Why become a member? ×

Unceremoniously sacked!

Rubbersoul

It’s hard, but it’s done and nothing can change that. If that’s how little they value you, well, you’re better off finding out as soon as possible and having these people out of your life. Let the negative rage go and move on. Believe in yourself. Use that energy to get something else going. F**k ‘em.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 15

That sucks.

As the Doc says, it's better that you know now.

I can't help thinking that they'll be back when the reasons that the previous guy left all surface again.

But right now, I think you're better off without people like this in your life so move on and find some better people to work with.

• Like 3

What is it with people these days.  If one of my staff threw a tantrum and threatened to quit over something I'd hold the door open for them.  

If that's they type of spineless weasels you were playing with then you're better off without them.

You mist now form a new, better band, amd steal all their gigs.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 6

Outrageous from any band even more so just before Xmas.

Agree with others, the reasons he left will resurface and he'll leave again. 

Out of curiosity how long were you in the band ?

Move on to something better and get it out your system.

If it helps i'd be raging too.

Dave 

• Like 2

I can only sympathise, having been unceremoniously sacked myself a couple of weeks ago. If you didn’t see the thread at the time it’s here, you might find it interesting... 

I’m still mystified / annoyed with the insubstantial reasons and the way they handled it. Good luck to you, something better might be just around the corner. 

• Like 3

I've been fired twice so the band leader could get his mate in. The drummer I'm playing with tonight was fired, from a band we both played in, for exactly the same reason.

Some band leaders will stick with you even if you're shagging their wife and other will sell you down the river at the slightest excuse. That's the life we live in bands. That's why you need to network so you can quickly bounce back and stick two fingers up at these guys.

• Like 9

Unfortunately that's often the problem when you play with people who aren't mates. I've been booted out  of non-mates bands a few times which is why I no longer bother and will only consider forming or joining a band with people who are at least good acquaintances. Unless they are your mates then I'd tell myself it's no big loss and they were sh01te anyway. Good luck finding a better band with less sh1tty people

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

I can only sympathise, having been unceremoniously sacked myself a couple of weeks ago. If you didn’t see the thread at the time it’s here, you might find it interesting... 

I’m still mystified / annoyed with the insubstantial reasons and the way they handled it. Good luck to you, something better might be just around the corner. 

I did see this and I remember thinking, stinky poo, that really sucks, why do people treat their so-called band mates like that. 

You have our sympathy, but do they want the other guy - the one who left and came back - because he's a better player? Experiences such as this are unpleasant, but there is often a positive (even if it's hard to see at first) that we can take from them. Worth taking some lessons and/or working on the technique to improve your skill level and musical abilities?

What a nasty thing to do just before Christmas!! Similar thing happened to me. Old bass player clearly wanted to get back in the band and was hanging around like a spectre at the feast. I managed to see the writing in the wall and resigned before I was fired. I was still bloody annoyed though.

Happy ending, I was invited into a much better band by people who'd seen me play in the other one. I'm sure you'll go on to better things too!!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

You have our sympathy, but do they want the other guy - the one who left and came back - because he's a better player? Experiences such as this are unpleasant, but there is often a positive (even if it's hard to see at first) that we can take from them. Worth taking some lessons and/or working on the technique to improve your skill level and musical abilities?

Good advice about the lessons etc.

Don't know about the OP, but my case the player that left and then wanted back in was worse than me. There aren't many players worse than me, but he definitely was!!😂

Sometimes it's just a 'mates' thing.

• Haha 4

It happened to me a few years ago, I’d joined them, they were a jazz outfit doing lots of well paid gigs. I’d just started my MMus, which took up more time up than I’d envisaged. I had told the guy before I joined that I was going to start it. They didn’t rehearse; no real need to, we were playing from lead sheets. Then a new guitarist joined and wanted to rehearse, which is when things went wrong, I couldn’t spare the time. They admitted the guy that took over from me was nowhere near is good, that didn’t really make it any better. I enjoyed playing with them, and I lost a source of income.

it has happened to friends too, and it’s happened to other musicians in bands that I’ve been part of. It’s partly why in the end I stopped being an actual member of a band, and just did dep gigs. I couldn’t stand it, I’m very much a loner, it used to really annoy me when people would try and embroil me in the inter-band politics.

The last thing I was a part of was actually really good, it was more of a collective, three bassists, one doubled on guitar too, two drummers, a couple of sax players, two keyboard players, two vocalists. It was organised so that everyone got an equal share of the gigs, not every gig needed a vocalist; we were playing jazz, it worked really well, they were great musicians and really nice people. I was the youngest by about 30 years, maybe that’s why it worked so well, them being more mature?

• Like 1

Happens to the best of us. I got booted when the originals band I was in landed the opening slot for the Blur reunion gigs. Mysteriously the original bass player was reinstated - not surprising as they were all childhood friends and I was the 18 month newbie to the band.

Ragin'.

Still, silver lining, they never got anywhere and disbanded soon after.

16 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Happens to the best of us. I got booted when the originals band I was in landed the opening slot for the Blur reunion gigs. Mysteriously the original bass player was reinstated - not surprising as they were all childhood friends and I was the 18 month newbie to the band.

Ragin'.

Still, silver lining, they never got anywhere and disbanded soon after.

18mths with a band i wouldn't be classing you as a newbie anymore.