Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got a few days off and was playing around with different tones on my recent amp, and I ended up starting to learn this, I found it a bit trickier than it first sounds, it’s a great Bassline 

Jings i can remember dancing the night away to that in my late teens. Great band, great song. Love that tone.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Jings i can remember dancing the night away to that in my late teens. Great band, great song. Love that tone.

Dave

I tried by ear but there was a few little parts I couldn’t quite get so I found this video dave, and it was helpful 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I tried by ear but there was a few little parts I couldn’t quite get so I found this video dave, and it was helpful 

Watched quite a few of Stuarts VID clips. Pretty sure its him that does the two handed Simpson's theme song that is amazing.

That's how i tend to approach a difficult song. Play along with it to get a good feel for the song then work on each part and look for youtube clips if i think i'm missing somethig.

Think this is the song that is meant to be the inspiration for the Queen hit Another One Bites the Dust.

Dave

• Like 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Watched quite a few of Stuarts VID clips. Pretty sure its him that does the two handed Simpson's theme song that is amazing.

That's how i tend to approach a difficult song. Play along with it to get a good feel for the song then work on each part and look for youtube clips if i think i'm missing somethig.

Think this is the song that is meant to be the inspiration for the Queen hit Another One Bites the Dust.

Dave

Here its is. Try this one. 😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got a few days off and was playing around with different tones on my recent amp, and I ended up starting to learn this, I found it a bit trickier than it first sounds, it’s a great Bassline 

That bass sound...awesome 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

There's a bass tab on Ultimate Guitar here for you if it helps.

while my guitar gently weeps bass tab.pdf 658.74 kB · 0 downloads

Dave

Thanks, UG is my first point of call as it usually gives several versions, easy ones to learn the structure then more advanced ones to flesh it out.  That version is close to UG's official tab. There's a good tutorial here that has some differences but is really well-structured for learning. Getting there!

• Like 1

Simple stuff but having finally got far enough through the DIY that I’m getting some practice time after a mere four years of slog, with the basses living in a cupboard

I’m learning bullet the blue sky and in gods country from the Joshua tree album

Both have more variation than I had thought

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I've just learnt Aces High by Iron Maiden - real eye opener in terms of Harris' technique! There is one fill in the middle that's proving to be my Everest though 😕

His 3 finger plucking style can be hard to copy i found. No idea how he manages to keep that pace thru a 2-3 hr concert. Not really my kind of music but he's an outstanding player.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

His 3 finger plucking style can be hard to copy i found. No idea how he manages to keep that pace thru a 2-3 hr concert. Not really my kind of music but he's an outstanding player.

Dave

Indeed - for a lot of stuff he uses two fingers, which is even more mind boggling! A great player for sure, compounded by the fact he's the main songwriter, too.

I'm trying to get the hang of playing with a pick and am struggling along to "Uncle Walter" and "Theme from Dr.Pyser" by Ben Folds Five. Lots of fun, and very efficient as they allow me to make a mess not only of pick playing but also backing vocals and turning a fuzz box on and off at the same time.

Edited by mowf

2 minutes ago, mowf said:

I'm trying to get the hang of playing with a pick and am struggling along to "Uncle Walter" and "Theme from Dr.Pyser" by Ben Folds Five. Lots of fun, and very efficient as they allow me to make a mess not only of pick playing but also backing vocals and turning a fuzz box on and off at the same time.

Ooh interesting, I am also trying to improve my picking skills at the moment (having played finger style for years and years). A lot of Green Day stuff is a good starting point I've found, "Holiday" in particular is a nice combination of being not too tricky yet fun to play.