Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird PUP choices

JohnDaBass

I'm embarking on a Fenderbird Bitsa build and I am seeking views, opinions and  experiences of different Thunderbird PUPs used by Basschat members. I've got a Jazz neck and have an Epiphone Thunderbird bass body on it's way so before choosing PUPs I wanted some input. Tone wise, I'm for a typical Gibson Thunderbird sound. So who has used, Bass Buckers, EMG TBHZ, Seymour Duncan, Bartolini T4CBC or any other PUPs?

41 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Old growly Thunderbird would be the objective. 

Good answer 😎

Thunderbuckers get good reviews - I had a set in a Cataldo Fenderbird a few years ago.

https://www.thunderbuckerranch.com/pickups

Honestly, I prefer the stock pickups in my Epiphone Vintage Pro - a bit livelier with more top end.

Mojos are meant to be good, and are cheaper with custom options available.

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/thunderbird-bass/

+1 for the Thunderbuckers.   I have a "66" pair in a Warmoth custom T'bird, and they nail the tone of my 1965 T'bird IV, but they are pricey.   Seems to be a bit more choice around now since I got them (which was basically either the Thunderbuckers or Mike Lulls for the "classic" type).    Not keen on the modern Gibson units.

Try to get a couple of 2nd hand Gibson TBird pups. They pop up once and again on the 2nd hand market.

I've searched for good replacements because I thought that the pups of my TBird that was in the process of being built were sounding too dark. To my surprise these pups are very growly.

Just to be awkward, I've squeezed a pair of Dingwall split coil soapbars under the chrome covers on mine, which is my preference for sound. The Epi routs are a decent size to fit most soapbars in, so the world's your oyster, really...

The new T-Birds with the Pro Bucker 760`s on sound amazing (well they do to me) I had the old alpine white one with the Gibson  pickups in but these are far better, I`ve also got one of the active T-Bird pro`s but I changed those pups for a set of custom wound Ghost Dirty Dozens and it`s very dark sounding and full.

• Like 1

+1 for Thunderbuckers. I've got all 3 types (63, 66 & 66S) fitted to my Thunderbird's and they have a great vintage sound.

I've also got Mojo & Mike Lulls fitted and they're good but I find they sound a bit more modern to my ears. 

I'm not keen on the EY pickups, they seem to lack something.

The Epiphone Vintage Pro are a good option if you can get them. I've managed to pick up a couple of sets from eBay but they don't seem to come up very often