Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce teaches Rory Gallagher the riff as they go on stage

prowla

Funnily enough, I found this clip a couple of weeks ago and sent it to the rest of the band... just so they could bask in the sheer awesomeness of the performance.

For a brief moment it made me regret selling my Warwick Thumb... but it never made me play like Jack...

Looks like Rory in his early forties when he was the worse for drink most of the time. He still nails the improv lead work tho.

Saw him live back in 73ish at Birmingham Town Hall. Huge energy on stage and a fantastic player. I was gutted when he passed. Deuce is still one of my favourite albums.

Edited by ricksterphil
  • Like 1

My preferred Jack Bruce tone, him on the fretless Warwick Thumb. Had one too just because of Jack Bruce sound with it. Always loved the way he was playing, one of my influences on fretless with the two other great bass players from UK : Mick Karn and Percy Jones. Rory Gallagher was also great at improvising and he prooved it that night. Even if he doesn't really got the riff he made his thing clearly stuck to the tune.

Two great musicians, sadly gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Bruce was an early influence on me and his sound on Cozy Powell's 'Over The Top' has been the one I have heard and sought ever since. What is absolutely lovely for me personally is the fact that I occasionally get to play with the drummer in the OP's video, Brendan O'Neill. 

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 3

I was born in the same town as Rory, Ballyshannon on the border of southern and Northern Ireland. I for some reason feel this has rubbed off on my playing (it really hasn't ) The local hospital is called the 'Rock Hospital ' clearly because of me and not Rory. what a Player !!

FYI there a festival held there every year. 

https://www.rorygallagherfestival.com

• Like 1

An interesting thing came up when I Googled 'Rory Gallagher Taste', namely a video interview with Brian May about Rory G.  Hadn't realised that BM was a big RG fan, went to see him play whenever he could, regularly went up to the stage for a chat while Rory was packing his gear up (which he always did himself, apparently), asked him how he got his sound, and then used the same set-up and playing techniques himself.  This even included a conscious decision to follow the modest Irishman's example of never "acting like an donkey" when approached by interested fans.  Haven't posted a link here as the video is frankly a bit tedious, thanks to the interviewer trying to milk the subject for more than it was worth.  What is quite obvious is that BM is deeply impressed by both the playing and the man: a fabulous player and true gentleman, who never got the recognition he deserved.  It was also nice to hear that Brian went out of his way to tell Rory these things before his untimely death.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the time I received a phone call to play a last minute gig the following day because the headline band had dropped out leaving everyone in the lurch.

“Yes!” I said, “What band am I playing with?”

“Oh, there isn’t a band as such. We’re putting a band together right now...”

By the time the band members had been confirmed we had just 8 hours to perfect the headline gig, including the 1 hour journey to the show itself!!! 

It was brilliant flying by the seat of our pants and the audience loved it because they all knew what had happened.

We called the band, “The Last Minute.”

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

An interesting thing came up when I Googled 'Rory Gallagher Taste', namely a video interview with Brian May about Rory G.  Hadn't realised that BM was a big RG fan, went to see him play whenever he could, regularly went up to the stage for a chat while Rory was packing his gear up (which he always did himself, apparently), asked him how he got his sound, and then used the same set-up and playing techniques himself.  This even included a conscious decision to follow the modest Irishman's example of never "acting like an donkey" when approached by interested fans.  Haven't posted a link here as the video is frankly a bit tedious, thanks to the interviewer trying to milk the subject for more than it was worth.  What is quite obvious is that BM is deeply impressed by both the playing and the man: a fabulous player and true gentleman, who never got the recognition he deserved.  It was also nice to hear that Brian went out of his way to tell Rory these things before his untimely death.

Johnny Marr’s a huge fan too. Also, when Hendrix was once asked what it was like being the best guitarist in the world, he supposedly said “I don’t know, ask Rory Gallagher”.

Met Rory and the band once at a motorway service station with my family. I was about 18 I guess. My mum said to me “who is Rory Gallagher? There’s a guy over there with a Rory Gallagher t shirt on”. Turned round and there was the band. Bit of a jaw drop moment as he was one of the first people I got into when thinking of learning guitar (prior to ending up on bass). I went over and asked if I could possibly have his autograph. He was lovely, no airs at all. Went to see him that night in Manchester. Still have the autograph; thought Id lost it years ago who but it happily turned up last year. Shame we haven’t still got Rory. Legend.

• Like 2