Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The best thing you can do is learn, and practice, whole songs. Don't be afraid to go well outside your usual musical tastes, variety builds your skills. The song I've just learned (see above) has given me some new ideas .

I've already started learning songs I wouldn't listen to.... Love Cats etc...

I don't want to only be able to play punk stuff/ faster basic stuff. 

I'm really enjoying learning so far, I just wish I had more time. I manage around half an hour practice every night, sometimes a bit longer and get a couple of hours both days over the weekend.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am guessing it is that you don't need more than a single run through to be able to work that bass line out

Oh - I couldn’t find timr’s comment easily so didn’t quite get it - the live version has some more twiddly bits but fair enough comment 

Edited by Geek99

• 4 weeks later...

I've been learning a load of Bowie and a few Roxy Music tracks for the new band I've just joined, some of them have been pretty challenging. Just working on Stay by Bowie, love it. In fact I've developed a new found appreciation for Bowie, I've always liked a lot of his song's, (the hits) but once you break them down and work them out, I think I'm becoming a real fan. Love learning new material.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2021 at 14:40, Bilbo said:

Dean Town by Vulfpeck. Did a transcription (which is wrong) a while back and thought I would have a crack at it. 

I had a go at Dean Town a couple of years ago, I can play it, but not at full speed. Having a heavy set of Labella flats on my jazz probably doesn't help much.

I'm just learning R.A.M.O.N.E.S by Motorhead/ Ramones/  Wednesday 13.

Nothing for you guys on here but I'm just beginning to actually have a go at songs.

One id love to learn is Blood Makes Noise by Suzanne Vega but I can't find tabs for it anywhere and I'm nowhere near good enough to do it by ear. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peloquin said:

I'm just learning R.A.M.O.N.E.S by Motorhead/ Ramones/  Wednesday 13.

Nothing for you guys on here but I'm just beginning to actually have a go at songs.

One id love to learn is Blood Makes Noise by Suzanne Vega but I can't find tabs for it anywhere and I'm nowhere near good enough to do it by ear. 

After 40 yrs playing classic rock, Glam rock and prog rock i've also just joined a 70's punk band covering several Ramones songs and playing finger style i can admit to it being quite a challenge on the plucking hand doing a 2.5 hr set. 

I tried a pic but the Ramones bassist almost always plays only on the down stroke and that takes some stamina. I can play them normal pic style but just more comfortable with fingerstyle. I def will try and use a pic for some songs to give my fingers a bit of a rest.

Dave

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SteveH said:

I've been learning a load of Bowie and a few Roxy Music tracks for the new band I've just joined, some of them have been pretty challenging. Just working on Stay by Bowie, love it. In fact I've developed a new found appreciation for Bowie, I've always liked a lot of his song's, (the hits) but once you break them down and work them out, I think I'm becoming a real fan. Love learning new material.

Snap! I was the same as you and liked what I had heard from Bowie (a greatest hits cd), but have only just started listening to his back catalogue. I've been listening to nothing else but him for the past few weeks and Stay is one of my favourites, I've just started learning it to.

I've just finished Pump It Up by Elvis Costello, thought it'd be a gentler introduction than Watching the Detectives!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Snap! I was the same as you and liked what I had heard from Bowie (a greatest hits cd), but have only just started listening to his back catalogue. I've been listening to nothing else but him for the past few weeks and Stay is one of my favourites, I've just started learning it to.

I've just finished Pump It Up by Elvis Costello, thought it'd be a gentler introduction than Watching the Detectives!

The first track I had a go at was Space Oddity...... quite a daunting task, put the isolated bass and drums into Ableton with the original track sinked up to it , and tried to learn each verse, but gave up and now do a simplified version cos I realized I've got to do BVs. It's crazy all these years and I'm only just getting into Bowie properly. Stay has got a few real groovy basslines on the play out. And I'm loving some of those early Trevor Boulder and Visconti's chromatic basslines as well. Elvis Costello "pump it up", has got some superb bass playing on it There's not enough hours in the day to learn everything unfortunately. So far I've learnt about 27 songs in about a month done a gig 2 weeks ago and got another on Saturday. I'm working on the set  now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

After 40 yrs playing classic rock, Glam rock and prog rock i've also just joined a 70's punk band covering several Ramones songs and playing finger style i can admit to it being quite a challenge on the plucking hand doing a 2.5 hr set. 

I tried a pic but the Ramones bassist almost always plays only on the down stroke and that takes some stamina. I can play them normal pic style but just more comfortable with fingerstyle. I def will try and use a pic for some songs to give my fingers a bit of a rest.

Dave

I remember seeing an interview with CJ Ramone and he said that when he joined The Ramones  he had to sit with his arm in ice as it swelled up every night from playing.  

Johnny told him that DeeDee played with the bass slung low so that his wrist did all the work instead of his arm.  

He said it took some work till change his playing style but made it much easier. 

Last night I did a play along with Blitzkrieg Bop then straight into R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

It'd be fun trying to keep that up for 2 hours+.

Good luck with it. Great genre of music. 

We used to finish our set with a version of the Last of the Mohicans tune (The Gael) and it built from a slow start until it was a galloping bass line. Frequently I used to get cramp in my fingers during this after a whole night of playing,  so I started playing this tune with a pic. It stopped the cramps which would turn my hand into a useless claw! 

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1