Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

9 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I use the playback speed feature in the gear icon settings at the bottom of the video to slow it down to 75%. If it's complicated or extremely fast then I'll chuck it into Guitar Pro and take it seriously but YT is fine for jamming.

Do you know what? I have been using Youtube ever since it came out and have never explored this feature. Thanks. That will make learning stuff easier. 👌

6 minutes ago, ubit said:

Do you know what? I have been using Youtube ever since it came out and have never explored this feature. Thanks. That will make learning stuff easier. 👌

You're welcome. I didn't know it was there until someone showed it to me, many bass jams ago.

Did you know all YT videos come with a transcript too? If you are ever in need of just one piece of info when Google answers your question with a YT vid and you cba to play it all the way through. Click on the ... (three dots) menu under the video next to the Likes and a drop down menu will show you Open Transcript.

Edited by MHMSWC#03
  • Like 1

I’m currently working on:

Vulfpeck - Animal Spirits. I’m happy until the bridge/outro when the bass comes back in.

John Mayer - Still Feel Like Your Man. I’m happy with the basic run through as per (not me btw): 

But I’d feel I’m missing out by not now trying to work on the bridge section and outro to get a little creative. This guy does it inspiringly for me: 

On 12/07/2021 at 19:24, Stub Mandrel said:

Are ALL Snow Patrol bass lines that boring?

I'm not sure which song you are referring to but we did "Run' for a while and that certainly was an exercise in staying awake.

On the other hand, we have added 'You Oughta Know' by Alanis Morissette to our setlist and that is a great song to learn.  The bass line is basically all in F# Dorian so there is a lot of scope for adding in your own short phrases from the scale in the song.  I don't usually have this level of freedom doing covers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

On the other hand, we have added 'You Oughta Know' by Alanis Morissette to our setlist and that is a great song to learn.  The bass line is basically all in F# Dorian so there is a lot of scope for adding in your own short phrases from the scale in the song.  I don't usually have this level of freedom doing covers

Superb song! I had forgotten how good that one was. Thanks for reminding me of it.

• Like 1

Don't laugh........

So Lonely

BUT on electric guitar, so that I can "teach" my new bass guitar pupil/GF, who has owned a bass guitar for approx 1 week. The previous less was a more complicated bassline (Girls on Film) and we took a deep-dive into technique, position choice, shifts, octaves etc. This week's was deliberately scaled back to be simpler, so as to concentrate on "groove", tone, note duration, and keeping time with the drummer (a computer looped drum track) while the guitar goes off-piste and a bit cattywompus with timing etc. 

Its difficult observing accurate timing while deliberately playing out of time!

The Way You Make Me Feel by MJ is my current song to learn. Easy to play just got to not let my hand cramp up by playing the same pattern over and over and over and over and over... Then a full and back to the same pattern over and over and over... 

I used to love playing Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Its a busy wee line and as I was  the singer too I loved doing this one as the bass line is in time with no out of time frills. I found easier songs to play harder to sing over.

Back when the band started I was a lazy fecker.

I found other people's covers on YouTube and learned them. Usually just the first verse which I would repeat. 

So I am currently learning the actual bass laid down (I believe) by Bob Babbitt. No shortcuts, full transcription. It's quite a lot better than what I have been playing.

Shiny Happy People. Less and less sure I like some of Mike Mills' lines...probably not good when I'm in an REM tribute. Ooops.

Edit: at least the Youtube clip has great harmonies from Kate Pierson.

Edited by Telebass

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2021 at 19:39, offhegoes84 said:

I’m currently working on:

Vulfpeck - Animal Spirits. I’m happy until the bridge/outro when the bass comes back in.

John Mayer - Still Feel Like Your Man. I’m happy with the basic run through as per (not me btw): 

But I’d feel I’m missing out by not now trying to work on the bridge section and outro to get a little creative. This guy does it inspiringly for me: 

Loving the bass face!

After the 4378 year-long intermission in my bass playing ended last August, the second song I tried to play was Living On A Prayer. Recently returned to it and bothered to memorise it instead of trying to read the scribbles I made copied from who knows where. What an intensely satisfying song to play along with :) 

• Like 1