Jump to content
odysseus

What song are you learning?

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, a bit better. Still not a favourite but it is better.

Maybe it is just style related, as this sounds fine:

 

Looks like he has the stock PUP fitted for that one too... after reading his comments, it seems the sound you didn't like on 'Josie' was when he converted the 4003s to a 4000 and fitted a 'boutique' PUP... which I don't think he liked himself much, either. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Middle Man by Living Colour.

I'm revisiting a few songs that I used to know twenty-odd years ago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bouree, Jethro Tull version.

I found a  reliable tab (I think it misses quite a few grace notes) but there's one bit I can't quite get the feel for that's just tabbed as rather odd slides where I may need to look at a video.

Other than that its mostly getting my head around the different variations and combinations.

Some time ago I recorded a bit from memory and no-one could guess what it was, turned out to be the flute solo where the bass goes quiet... if I can learn it and drop that into the gap, I've got a nice piece that stands up as a bass-only melody.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In an attempt to inspire myself to pick up a bass and start playing again after a long (very long) break, I set myself the rather ambitious target of learning Vlufpeck's Conscious Club, during lockdown...

First realisation - that after 8 years away, I definitely can't play at the level I used too! :$

Second realisation - OK, that's probably a bit too ambitious for a first track to tackle.

Settled on Frank Wilson's Do I Love You instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV_Bql7Pugw

Got all the parts together, just need to work on the consistency at full speed. Thankfully it's only 2.25...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I decided i need to learn some new songs, so learnt the whole of Weezers Teal album (or at least, the songs i didnt know) 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a shot at a bass guitar derivative of Giorgi Moroder's bassline for I Feel Love. Has to be very derivative as the original synth line is several layers (including drums) blending in to one another. Really just a workout to get a really nice steady repeating pattern going. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently learning all the parts for Get lucky. I want to do a lockdown video and the guitar is proving to be a real hurdle. I am following tutorials on YouTube and it just doesn't sound quite right. I will keep at it as I have lots of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still learning Bouree.

The differences are subtle, and a few bits require quite a developed technique to sound right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Still learning Bouree.

The differences are subtle, and a few bits require quite a developed technique to sound right.

Can't wait to hear it..seriously, I love me a bit of Tull

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The three I'm going for at the mo are songs I know I will struggle with, but hey, plenty of time indoors to practice at the moment!

1. Forget me knotts (I'm terrible at slap)

2. Wayward son (tricky changes)

3. Sir Duke (the fast horn section is tough for me)

I will probably fail miserably on 1 & 3 see how we go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m learning to live 24 hours a day with the GF. Believe me, its harder than any of the songs mentioned here 😂😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuck on this bit.

I have no idea why, it's not the hardest rhythmically or fingering wise but it just won't go in!

 

[Transition to solo] (1:34)

G|-----7-----------------------|

D|-------7-5---------5---------|

A|-5-5-------7-5---7-----5-8-5-|

E|---------------8-----8-------|

 

G|-----------------------------|

D|-----5-------7---7-5---------|

A|---7-----5-8---5-----7-5-5-8-|

E|-8-----8---------------------|

 

G|-----------------------------|

D|-------7-5---------5---------|

A|-5-8-5-----7-5---7-----5-8-5-|

E|---------------8-----8-------|

 

G|-------------------------------|

D|-----5-------7---7-5-----------|

A|---7-----5-8---5-----7-5-5-8-5-|

E|-8-----8-----------------------|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a bit slap heavy in recent years and am now focusing more on fingerstyle funk. Over the last few weeks I've been refining several Jamiroquai lines including Too Young to Die, Virtual Insanity, Travelling Without Moving, Runaway and You Give Me Something. Since then I've moved onto Mark Smith's lesson viz Vulfpeck's Dean Town. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I've been a bit slap heavy in recent years and am now focusing more on fingerstyle funk. Over the last few weeks I've been refining several Jamiroquai lines including Too Young to Die, Virtual Insanity, Travelling Without Moving, Runaway and You Give Me Something. Since then I've moved onto Mark Smith's lesson viz Vulfpeck's Dean Town. 

We all move on from slappers mate :laugh1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oops 😵

 

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ain't that peculiar - Marvin Gaye

It's not that hard to play but being on time, that is the hard part on me. I'm still learning to be as regular as possible with the timing and this song is helping me a lot with those off beat notes!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna give this a shot this week now that i've just received the CD and the music downloaded from @Bilbo 

Its more of an exercise for me to improve my technique. Not sure i'll manage to play it as fast or as well as Jeff Berlin tho. Can usually manage the speed but lack the stamina to keep up the quadruplets for any length of time. That's the exercise part for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gonna give this a shot this week now that i've just received the CD and the music downloaded from @Bilbo 

Its more of an exercise for me to improve my technique. Not sure i'll manage to play it as fast or as well as Jeff Berlin tho. Can usually manage the speed but lack the stamina to keep up the quadruplets for any length of time. That's the exercise part for me.

 

There are about four tunes from this CD on my archive page, Palewell Park, Joe Frazier, The Sliding Floor and Gothic 17. I am half way through Land's End and Q. E. D. but they are quite difficult due to internal voicings in choral movements which test me considerably. I have an ambition to write out the bass parts for all three Bruford LPs out because I couldn't do it when I was a learner. That and Cozy Powell's Over the Top. 😁 I am about half way through the exercise. 

 

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

There are about four tunes from this CD on my archive page, Palewell Park, Joe Frazier, The Sliding Floor and Gothic 17. I am half way through Land's End and Q. E. D. but they are quite difficult due to internal voicings in choral movements which test me considerably. I have an ambition to write out the bass parts for all three Bruford LPs out because I couldn't do it when I was a learner. That and Cozy Powell's Over the Top. 😁 I am about half way through the exercise. 

 

I'm going to download all the Bruford ones and have a go.

Over the Top album would be fantastic. Was hugely influenced by Jack Bruce and that particular album was what really got me into his style. Up to that point i was mainly into Rock & Prog bass like Deep Purple, Genesis and Floyd so nothing very complicated. Over the Top was a turning point for me in bass. From there i went into Camel (Richard Sinclair) and Brand X finally Bruford after a few others in between.

Really look  forward to Over the Top songs.

Thanks again for all the effort and hard work @Bilbo Its very much appreciated by me.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spotted this thread after posting in the what are you listening to thread:

Learning Senses Working Overtime by XTC for some kind of remote collaboration with my label boss in California. No idea what it's for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...