Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

I've rolled up my sleeves and am attempting Joy Joy by Kinga Glyk, at least to see how far I can get.

I could already do the chorus (just a penatonic pattern), but I've learned the funk intro and am almost half way* there on the first break. Impressions are bloody hell it's hard to play it fast and clear, but it's amazing how fast you improve if you do ten minutes every so often and then take a break.

If nothing else I'll have some real chops to show up the slap-meisters in the music shops 🙂

I bailed from Pulling teeth, for now it's just too unmusical, it doesn't go anywhere it's just a series of exercises >ducks<

Edited by Stub Mandrel
*I turned over the page..

I've finally got round to learning Africa by Toto, not especially challenging, just been on my list for a while but never had a reason to do so.

What is a lot more challenging is Prancer by The Dillinger Escape Plan, I'm determined to have it right by the end of the Easter weekend

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m working on getting my timing spot on, on this one 

I always find it difficult to get the correct feel for Reggae. I listen to the songs and here what is basically a simple bass line to play but its getting the feel just right that makes the songs. 

Played with a band doing I Shot the Sheriff and i really had to work a lot more on that song than any other in their set list of blues / rock based songs. 

All credit to people that can play it so easily.

I do come from a background of rock / prog so that's my excuse :D

Dave

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I always find it difficult to get the correct feel for Reggae. I listen to the songs and here what is basically a simple bass line to play but its getting the feel just right that makes the songs. 

Played with a band doing I Shot the Sheriff and i really had to work a lot more on that song than any other in their set list of blues / rock based songs. 

Dave

I’ve only ever really played reggae Dave, so I guess I have a feel for it the same as you have for rock and prog , as you say that tune is  not technically difficult , it’s just keeping the timing and it changes part way through at 1.38 ,     this girl from France I’ve spoke to a few times has a nice feel for reggae , this is her cover of that song 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Funnily enough i am in the same boat on this one. Currently working through a few songs from George Benson style Jazz to unknown Pop Punk and they are pretty much there, I just cannot nail the "feeling" of I Shot the Sheriff. All the notes are there and in the right places but it still sounds like the audience and/or me will need a ton of ganja to make it sound "real"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Funnily enough i am in the same boat on this one. Currently working through a few songs from George Benson style Jazz to unknown Pop Punk and they are pretty much there, I just cannot nail the "feeling" of I Shot the Sheriff. All the notes are there and in the right places but it still sounds like the audience and/or me will need a ton of ganja to make it sound "real"

Eventually i managed to persuade the band to play the Eric Clapton live version that i found a bit easier to get a feel of.

• Like 2

I've managed to dig my bass out this morning after over a year's inactivity and tried to busy myself with Maniac by Michael Sembello.

A simple a line as you'll play in terms of the fretting hand but my left hand ran out of steam pretty quickly trying to get the speed right. Feel like it's about to drop off now 😂

1 hour ago, Bobthedog said:

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Eventually i managed to persuade the band to play the Eric Clapton live version that i found a bit easier to get a feel of.

Alright, fellas 👍

You've probably heard it, but I found the 'Live at the Rainbow' version nicer / less structured / easier to jam along with:

I found the studio version bassline quite demanding, and more complex than it seems at first... with a few subtle ways to play it slightly wrong (as many youtubers do 😗).

(Although obviously @Reggaebass is far more qualified to comment than me 👍)

Or you just give up and play it like Clapton! 😃

Edited by Ricky 4000
Modesty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Alright, fellas 👍

You've probably heard it, but I found the 'Live at the Rainbow' version nicer / less structured / easier to jam along with:

I found the studio version bassline quite demanding, and more complex than it seems at first... with a few subtle ways to play it slightly wrong (as many youtubers do 😗).

(Although obviously @Reggaebass is far more qualified to comment than me 👍)

Or you just give up and play it like Clapton! 😃

That's a nice bass line but coming from a more rock based background i just prefer the Clapton version. Clapton is probably as far Reggae as i would normally go. Reggae isn't a style of music i would normally listen to or play for that matter.

That's exactly the kind of Reggae bass line i find hard to get the feel right. Its not about the notes its pure feel and i don't have it :facepalm:

Afraid its the easy way out for me :laugh1: 

• Like 2

Working on three at the moment, purely to get into the habit of learning parts and to improve my chops. Added to the Narada Michael Warden track I posted earlier, I'm also working on Too Hard to Handle - Duck Dunn original - can finally remember it between session (did put up a lack of memory thread, as this has been a big issue for me), and Gil Scot Heron's The Bottle. Need to add another two tomorrow to start really building up my knowledge base!

Edited by Mykesbass

This was me doing a first gig with this band and using a brand new Precision Deluxe that only arrived that day so no set up time at all. (that was a brave move for me) Was using someone else's Hartke L5000 into two 15" cabs mainly because he lived near the venue and was doing a support for us. Unfortunately their drummer was right handed and ours was left handed so 2 drum kits on stage taking up lot of room on stage. No sound check for me cause i lived a fair bit away so turn up and play. The other bass player did a sound check with the band in the afternoon before i got there. I can usually adapt to get a decent sound from most rigs but it was thru PA anyways.

You can hear i just couldn't really get the hang of that reggae beat and was after this gig i persuaded them to do a more Clapton version. Think this was 2017

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Fair dos to ya, Dave. 👍

Nowt wrong with EC in my book. He also did a good job of this Ray Charles song (IMHO), with Nathan East on the bass:

😎

Would never have guessed that was Clapton singing to be honest but i'm not a Clapton fan. I appreciate his ability etc but doesn't do much for me. Wife has the 4 CD special edition collection but i just can't listen to a disc all the way thru. He kinda bores me. He's had some excellent songs i like but not albums for me.

Its a good version altho i don't know the original so that's a daft thing to say. :facepalm:

This is a wee bit too bluesy for me. (Mind i'm from a rock background.) Cream would be more appropriate for me. :D

Dave

12 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Fair dos to ya, Dave. 👍

Nowt wrong with EC in my book. He also did a good job of this Ray Charles song (IMHO), with Nathan East on the bass:

You want a good job on Ray Charles do you know the John Mayer Trio album with Pino and Steve Jordan? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Yeah I prefer this version Ricky , it I’ve only played it a few times myself and that was many years ago , I think I got the basic riddim and made the rest up at the time 😄

• Haha 1

I Shot the Sheriff is one of the tracks we cover in my band and i don't try to make it sound like any individual version. i take parts from each of the versions i know and merge it into the way i want to play it. It still sounds like the the song should sound. Here is a snippet of how i do it which in this part of the song is closer to the Burnin the wailers version 

13 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah I prefer this version Ricky , it I’ve only played it a few times myself and that was many years ago , I think I got the basic riddim and made the rest up at the time 😄

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I Shot the Sheriff is one of the tracks we cover in my band and i don't try to make it sound like any individual version. i take parts from each of the versions i know and merge it into the way i want to play it. It still sounds like the the song should sound. Here is a snippet of how i do it which in this part of the song is closer to the Burnin the wailers version 

I always love hearing your playing Delano. :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 2