Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just managed my first full play through of WMGGW

A couple of minor glitches, but should be OK now 🙂

If this isn't a really dumb question, did George play the original bass line to this?  It sort of looks/sounds like a guitarist's bass line rather than a Paul McCartney line

1 hour ago, Piers_Williamson said:

If this isn't a really dumb question, did George play the original bass line to this?  It sort of looks/sounds like a guitarist's bass line rather than a Paul McCartney line

Apparently Harrison wrote it, Paul played it on a jazz, then Harrison doubled it on a Fender VI and a ricky 12-string. Or not.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

McCartney did the bassline on the recording, but who wrotemit is anyone's guess.  In places there are 2 different basslines being played simultaneously, so it can be a bit of a bugger.

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

McCartney did the bassline on the recording, but who wrotemit is anyone's guess.  In places there are 2 different basslines being played simultaneously, so it can be a bit of a bugger.

I think that's all covered by the double stops which aren't too bad once you get your head around the inconsistencies.

Well I'm still very much a beginner but last week after my lesson  my instructor/teacher  asked me to learn 3 songs ready for this week.

The music I'm into it was never going to be anything technical but the 3i decided on (before actually beginning to learn them) were...

"Bullet" by The Misfits 

"Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down  and 

"Pumpkin Patch Murders" by Blitzkid.

Lesson is tonight so I'll see how good I've done later.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

Well I'm still very much a beginner but last week after my lesson  my instructor/teacher  asked me to learn 3 songs ready for this week.

The music I'm into it was never going to be anything technical but the 3i decided on (before actually beginning to learn them) were...

"Bullet" by The Misfits 

"Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down  and 

"Pumpkin Patch Murders" by Blitzkid.

Lesson is tonight so I'll see how good I've done later.

Sure you'll be fine. Put the work in and just enjoy it.

I dont know those songs so hard to comment on them and its for your lessons so i'm not gonna offer any help cause that would be cheating :laugh1:

All the best and let us know how you got on tonight.

Dave

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I dont know those songs so hard to comment on them and its for your lessons so i'm not gonna offer any help cause that would be cheating :laugh1:

Dave

Haha, I need a cheat sheet up my arm.

Cheers, I will do.

Go have a listen on YouTube... I'm sure you'll love them 😅😅😅

Edited by Peloquin

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Yeah, it went well. I was a bit off with my timing a couple of times in the faster ones and got a bit lost with Pumpkin Patch Murders but he seemed happy enough. I'm off work next week (first days off this year) so I'll be able to perfect them hopefully and get stuck into something else.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peloquin said:

Yeah, it went well. I was a bit off with my timing a couple of times in the faster ones and got a bit lost with Pumpkin Patch Murders but he seemed happy enough. I'm off work next week (first days off this year) so I'll be able to perfect them hopefully and get stuck into something else.

Well done and always remember its about enjoyment more than anything else. Let yourself enjoy the songs and the learning process.

Happy times ahead. 

My big regret is not continuing with my lessons and taking it to the next level. I went for around 18mths. On hindsight i think my teacher was a bit limited in his teaching abilities. He was primarily a guitar teacher and he was good at that but i dont think he understood bass.

David

• Like 1

I'm learning an old Stray song called 'Our Song' from the 'Saturday Morning Pictures' album. We've got our third show this year coming up at The Stables in MK in November. Del wants to put 'Our Song' in the set. It's a nice slow rocker with a bit of a country rock feel to it and quite straightforward. We're all a bit rusty so will be having the first of three rehearsals tomorrow. It'll give me a chance to get to know my Peavey VB-2 a bit better. Really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Peloquin said:

The best thing you can do is learn, and practice, whole songs. Don't be afraid to go well outside your usual musical tastes, variety builds your skills. The song I've just learned (see above) has given me some new ideas .