Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

7 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I'm learning the Pink Panther theme.  It's the drummer's idea, he wants us to play this instead of sitting around whenever the guitarist breaks a string in rehearsal.

We used to play Walking On The Moon if the police came in and Eye Of The Tiger if a fight broke out.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I'm learning the Pink Panther theme.  It's the drummer's idea, he wants us to play this instead of sitting around whenever the guitarist breaks a string in rehearsal.

I find the old cartoon themes are great for meeting about. I'm still very new and basic at bass but I learned Pink Panther, Inspector Gadget and Roobarb and Custard. Great fun.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I looked at a few different tabs but realised I couldn't really use any of them.  There is a bass solo tab on YouTube which is useful but unless you use a looper it can't really be done on bass without compromises.  So I've been doing it by ear with help from the YouTube clip.

It is fun though!

Just joined a punk covers band and have 42 songs to learn for 5th Sept.

Was never a big punk fan and always thought the songs simple and basic but i'm coming across a few songs that are really quite nice bass lines.

Babylons Burning by Ruts and White Riot by Clash are 2 that stand out for me. The Ruts song has amazing little fills on the chorus and the Clash song verse has a great bass riff that is played quite fast. Took me a few goes to get that one right as i'm traditionally a fingerstyle player but learning how to use a plectrum again for this band. 

Oddly enough i can play it fairly easy with fingers but pick was hard work getting it right.

Dave

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Babylons Burning by Ruts and White Riot by Clash are 2 that stand out for me. The Ruts song has amazing little fills on the chorus and the Clash song verse has a great bass riff that is played quite fast.

I had to learn that one for an audition, there is a thread on here about the correct fill!

Oh yes, here:

3 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I looked at a few different tabs but realised I couldn't really use any of them.  There is a bass solo tab on YouTube which is useful but unless you use a looper it can't really be done on bass without compromises.  So I've been doing it by ear with help from the YouTube clip.

It is fun though!

Yes, I think that tab is simplified/has errors and of course it's a bastardisation of the bass and sax parts. But I guess what matters is that it's good enough people get the joke 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I had to learn that one for an audition, there is a thread on here about the correct fill!

Oh yes, here:

Just read that thread and i think i've got it mostly right but came across this version and its easy to follow and makes sense how he does it plus great playing from the guy.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2021 at 13:53, Mickyk said:

When I  first picked up a Bass back in 83  I promised my self that I would learn Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke, well after a 35 years abstinence ,I was still promising   myself I would learn Sir Duke, and so after 3 or 4 years  I still haven't managed to learn Sir Duke.? any tips anyone. 

Hate to state the obvious but how bout get the tune onto ur phone and learn it in bite size chunks...must've wore my old tape player out back in the day learning sets for new bands.

Anyway its a great changing bass part, interesting to play start slow and dont worry about soaring up the neck on the middle section keep the run up  mid neck and it'll still sound great.

34 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Hate to state the obvious but how bout get the tune onto ur phone and learn it in bite size chunks...must've wore my old tape player out back in the day learning sets for new bands.

Anyway its a great changing bass part, interesting to play start slow and dont worry about soaring up the neck on the middle section keep the run up  mid neck and it'll still sound great.

The "Amazing Slow Downer" software is a great tool. You can slow down a piece of music and it stays in pitch

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m learning this one up to speed, I’ve got the first 3 notes 😁

Now that was really nice. I could probably get it if i worked at it but couldn't maintain that speed for too long. Would def take me a while to work it out.

Really enjoyed that plus a gorgeous background to be playing against.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s good dave, I worked on my speed quite a bit when I was playing a bit of funk, but I can’t get anywhere near that 

Maybe i should actually try it first before making a bold statement 😂

I used to practice Percy Jones, Jeff Berlin and a few others like them back in early 80's when i was an absolute bass geek and would think nothing of doing that kind of thing but with age i definitely slowed down. Some of that thru lack of pushing myself like i did at 20yrs of age and just losing the inclination or need to play that fast. It did get me into some good bands back in 80's as most rock bands had never heard that style of playing and guitarists used to hate when i played their solo part on the bass. I used to think that was hilarious the first time you do it. The look on a guitarist face was priceless. I was practicing 2-3 hrs every day after work before hitting pub at 9pm. Happy days but i generally dont play fast things like that these days except faffing about in the house when i have no set lists to learn.

I think age has taught me that speed isnt always the best thing to play....... in a band situation of course.

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Could probably do it with a plectrum but there is no way my fingers move that quick for finger style

I have no idea how some people play pick faster than fingerstyle.

My speed record is Joy Joy by Kinga Glyk, I got halfway but now I need to relearn most of it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My speed record is Joy Joy by Kinga Glyk, I got halfway but now I need to relearn most of it.

You're kidding surely, I could play WAY faster with a pick than flapping the sossidge fingers about !

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I don"t really like playing with a plectrum, but I can do it way faster. Physically my second finger cannot keep up with my first, and to play with a pick you are getting two notes for every one with a finger, so it is always going to be faster for me (talking on one string)

I'm generally not a pick player and only restarted using one in past few weeks when I joined a punk covers band but I get severe finger cramp and pins and needles in my fingers after a while. To be fair I have 42 songs to learn in 3-4weeks and at it morn noon and evening. Took Mon off and hand back to normal. I hold the pick very lightly too.

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I get severe finger cramp and pins and needles in my fingers after a while. . I hold the pick very lightly too.

I hold mine like it is the last pick on earth and if I drop it there won't be another one.

And tbh, half the time my pick playing doesn't involve the pick, it uses my thumbnail as a pick!