situation I was comfortable with but it’s what I signed up for so I accepted the way it was. 

In my experience of being in bands I’ve found the truly democratic ones are the most dysfunctional, especially with even numbers of members. 

It sounds like a real shitty thing to do to you, but you should rise above it. 

But before you do you should get another band together, ring around and cancel all the previous bands gigs, then step in at the last minute with your new band and watch the stunned look on their stupid little faces when they arrive to find your new band set up in their place. Ha! 

Then rise above it 😁

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

My last band didn’t have a band leader as such, but the guitarist / frontman formed the band so it was always considered his band. Other opinions were listened to, but ultimately he had final say, handled the finances etc. 

It wasn’t a situation I was comfortable with but it’s what I signed up for so I accepted the way it was. 

In my experience of being in bands I’ve found the truly democratic ones are the most dysfunctional, especially with even numbers of members. 

Yup, like RATM for example (although it's apparently only two out of the four that couldn't agree on anything) ... (and yep, I know they're re-forming for some gigs next year)... what they want, is an Ike Turner character to slap 'em about a bit. 😬

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gjones said:

Why didn't they do the honorable thing and disband the band, then two weeks later, reform it with the previous bass player and a different name?

Isn't that how it's done?

I was party to a situation like that only we didn`t even have the decency to change the band name. Not a nice thing to do. It`s amazing what you can let yourself get talked into.

Screw 'em... Get stuck into doing what speaks to you and let them do what they want. Don't give it a second thought.

I've been fired twice. Early 90s, original band, BBC radio one sessions, big ticket supports, probably pushier than I should have been with the benefit of hindsight, fired and replaced with a 'mate'... Hello instant obscurity. 

Second time, very lucrative functions, mostly BFO, band gone 6 months later.

It's usually other people's problems IME, just get on with getting on. Better people will come, better bands and better situations will come.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

You have our sympathy, but do they want the other guy - the one who left and came back - because he's a better player? Experiences such as this are unpleasant, but there is often a positive (even if it's hard to see at first) that we can take from them. Worth taking some lessons and/or working on the technique to improve your skill level and musical abilities?

To be  fair: no. I did think about that but then I listened to a few live recordings and  can guarantee that’s not the case.

• Like 2

On 28/12/2019 at 01:10, Rubbersoul said:

So, got a call 3 nights before Christmas. Sorry Steve , the guitarist wants the old bass player back. Says he’ll quit otherwise. Bearing in mind the other guy quit and I’ve thrown myself in, I feel a little hard done by. flipin raging.  

if they want a band where one member can hold everyone else hostage... I think you're better off elsewhere. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

That's why it helps to form bands with people who have similar goals to start with. 

If you get 5 different characters with 5 different ideas and want to run everything by agreeing using simple majority... it won't work.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Our band very much has a leader, he writes all of the music (the drummer now provides the majority of the lyrics) and determines the musical direction.

It works pretty well, all of our opinions are listened to when something comes up, but we all know that the final decision is his. I think we're all ok with it, although there are occassional spats beteeen him and the other singer, nothing major though.

As for the o/p, that's a pants thing for the band to do, but as others have said, forget about them and move on. There will be better things on the horizon.

Well if he writes all the material and decides the musical direction then he fits the "Solo musician with hired hands" slot, as I said.

• Like 1