Why become a member? ×

NBD: Retrovibe LP w Rick-style pups

foxyFuze

Hi all,

Bit of an impulse purchase (damn you, Facebook advertising!).  Received the other day:  Retrovibe LP with their own Rick-style Hi-Gain pickups.
I've never owned a Rick so I have nothing to compare it to, but I fancied something a bit different!

First impressions: light, comfortable to sit and play with and the finish is great. There are no blemishes that I can spot and it has a straight neck and no issue with the frets.  I'll probably do my own edge rolling but that's just me. It's a broad, chunky neck so not for those who prefer the Jazz configuration.

I did a VERY rough and ready clip through Helix Native to give an idea of sound; yet to put it through my amp. I'd put more effort in but I'm off to the pub now 🙂

Does it sound just like a Rick? I dare say not. Does it go at least some of the way there and give me a lightweight, travel-friendly option? Very much so.

IMG_20191226_184305.jpg

Edited by foxyFuze
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

An actual Frankenbass - classic.

I did an understated one from scratch.

DD7E5209-552F-4D58-AA40-16CD41903643.thumb.jpeg.c34dc10e3abd4c90ee61fda67abf695b.jpeg

I have a J (2nd right), though I bought it already made.

WQH8Nr4.jpg

Unfortunately, the Frankenbass body is a cheapie and I may have knackered it trying to make it fit the neck (which has bolts instead of screws).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 31/12/2019 at 13:18, prowla said:

Rickenstatus???

I've got a Rickenberger!

piEBDX6.jpg

That really makes me grin.  Like a small boy standing next to his dad in the bathroom pretending to shave along with him. 😁

• Haha 2