Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

I need to learn Into the Valley by the Skids. Luckily a mate bass player knows the song and told me the E string is detuned to D to play it.

I've given it a try and it sounds pretty good but will get back to that one as i work thru the bands set list.

He would detune his E string just for that one song and retune straight after it.

Another one i'm struggling a bit with and is such a simple wee song is Love Song by The Damned. Its not technically difficult but just odd changes for me.

I'd never heard the song before and the original official song the bass isn't eactly clear in the mix but found a good cover on youtube where the guy put up the bass tab on the bottom of the screen as he was playing it.

Dave

• Like 1

Im tackling SlugBug by Mark Lettieri. 

5 string bass + baritone guitar. 

For some reason I'm struggling with getting the main riff up to speed. It sounds super simple, but i keep tripping on the open b and cant keep the rhythm as clean as id like. 

Everything is relatively straightforward though. 

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I need to learn Into the Valley by the Skids. Luckily a mate bass player knows the song and told me the E string is detuned to D to play it.

I've given it a try and it sounds pretty good but will get back to that one as i work thru the bands set list.

He would detune his E string just for that one song and retune straight after it.

Another one i'm struggling a bit with and is such a simple wee song is Love Song by The Damned. Its not technically difficult but just odd changes for me.

I'd never heard the song before and the original official song the bass isn't eactly clear in the mix but found a good cover on youtube where the guy put up the bass tab on the bottom of the screen as he was playing it.

Dave

I must admit too being quite envious of you.  I was a punk as a teenager 40 odd years ago and got to see the Damned, the Ruts and probably many of the bands you are covering.  My covers band does 90s stuff, which I like but punk was my first love and it remains.

Couldn't stand the Skids though, saw them once as I liked their support band, but the pretentious tw*t sang 'Into the Valley' in French.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I must admit too being quite envious of you.  I was a punk as a teenager 40 odd years ago and got to see the Damned, the Ruts and probably many of the bands you are covering.  My covers band does 90s stuff, which I like but punk was my first love and it remains.

Couldn't stand the Skids though, saw them once as I liked their support band, but the pretentious tw*t sang 'Into the Valley' in French.

I was never into punk in 70's. I'm more rock / prog background as far as bands are concerned. Have to say the bands previous bass player who i know really well was like me and into Supertramp and similar bands in 70's but he said the band was just great fun and thoroughly enjoyed playing the songs.

And to be fair i'm really enjoying learning the songs. Some of the bass parts are far better than i ever imagined. Some talented punk musicians back then.

I can remember hearing Into the Valley done in French back in the day. 

The punk band get regular gigs altho not great money compared to 70's Glam covers band but more gigs. I'm happy to gig provided my costs are covered. 

Have a support gig to Skababs in October so that should be a fun night. That will be my first gig with the band.

Dave  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You're kidding surely, I could play WAY faster with a pick than flapping the sossidge fingers about !

19 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I don"t really like playing with a plectrum, but I can do it way faster. Physically my second finger cannot keep up with my first, and to play with a pick you are getting two notes for every one with a finger, so it is always going to be faster for me (talking on one string)

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm generally not a pick player and only restarted using one in past few weeks when I joined a punk covers band but I get severe finger cramp and pins and needles in my fingers after a while. To be fair I have 42 songs to learn in 3-4weeks and at it morn noon and evening. Took Mon off and hand back to normal. I hold the pick very lightly too.

I certainly find it easier fingerstyle, I tend to trill two or three fingers depending on whether it's fast triplets or 16ths.

Ace of Spades is a doddle with fingers, at my absolute limit with a plecccy!

• Like 2

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

I certainly find it easier fingerstyle, I tend to trill two or three fingers depending on whether it's fast triplets or 16ths.

Sane here,  played Ace of Spades fingerstyle in a rock covers band about 5 yrs ago and must admit i had no problems with it. Tried it with a pick but nope just couldn't get to grips with it at all.

Dave

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Suppose it depends what your 'background' is, ( and the kind of music you do) I started off in punk, then post punk, using a pick.... only occasionally using fingers for the odd thing here and there, so can do much more with a pick than without. Horses for courses I guess...

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, ubit said:

Definitely! Just look at the Clash or the Skids. Top musicians!

The live version of Complete Control by Clash has so much energy i would put it up there with my fav classic rock songs. We do Into The Valley by Skids too but i've never really seen them as a punk band. You can see where Big Country came from tho. Again a lot of energy in the songs.

I saw Big Country support Bowie at Sunderland football park many moons ago and Big Country was by far the better band that day. Powerful, energetic and great musicianship.

Dave  

• Like 1

On 25/08/2021 at 20:33, Stub Mandrel said:

How do you play the fast power chords without a pick? 

I play both styles (never slap) and couldn't imagine playing anything Motorhead without a pick.

21 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm learning Waiting Room by Fugazi. Brilliant song and all about the bass line.

It's only really one riff but it's quite fast and has to be played very cleanly, all imperfections in playing stick out a mile.

There are so many great bass lines in Fugazi tracks! 

My introduction to them was actually when the RHCP's did this song as an intro to something, can't remember what now though... 

• Like 2