Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

I'm three quarters of the way there with Evidence by Faith No More. Absolutely loving playing this one. 

Also just playing around with bits of dub and reggae to try to understand it. Really enjoying it.

Next up is Thunder Kiss 65 by White Zombie. Classic bit of 90's alt metal and a great bass line.

https://youtu.be/yPNFVj-pISU

Making good progress with White Zombies Thunderkiss 65 today. 

Really, really good bass line and really fu to play. 

I find it really helps my motivation when my bass sounds good so I spent some time tweaking my compressor and preamp and got it sounding really good which I'm sure helped my progress. 

8 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I have spent three evenings working through a transcription of Anthony Jackson's bass part to the version of 'Not Yet' off the Michel Camilo album 'Caribe'. I am still on page one. It's incredible. 

Fantastic album, and some truely masterful playing from the whole band.

On 23/12/2021 at 20:37, Grimalkin said:

Just over two minutes into it. I started it months back then left it, I learn note for note, I always have. Gets a little tricky to dissect aurally when the synths thicken up toward the end of it.

Love Pino's playing on this. A close 2nd is how much I love Alan Partridge's air bass playing to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She's Not There.

Not a shortcut, not an easy re write, but the brilliant, superb, full fat, double cholesteol original Chris White bassline.  It's just an incredible song. Looking forward to playing it live next gig.

Edited by Bassfinger
Lost my false teeth
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

She's Not There.

Not a shortcut, not an easy re write, but the brilliant, superb, full fat, double cholesteol original Chris White bassline.  It's just an incredible song. Looking forward to playing it live next gig.

I had no idea there was an original version of this. Always assumed it was Santana. Just listened to The ZOmbies version and its pretty impressive.

That late 60 era produced some great songs.

Amazing what you find out on BC.

Cheers for that.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I had no idea there was an original version of this. Always assumed it was Santana. Just listened to The ZOmbies version and its pretty impressive.

That late 60 era produced some great songs.

Amazing what you find out on BC.

Cheers for that.

Dave

Conversely I know the Zombies version well, but couldn't say if I've ever heard the Santana version. 

What do I know though? I like the UK Subs version. 

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 20:50, Crawford13 said:

Love Pino's playing on this. A close 2nd is how much I love Alan Partridge's air bass playing to it.

Lots of open string use for positions. The fill @ 0.59 can be played in one position, but he doesn't because it's harder to intonate and it doesn't flow the same. So it's, A @ 12th fret A string, its octave @ 14th fret G string, then open D to shift to 11th fret D string with ring finger string, 11th fret G string with pinky, 9th fret G string with index.

You have to get the right hand positions, that's a tricky bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Lots of open string use for positions. The fill @ 0.59 can be played in one position, but he doesn't because it's harder to intonate and it doesn't flow the same. So it's, A @ 12th fret A string, its octave @ 14th fret G string, then open D to shift to 11th fret D string with ring finger string, 11th fret G string with pinky, 9th fret G string with index.

You have to get the right hand positions, that's a tricky bit.

Pino or Partridge?,

😂

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

She's Not There.

Dang taht's a good one to learn.

I've been playing with The Super Natural by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.. which went on to become Black Magic Woman by Fleetwood Mac and again covered (well) by Santana.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am learning to learn better . . . .

Most recently, I am trying to play by ear.  Put on a track, and play along.  Last week, Let Your Yeah be Yeah by the Pioneers.  I was chuffed to get the chord changes, and the bassline too (although I lack the nuance and feel). 

I have also found my two notebooks and music folder.  In these, I list the songs I worked on for a each day, and each page has an entry for the songs themselves.

All this allows me to return to make notes about my shortcomings and learning needs for each song, and to return to my previous learning later than week. 

This stops repetitive noodling of the same half dozen favourites, and allows me to stretch my ability.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Not really learning but this song was on a good YouTube channel I was looking through, there’s lots of songs,  I enjoyed giving it a go 

Last summer during lockdown this is one of the songs I learned and recorded. Mrs Ubits brother did guitar but I never got around to doing the vocal and drums. I just had a basic beat to keep time. Great song.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

Last summer during lockdown this is one of the songs I learned and recorded. Mrs Ubits brother did guitar but I never got around to doing the vocal and drums. I just had a basic beat to keep time. Great song.

Yeah it’s got a good beat , that’s what I liked and it’s totally different to what I normally play 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 13:39, Reggaebass said:

Not really learning but this song was on a good YouTube channel I was looking through, there’s lots of songs,  I enjoyed giving it a go 

What a great way to present tabI had fun 'sight reading' it. No mishtakes,  honest 😉

• Like 1