Left leaderboard
gareth

Gig Fees

What was your 2019 average gig fee  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What was your 2019 average gig fee?

• Over £100
    • £80 to £100
    • £60 to £80
    • £40 to £60
    • Less than £40

Ok thinking about the gigs you have done this year what was your average gig fee - that’s just you - per man - per capita - not the whole band 

Edited by gareth

Voted (£0 is 'Less than £40, no..?). The two dates we played in 2019 received 300€ in the hats that were passed around, but that was : 1 - Unsolicited, and 2 - A surprise.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, gareth said:

Ok thinking about the gigs you have done this year what was your average gig fee

Do mean per band or your individual fee once the gig fee is divided up?

28 minutes ago, steantval said:

Do mean per band or your individual fee once the gig fee is divided up?

Given those numbers, that has to be per man.

I do it for the craic.  A few shekels for my fuel and few lemonades is all I desire.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 2

Would be good to get some historical perspective on these figures and filter them by the type of gig eg pub gig, corporate, wedding etc. 

I'm under the impression that pubs are not paying what they used to although I'm not certain of this. I've not played more than a handful of functions, some many years ago, and I've been in different sized bands each time so the dosh would have varied. 

During 2019 , least money £50, mostly £70, often £100, best £250.  But it's a hobby that gives me pocket money and massive enjoyment, so playing about 45 gigs a year is fine for me.

(Two more gigs to go this year.  One at £70, one at £100.)

Frank.

For me, it was all pub gigs with a couple of functions thrown in. Three of us, averaging £250 a gig which works out at just over £80 a go. 

I’ve no idea of what we get paid, it all goes straight into the bands accounts. I’m sure that being an originals band we don’t get paid that much, but I do see how much merch we sell, which is pretty decent.

• Like 1

All pub gigs, fee split either 4 or 5 ways, I got between £50 and £75 per gig. Last night I got £48 for some reason.

Rarely been paid for gigs in the UK.  There's just this thing where the promoters of these sh*tholes I played in the past are beating away bands with big sticks; the prestige of playing their sh*tholes was clearly enough in itself.  I think it was after a 200 mile roundtrip where the venue owner actually charged us for two lollies that seeded the thought that I'd actually had enough of this malarky.

Interestingly, I did some shows in Milan and Turin about three years ago; little clubs, punk shows, where the venue owner was literally pushing money into my hand as we were leaving (which I dutifully passed on to our singer and never saw again!).

• Like 1

My average comes out at over £100 per gig, but I only played a dozen in 2019, and that doesn't include expenses in getting to the gigs and rehearsals. Probably brings my average down to under £50 per gig if these are factored in.

Edited by FinnDave

Depends. If I play functions, it's always £100 plus. That's the musical equivalent of working on a production line - you need skilled, versatile people to do it, but as the work is not particularly enjoyable, the fee has to make it worth their while. If it's fun stuff that I like and those listening may not care for (or even turn up to hear), then the pay (if there is any) is a lot lower. As money is not the primary motivation on those occasions , that's OK with me.

Probably my best year for payment per gig but that doesn't show half the story. Some of those gigs were stupidly hard work and took up to 12 hours including travel (got home from one at 3am and had to be in work at 9 the same morning). There were also far fewer gigs, so that put the average up. Now left that band, so next year will be completely different.

16 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Depends. If I play functions, it's always £100 plus. That's the musical equivalent of working on a production line - you need skilled, versatile people to do it, but as the work is not particularly enjoyable, the fee has to make it worth their while. If it's fun stuff that I like and those listening may not care for (or even turn up to hear), then the pay (if there is any) is a lot lower. As money is not the primary motivation on those occasions , that's OK with me.

Still working on getting a nice balance of the two. Probably a pipe dream, but there's always hope!

We are a 4 piece with a sound man and play 50s and 60s Rock 'n' Roll in pubs and clubs. Pubs will pay us between £300 - £350 and clubs are between £400 - £500. 

4 piece 80s covers around the North West.

Got between £200 -£250 for pub gigs 10 years ago. Now getting more like £250 - £300.

We only gig once a month so can cherry pick the places we like to play, it's a nice situation to be in.

This year £0 - nada! My first year without any gigs since 1983. No success with applying for bands and haven't even managed a dep gig - but do have a couple lined up for next year

Prior to that the last few years has averaged £40-£50 per gig for 5 piece bands. Was getting £30-£40 in the early 90s so yes, the rate has dropped significantly.

Depends which band.  Bon Jovi tribute we get anything between £100-200 each depending upon the venue although one double header bill I ended up with £60.  Blues rock trio we get between £50-80 again depending on the venue.  My old pub band we used to get £50-80.

When I'm playing with the band, I rarely take any money. Recording costs are high and I have a modestly good job, so I don't really need it.

8 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Still working on getting a nice balance of the two. Probably a pipe dream, but there's always hope!

Not easy. Can be done, but you need to be not relying on music to put food on the table. With the exception of a few brief periods, I've always kept some sort of day job - sometimes part time - over the last 45 years.

I used to get 80 a gig a few years ago, but now it is 75. But that might be more because I was in a 3 piece, and now I am in a 4 piece.

I should start playing in trios... playing in 7-9 pieces hugely dents my fee :D