Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm Torn Down is not renowned as a tricky song... it's just a twelve bar right?

But this version is something of a challenge to play smoothly and keep it up 😰

Great stuff, love Freddie King. Even now still often overlooked, and a major influence on many players. 

I’m well jealous if you’re doing gigs playing stuff like this! Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, casapete said:

Great stuff, love Freddie King. Even now still often overlooked, and a major influence on many players. 

I’m well jealous if you’re doing gigs playing stuff like this! Thanks for posting.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm doing with my lot, too, and I absolutely love it.  I like the way it kind of falls between a cover and an original as for every song there is room to go somewhere within the structure.

Learning Hendrix's 'Stone Free' for Friday :) There's a Gary Moore 'Blues For Jimi' version with Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox that we are going to align with, except maybe we'll work out an ending :) 

• Like 2

Not something i'm currently learning but had this song to learn for a band a while back. Fantastic bass line. Really enjoyed doing this song. Just thought i'd share for anyone who likes a nice wee challenge.

The problem we had as a band was trying to gel it and keep the good timing.

Dave

I just learned Here I go again by Whitesnake and we did it in one go at the last jam night on Sunday and even though I was wary of singing it and playing without a couple more run-throughs, it went really well, except the guitarist probably hadn't listened to the version I posted for us all to listen to, so the end went for a carp.

I asked how he expected it to end and he came up with an ending that wasn't on the version I posted.
He also wants to sing it, which is a relief, as I find it embarrassing front pink torpedo-rock bilge like that. All his now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I just learned Here I go again by Whitesnake and we did it in one go at the last jam night on Sunday and even though I was wary of singing it and playing without a couple more run-throughs, it went really well, except the guitarist probably hadn't listened to the version I posted for us all to listen to, so the end went for a carp.

I asked how he expected it to end and he came up with an ending that wasn't on the version I posted.
He also wants to sing it, which is a relief, as I find it embarrassing front pink torpedo-rock bilge like that. All his now.

I hate when that happens. Even worse when you agree a particular version.

That's bands for you 😂

Dave

On 19/01/2022 at 08:18, casapete said:

I got it thrown at me for an encore, not having heard it before, on my second gig with the band...

We've put The Stumble in the set, also playing stuff like Gary Moore, John Mayall, Gary Clarke Jr, Michael Burkes, Erick Steckel, ZZ Top and a few classic tracks like Radar Love, Roadhouse Blues and Suzie Q. I'm in my element and the audience enjoy it almost as much as we do!

• Like 3

On 19/01/2022 at 08:38, Paul S said:

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm doing with my lot, too, and I absolutely love it.  I like the way it kind of falls between a cover and an original as for every song there is room to go somewhere within the structure.

Yes, some people look down on blues rock, but it gives you freedom to improvise and stretch things out on the fly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

For the other (i.e. non-blues) band we've agreed about seven new covers, mostly straightforward (With or Without You for goodness sake!) but this one is a cracker:

Did that for a band i was in last year for a short spell. Def great to play. Some nice wee fills by John McVie.

Dave

I'm trying to learn how to play slap style and having a terrible time. Like i cant play anything and it just isn't clicking for me. 

The end goal is to play music by one of my favourite bands - Primus. 

Fingerstyle , no problem. I've played guitar nearly 30 years and can find the note i'm after. Usually...

Slap remains elusive to my apparent lack of talent.

Still not giving up. One day i'll have it down.

Tommy the cat will be within my grasp.

Edited by Thump

Thanks , i'll add it to my watch later and have a go when nobody is around to witness things

Edit: Now watched... @Bunion I cannot thank you enough for this link, this just explains it better than any other i have seen and i have seen more than a few now. Thankyou!!!!!!

Edited by Thump
  • Like 1