Why become a member? ×

Give me some six-string stuff!

geoham

So I unexpectedly received a six-string bass for Christmas... my wife misunderstood my suggestion of a six-string guitar (with a cheap Tele in mind!).

I’m quite pleased with the bass, and would like to put it to good use. It probably won’t see much use playing 70’s covers with the band, but I’m open to trying some upper register chordal stuff or anything a bit different.... expand my bass horizons for the first time in about 20 years! I saw a clip of Otiel Burbridge with Scott Devine that seems interesting.

Any recommendations or pointers? Happy to buy a book, dvd or whatever.

George

14 hours ago, ambient said:

Anthony Jackson is a monster 6 string player, he’s credited with inventing it. Steve Lawson too is amazing. John Myung is brilliant in more of a progressive metal vein.

Cheers, I’ll have a listen to them all and see where it leads me.

John Patitucci does some nice chordal things on 6 string. Other players you can check out include Steve Bailey, Tye Zamora, Jon Stockman, Stefan Fimmers, Oteil Burbridge, Alain Caron, Jimmy Haslip, Ben Shepherd, Adam Niti, Rich Brown, Phil Lesh, Jojo Garza, Tony Grey, Boris Koslov, Miguel Ramirez, Henrik Linder and Damian Coccio.

That'll get you started ;)

8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

John Patitucci does some nice chordal things on 6 string. Other players you can check out include Steve Bailey, Tye Zamora, Jon Stockman, Stefan Fimmers, Oteil Burbridge, Alain Caron, Jimmy Haslip, Ben Shepherd, Adam Niti, Rich Brown, Phil Lesh, Jojo Garza, Tony Grey, Boris Koslov, Miguel Ramirez, Henrik Linder and Damian Coccio.

That'll get you started ;)

Certainly plenty there! Can you point me to any transcriptions or books for any of these?

Thanks,

George

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 Patitucci transcriptions posted here, Tone Poem and Heart Of The Bass. Tone Poem isn't too tricky, Heart Of The Bass is a different animal. I also transcribed a solo version of Meditations, which unfortunately doesn't exist on YouTube anymore! I don't have a full transcription for this unfortunate but the video is pretty clear :) 

2 minutes ago, funkypenguin said:

I have 2 Patitucci transcriptions posted here, Tone Poem and Heart Of The Bass. Tone Poem isn't too tricky, Heart Of The Bass is a different animal. I also transcribed a solo version of Meditations, which unfortunately doesn't exist on YouTube anymore! I don't have a full transcription for this unfortunate but the video is pretty clear :) 

Thank you, I'll give those a bash. Perfect timing, I was just looking at some Patitucci books on Amazon!

Id love to have those transcription pdfs too please - but the links are no longer in the original threads from 2012.  it says "[attachment..]" but nothing there that I could right click and download.

Could you please post them somewhere offsite and put a link here, or just PM both of us so we can send our direct email to you or something?

Thanks so much!

On 27/12/2019 at 13:51, geoham said:

So I unexpectedly received a six-string bass for Christmas... my wife misunderstood my suggestion of a six-string guitar (with a cheap Tele in mind!).

I’m quite pleased with the bass, and would like to put it to good use. It probably won’t see much use playing 70’s covers with the band, but I’m open to trying some upper register chordal stuff or anything a bit different.... expand my bass horizons for the first time in about 20 years! I saw a clip of Otiel Burbridge with Scott Devine that seems interesting.

Any recommendations or pointers? Happy to buy a book, dvd or whatever.

George

By the way, that's the best happy accident I've heard of - your wife getting you a 6 string bass.  That must have been a much bigger challenge for her than the guitar would have been.... and much more exciting!  You can grab a telecaster on CL any time you want, cheap or pricey, they're all pretty good due to simplicity of design imho.  But 6 string basses are harder to come by - I'm impressed by your wife's resourcefulness and support!

9 hours ago, geoham said:

@funkypenguin It looks like the attachments or links to these files is broken - I think it's related to the upgrade that was done a couple of years ago. Do you still have the original files?

By the way - I love your tone in that video!

1 hour ago, donkelley said:

Id love to have those transcription pdfs too please - but the links are no longer in the original threads from 2012.  it says "[attachment..]" but nothing there that I could right click and download.

Could you please post them somewhere offsite and put a link here, or just PM both of us so we can send our direct email to you or something?

Thanks so much!

No worries guys, I still have both in PDF form. Be advised that they're in sheet music form, not TAB! PM me your email addresses and I'll send them over :)

1 hour ago, funkypenguin said:

No worries guys, I still have both in PDF form. Be advised that they're in sheet music form, not TAB! PM me your email addresses and I'll send them over :)

I’ll drop you a PM shortly, thanks.

Tab is often the devil anyway.... especially the crazy fingering choices often seen online.