Why become a member? ×

Spector Basses: are tattoos and/or long hair prerequisites for playing them?

Old Horse Murphy

13 hours ago, White Cloud said:

Spectors are one of the iconic bass designs: Completely ergonomic, tactile, beautiful and incredibly well made. They are fantastic basses that play, and sound like a dream. The necks are also very stable and reliable (I've had very expensive, luthier built necks disregard this, my golden rule) 

The Euro series are, for me one of the best buys for a production bass... still not cheap however, in essence you're getting a US NS at what is in relative terms a bargain price.

I appreciate I'm biased - but @White Cloud's comments sum things up perfectly for me. Gratuitous Euro 5LX pic of one I was fortunate to get my hands on a few months's back:

Spector Euro 5LX A8.png

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

On 27/12/2019 at 11:08, AndyTravis said:

Good stuff. I must have missed in on my other account...🤨

I always thought that was his worst sound, to be honest.

I had a Euro 5, briefly. Unfortunately I didn’t get on with it. Have tried many other 4s and 5s before and since, but never got on with any of them, although I appreciate the aesthetic. Always got on far better with Warwicks (well, earlier ones). I find the necks on Spectors, (arguably DW aside, although that still has too-wide spacing )far too big for me. 

Edited by 4000

Bought my US 5 string Spector XL in 2000. Bass was built in 1999. Serial number 018!  Nickleback was not on my radar and all I knew was it was the most playable, expressive neck I'd ever touched. Felt right with everything; rock, jazz, funk. But recently I've had shoulder problems and decided to get a lighter guitar for practice. Bought a fender pj. Which has got me thinking about tone. The Spector has a very sexy growl but the fender has a tone that's been grafted to a million records over the decades and just sounds right by default. There seems to have been a conversation going on in the bass fraternity for some time about the precision being the holy trail in the recording studio. I'd use the Spector anywhere but if a producer wanted a precision and I wanted a paycheck I wouldn't think twice about dropping the Spector.

I can't speak highly enough of Spectors but it always bugged me that they are seen as 'metally' basses and Spector's own promo seems to play up to this. It does them a great disservice as they are superb basses for any genre. I used a Euro Se5 (Synchronicity special edition) in a funk band for some time and it sounded utterly phenomenal.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

I agree, Spector basses are better for far more than pumping eighths in minor keys. I suppose that kind of chugging rock and metal sells to the masses and it must be an easy marketing angle to align their instruments with that genre.

Their basses do have a much greater depth of ability than their marketing suggests. That said, I can't see how to turn it around, getting some really good endorsers from other genres would probably be an uphill struggle at this point.

I loved my Euro 5LX and will have a 4 string at some point. I loved how rich and clear the tone was.

Well, this is the Bass that started the thread. It looks to be an unbelievably good price and looks amazing. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px191208352239001--spector-euro-lx-bass-natural-finish-pre-owned

Unfortunately the small body with 24 frets was just a bit too kinky for me and instead I pulled the trigger on a Fender Original 60's P Bass (after a tinker possibly one of the best P Basses I've owned but more on that later). 

2020 is due to be a dry year for me gear-wise so I'll have to sit and wonder "what if about my the Spector....

9 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well, this is the Bass that started the thread. It looks to be an unbelievably good price and looks amazing. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px191208352239001--spector-euro-lx-bass-natural-finish-pre-owned

Unfortunately the small body with 24 frets was just a bit too kinky for me and instead I pulled the trigger on a Fender Original 60's P Bass (after a tinker possibly one of the best P Basses I've owned but more on that later). 

2020 is due to be a dry year for me gear-wise so I'll have to sit and wonder "what if about my the Spector....

I like that...must not press the finance button 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Honestly in all my years with Spector I have never seen a flamed alder back like that. For the first sight I mistook it for a full maple winged pre-LX Euro because of the flamed back  but after seeing the serial number plus the pics it was obvious it is not.  

Anyway, this is one of the most beautiful Euro 4LX I've ever seen, really. And the price is more than fair. 

On 27/12/2019 at 22:52, Al Krow said:

I appreciate I'm biased - but @White Cloud's comments sum things up perfectly for me. Gratuitous Euro 5LX pic of one I was fortunate to get my hands on a few months's back:

Spector Euro 5LX A8.png

Well, they have much nicer headstocks than the usual Spector, and look ok, but the Spector I had didn't impress me so seems unlikely that I will get to try a better one to like it. I guess that is the problem with any non standard make, if it isn't a fender or clone you are never going to see one in a shop

21 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Honestly in all my years with Spector I have never seen a flamed alder back like that. For the first sight I mistook it for a full maple winged pre-LX Euro because of the flamed back  but after seeing the serial number plus the pics it was obvious it is not.  

Anyway, this is one of the most beautiful Euro 4LX I've ever seen, really. And the price is more than fair. 

I saw this too and enquired about it....it's now sold.  It did look the biz though, I'm sure the new will be very happy.  I curious though, because it didn't have the usual 9v battery box on the back...The description said it was active but I've not seen a Euro without a battery box so I wasn't sure what was going there...still a lovely bass nonetheless.

4 hours ago, Urban Bassman said:

I saw this too and enquired about it....it's now sold.  It did look the biz though, I'm sure the new will be very happy.  I curious though, because it didn't have the usual 9v battery box on the back...The description said it was active but I've not seen a Euro without a battery box so I wasn't sure what was going there...still a lovely bass nonetheless.

The separate battery box have only been added a few years ago to the Czech line, in '14 or '15 IIRC. Before that every Euros (or NS-CRs before 1999) had the battery inside the main cavity in the back together with the electronics. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

The separate battery box have only been added a few years ago to the Czech line, in '14 or '15 IIRC. Before that every Euros (or NS-CRs before 1999) had the battery inside the main cavity in the back together with the electronics. 

Everyday is a school day. 

Good to know. 😊

19 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Yes, mine are Korean-built and bear a little sticker on the control cavity cover stating that the battery is inside.

That'll teach me to buy cheap basses, huh? 9_9