Why become a member? ×

NBD Harley Benton RB-414

stewblack

IMG_20191224_114029.thumb.jpg.4d84bf84c5b7d8c7242687507520c76f.jpg

This has been the subject of much discussion over on another thread so I thought I'd do a straight up review here and keep the controversy over there. 

Firstly another win for Thomann. Ordered on a whim last week and it arrived Christmas eve - given all the chaos in the postal system this time of year I was very impressed. 

Why a Harley? Well, I bought a HB Jazz  from @yorks5stringer at last years SW Bash. It was inexpensive, I was considering a Jazz anyway, so this seemed a good way to suck and see.

I was amazed by how good it was - and still is. Great sound, solid build quality, I couldn't believe the quality in fact. I have subsequently bought 'proper' Jazzes but at heart I guess I'm mainly a P-Bass kind of guy. Interestingly, while the HB is still with me, the more illustrious instruments have long since gone. 

So I know from real life experience these are serious instruments and not starter basses or toys. The jazz is also heavy and very good in close combat when playing rougher pubs. 

I loved the look of this bass, immediately. I knew I wanted it. It had a whiff of Rickenbacker about it but was definitely not a copy, it just appealed to me. The cherry burst is lovely. 

I searched for a fault, any flaw when it arrived and found only one. For some bizzare reason there is one Allen bolt in the bridge requiring a different size key from the others. Mildly irritating but not an issue. 

The action goes crazy low, I had actually to raise it up a little. This I accomplished with ease. It came strung with bright, light, rounds a little zingy for my taste but perfectly playable. 

The pick ups deliver a nice warm punch at the neck and a clean but not weak sound at the bridge. 

I don't know about you but what makes or breaks a bass for me is the neck and the balance. Can't stand neck dive and I love a really playable neck. Don't care if its slim or chunky just has to work for me. This is brilliant on both counts. Slim and fast, I gigged it today and it was like I'd been playing it all my life. So comfortable, so nicely balanced too. 

Band mates loved it, musicians in the audience loved it and I loved it. I hear the intonation is awkward to set on these. Can't comment as the intonation was perfect when it arrived. Tuners are firm, responsive and stayed in tune all day. Tone Controls responded well (I use my tone and volume a fair bit live).The bass is surprisingly small, here it is up against a CB

15773913651633549561563978264454.thumb.jpg.cf0181d5ef9b767158792157055b5352.jpg

Which is weedy and poorly made by comparison (but it looks great). I am so happy with this, always a gamble to buy without trying but this is going to see some work, no question. 

IMG_20191226_193756.thumb.jpg.870c3c986d1836b63425acb6ebd14fb7.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Thanks for this. Is it really a semi?

Yes I was quite excited to hear the soundclips too, not sure I've got a se..................... oh I see, sorry my misunderstanding 😊

I am actually intrigued as to the construction as well, it sounds great 👍

• 10 months later...

After ordering the HB "Chickenbacker"in August mine arrived to my home in the States yesterday.For the money it's hard to complain, with shipping it came in at $280usd.Out of the box it was just about in tune with the set up and action very playable.The finish is very nice and while it isn't a exact copy to a Ric soundwise it has a unique sound of its own,very usable.At my age and as an owner of 19 basses a genuine Ric doesn't make sense so this will do just fine.To anyone wanting that Rickenbacker vibe without a couple of grand to spare, don't be afraid to grab the HB rb-414 cb.If you can get one as they seem to sell out quickly.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I ordered mine in October '20. They were out of stock. The new order arived at Thoman in late December.  Mine was shipped to Benicia, CA, USA on December 24 and I received it December 29.  I'm kind of a newby, I started in '66 and I was totally amazed by this bass. It looks great, has a great neck and sounds great.  The only thing I found wrong with it is the bridge pieces. I don't care whether it looks similar to that other brand, I just want it to be sturdy.  When I began to change strings, 3 of the bridge pieces fell on the floor before I realized it.  What would happen if you were playing a gig and broke a string?  The bridge piece would fall out and under the drum set before you were even aware ... what then?   You are out of business!   I put another bridge on and had a solid bridge with strings through as well for $30.   Now it's incredible!

• Like 2